Whistle Training

• 1 month later...

There are no directional whistles. For a spaniel you have a stop whistle, which they should react to wherever they are in the field. A recall whistle. A turn whistle to change direction when they are hunting at close quarters and a hunt whistle when you want them to hunt the area where they are. Retrievers are the same with the exception of the turn whistle which isn't necessary as you don't hunt them at close quarters.

........and a hunt whistle when you want them to hunt the area where they are.

I haven't heard of this before but sounds interesting. Is this when the dog is on a retrieve and near to a dropped bird or a "cast off" whistle? What is the recognised whistle for this? Thanks.

If the dog is in the area where you know the bird/dummy has landed I blow the 'hunt' whistle, or direct the dog to the area, stop whistle, when the dog is looking at you for instruction blow the 'hunt' whistle. The tone I use is lower and slower than the recall whistle. It is easily trained. When a young dog is sent on a blind retrieve, as it starts to wind the dummy you see the body language change, tail wagging, nose right down searching. If you blow the hunt whistle at this point the dog will associate it with the find, retrieve and therefore the positive reward.

• 2 weeks later...