Don't Get Many Days Like This On The Roach!!

I never normally fish big carp waters, but when I was invited by SeanC to help clear the roach and tench out of the syndicate lake at Emperor lakes, there was no way I was missing out on that.

This is one of the premier carp waters in the SouthWest with carp over 50lb, but the roach and tench (to a lesser degree) are un touched so it would be a trip into the unknown in some ways, I couldn't wait.

I met Sean stocking up with cakes and crisps ( no sugar for 3 weeks was his story lol), then down to the venue..

What a lovely mature lake, set amongst some day ticket waters, the syndicate lake is around 6 acres, very mature and stunning. we had a quick walk around, there were a couple of "pro" carpers hard at it, we decided to plonk ourselves down on the dam wall end, there was good cover from lillies and rushes on the inside and a small island a 40yrd throw away.

This was meant to be a match, with only tench and roach counting, but there were no rules, no weigh in and no prizes lol, it was perfect catch as many roach and tench as you could to move up to the juniors teach in lake, the sites angling coach Jamie had arranged it and was a top fella.

Sean started on the inside, worm and caster (standard tench gear).. queue eels and perch!

I decided to throw a feeder across to the island, I clipped up and set the rod in the rest and it whipped round, when I hit it it felt like a bream, but there are none in there, so into the net slipped the first cracking roach of the day, around 1lb and scale perfect

And so it continued, each chuck the tip wrapped round and another clonking roach was in the net.

Sean stayed on the inside and caught the only tench of the day in our swim a lovely fish of about 6lb.

image_zpsdnn2ng7o.png

Sean was now "poaching" the island swim!! lol, and between us we put together one of the nicest nets of roach I can remember, the fish were all solid 12oz to 1lb fish with a sprinkling of bigger ones and few "small" ones of half a pound or so.

Sean had a real clonker of 2lb or so,... it was awsome fishing.

We added a few rudd, perch and big eels as well from the inside swim, but other than the tench the island was by far the hot spot.

I had to get the kids, but it was difficult to pull myself away from the swim, but a real bonus was Jamie saying we need to do it again, and would I be up for it... ummmm yes please!

Another highlight for me was seeing the biggest carp I've seen in the flesh, it was weighed at just over 48lb and the only carp caught that day, waht a massive fish, as I say not my thing but hats off to the lads that sit for days for 1 bite, thats some reward.

Massive thanks to Sean, and Jamie... can't wait until next time

image_zpske7h2mqz.png

image_zpsw0ek2a8u.png

Edited by NEWKID
  • Like 14

No I can't mate.

We couldn't use a pole, for obvious reason with the size of the carp in there, and had to keep the gear beefed up a bit for the tench.

I was fishing 6lb mainline to 5lb hooklength and a 14 hook, 3 or 4 maggots and they were wrapping the tip around like bream!

These fish are hardly ever caught but are mopping up carp baits and getting fat, there are loads and loads of perch in there controlling the smaller fish and pike over 20lb, we witnessed one smashing a roach beside us.

It's a very healthy water, I'd love an autumn/winter trip there for the roach, in that deeper water at the dam end.

• Like 2

The photo's are a bit rushed as we really wanted to get the fish back in the water ASAP, asthey were being moved, we ran them in slings up the hill and into the teach in pool, they all went back well, but I would of loved to have laid them out properly for a photo,

Great stuff Kev I'm a bit jealous haha atb AT

I'll be honest we were giggling like kids every time we netted another roach, the pics don't really do them justice it was mad..

You could tell they'd never been caught, absolute mint condition, they don't normally allow maggots, the roach must of thought all their birthdays had come at once lol

• Like 1

Mate, that is proper shit your pants stuff!!!

Not a fan of pellet pigs or carp puddles..... Done my fair share of a gallon of maggots in 3 hour evening matches to be sick to death.... But dragging in untouched Roach and tinkas like that would have me giggling aswell. Top class!!!!!!

Matt

• Like 1

Mate, that is proper shit your pants stuff!!!

Not a fan of pellet pigs or carp puddles..... Done my fair share of a gallon of maggots in 3 hour evening matches to be sick to death.... But dragging in untouched Roach and tinkas like that would have me giggling aswell. Top class!!!!!!

Matt

I knew you would understand lol

And they thanked us for doing it lol...

• Like 2

Make sure he NEVER loses your number.....that is a good day out..... Wait till a 10lb barble is dragging you down the river teme or Wye...:.

Matt

I'm banking on you sorting that for me!! Lol

• Like 1