Jill Jabs?

I've never had any of my jills jabbed before but have just had them done this morning. The vet was very vague about whether or not they could come back into season this year. Anybody out there with enough experience of having them jabbed to be able to tell me? They were well and truly fully in season when it was done.

they can come back into season so it works out a expensive way of bring them out of season and repeated injections can leave hard lump under the injection site , if you've a few jills a snipped hobs the cheapest and safest way in my opion

• Like 1

mmm interesting my normal vet said the regs have changed and the company that supplies the stuff now only sells in it £100 bottles and it can't be kept once opened and needs to be used up in 6 hours.

mmm interesting my normal vet said the regs have changed and the company that supplies the stuff now only sells in it £100 bottles and it can't be kept once opened and needs to be used up in 6 hours.

I got my 2 jabbed once vet said same it was expensive cause once opened that was it and they both came back in season got a hob snipped works out much cheaper.

I got my 2 jabbed once vet said same it was expensive cause once opened that was it and they both came back in season got a hob snipped works out much cheaper.

yes I should get one really but don't want to spoil the harmony. I got one hob castrated, one jill spayed and an intact jill that I need sorting really. I did lose a jill last year at about 6 years that was left in season over the course of 2 or 3 years but her condition dropped bad over the summer until winter came then she perked up again. Not sure if that what caused her death or not but her sister the spayed one is still flying about happy as

Edited by terryd
  • Like 1

yes I should get one really but don't want to spoil the harmony. I got one hob castrated, one jill spayed and an intact jill that I need sorting really. I did lose a jill last year at about 6 years that was left in season over the course of 2 or 3 years but her condition dropped bad over the summer until winter came then she perked up again. Not sure if that what caused her death or not but her sister the spayed one is still flying about happy as

Got one here about 9 years old still full of beans and still likes to have her few hours out on the bunnies had 2 litters and been brought out last 2 years with snipped hob rest of time was just left and kept clean never seemed to effect her.

I don't think there's a easy answer the last two snipped hobs I had lasted till they where eight years old then died of testicular cancer more than .a co incedent I thought so last year I left thenm and lost two relatively young Jill's at six and seven years old so this year I'm back to the snipped hob he can work his way threw the Jill's if they come in again he can have another go and £55 to get him done x 11 Jill's xs 3 or 4 mateings a year over his life times will work out at pennies where as when I phoned round the vets the Jill jab prices varied from £8 a Jill to £25 a Jill

Definitely cheaper over the long run with a snipped hob, especially if you've got quite a few jills and most years that's how my jills have been brought out. But this year I no longer have one and my smallest jill has recently started losing quite a bit of condition and I didn't want to risk anything going wrong (especially as she's my best worker), which is why I went for the jab. But planning to get a hob kit this year who'll be snipped as soon as he's old enough so he'll be able to do the honours next year.

• Like 1

I asked at my vet about jill jab. the girl on the front desk didnt know so called a vet out from back, young lass probably not long out college or whatever they do, said jill jab, Ive never heard of that, Im pretty sure you can take them out if season manually by inserting a wet cotton bud if you want me to have a go at that? Goes without saying I didnt book in!!!

got a 4-5 year old jill her of my nephews he had the jab everytime she has been in season and i thought she was very slow coming out of season. my vet tells me it dont always work on all ferrets. the other jill died last summer and i am not sure if it was anything to do with the jabs or not as she was the same age and they have always lived together. neither ferret come back into season until the following summer.

this summer we have put a hob over her and she went out in 5 days and that was with a 24hour visit from the hob. she started loosing her hair under her stomach and the top of her back its a hormone thing by all accounts and by putting her in kit the hair has started to grow back on the bold patches and shes a happier ferret for it. in future i will always try and source a snipped hob.

Had a jill jabbed over the last 4 years and never came back into season till the next spring. It used to cost 25 quid but the vet has now said the legislation has changed and once the vial is opened it had to be used so the cost will go up massively next year. Ive now got 3 more jills which will also need jabbing so it might still be cost effective or I will have to look into getting a snipped hob.