Pine Marten???

Not sure of exact dates but I'd say around 8/9 years ago my neighbour says to me he's seen a Pine Marten running about. I dismissed it as we don't have them down this way. Few weeks later I see it for myself.....? Then I never saw it again.

Back then we were surrounded in unkept thick forestry so an ideal place for it but I did wonder how it got here.

Last few years most of the forestry has either blown or is (and still is the now) being felled.

The other day my neighbour says he's seen another one. Can't get my head around it. Possibly being let loose????

Theres definitely been authorized releases in the borders but wouldn't surprise me if there dropping them out all over, just like the beavers that miraculously appear around Perthshire and am not on about the ones on the tay.

I've seen two dead on the M90 South of Bridge of Earn over the last few years. Spreading South or being released I don't know, but they're definitely not confined to the Highlands now.

Have you...that's interesting. I'm say 30 mins east of that so maybe there is a possibility that they are getting further down.

Few years back if I had the chance I'd have shot it as it could have been a disaster to have it around the rearing field. Now I don't it's perfectly safe and I'd quite like to see it.

I've seen two dead on the M90 South of Bridge of Earn over the last few years. Spreading South or being released I don't know, but they're definitely not confined to the Highlands now.

Have you...that's interesting. I'm say 30 mins east of that so maybe there is a possibility that they are getting further down.

Few years back if I had the chance I'd have shot it as it could have been a disaster to have it around the rearing field. Now I don't it's perfectly safe and I'd quite like to see it.

Excerpt from a report produced by SNH a few years ago; "The range expansion has continued through Perthshire, Tayside and the Trossachs and martens have re-colonised much of Stirlingshire and limited parts of western Angus and Fife. Martens have spread south through Argyll onto the Kintyre and Cowal Peninsulas and are now present in some hectads in the Central Belt".

http://www.snh.org.uk/pdfs/publications/commissioned_reports/520.pdf

I wouldn't surprised if they've had a helping hand. Give it ten years and you'll be tripping over the fcukin things?

They were taking DNA from scats on in North Northumberland a year or two ago and I think it was Martens. They most likely had a help but I bet they have moved into places know one yet knows. One stretch of the A69 West of Hexam seems to have a lot of Polecat road deaths, I have been told they are doing well about there. Also seen dead Polecat on theA 68 not long since.atb.