Pigeon Shooting With Air Rifle

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Looking to do a bit of pigeon shooting with the air rifle at night, permission is moving with them. First time attempting it so anyone got any tips? Cheers

used to do this a lot in my youth, great fun, the pigeons stand out like a sheet of white paper and allow you a couple of shots if you get it wrong, if you have a dog with a good nose take him with you as finding them in the undergrowth at night is not easy even when you saw them drop, the worse part of it when I was a young un, was carrying the huge car battery we used to use for our lamp, but with the modern Cree type torch,s you will have a great time, go for it and enjoy, a most effective way of culling pigeons both feral and wood
  • 3 weeks later...

winter time is the best for results - go out on a cloudy wet night and there silouettes stand out against the cloud cover - it is illegal to use a lamp but you try sticking a lamp on them & I assure you they will all take off regardless of if its night time lol I have been doing this type of culling for many years with great results -a dog is essential if you want to pick "all" birds up -billy

• Like 2

winter time is the best for results - go out on a cloudy wet night and there silouettes stand out against the cloud cover - it is illegal to use a lamp but you try sticking a lamp on them & I assure you they will all take off regardless of if its night time lol I have been doing this type of culling for many years with great results -a dog is essential if you want to pick "all" birds up -billy

mate have a look at people shooting pheasants at night with catty,s on utube, I know it's not legal but as an example, the last thing birds want to do is fly at night, as they find it hard to land in the dark and are likely to break there neck, I have shot sack loads of feral,s at night, by just shooting rows of them off of the ledges and beams in the old grain stores, likewise with woodies have shot several off of one branch while the next one just sits there waiting for there turn,, maybe if it's done with regularity they get lamp shy like other animals, but in 35 years of lamping birds I never found them wanting to take off into the darkness, the last point I would raise, is that several people have said its illegal, but my understanding of this particular law, is that it only covers game birds, I don't know this for sure as I prefer to be invisible, and have therefore never had to explain my actions to a judge, but for anyone wanting to go shooting at night, it would be wise to find out for sure before you start

Woodies round here take flight soon as lamp hits them in roost, not that I've been targeting that way as I have no desire or need to, noticed it serval times while lamping. I've even seem them take flight when a laser sight has passed through the trees. I Imagen very few people have had to explain their actions to a judge, better to warn someone they are been advised to do something illegal, the choice is then In there hands. Personally I couldn't give a damm if they want to lamp birds in roost lol