Air Arms Pro Sport

Hello THL air gunners,

I am thinking of obtaining an Air Arms Pro Sport. I don't know anyone who owns one. I'm a bit long in the tooth and the lads that I know who still shoot only use shotguns or live round firing rifles. I'm not looking for technical info as such or input on the rifle's suitability for use on small game as this is a given. I probably wont be using it that much anyway. When I have a need to use an air rifle I use a Daystate PH6 that I purchased new many years ago but it still performs perfectly, it's only design failing being the fixed magazine. The Pro Sport, in .177 with walnut stock, will purely be an extravagant present to myself and used when the fancy takes me. The only thing that I have ever regretted selling was a Mk 2 BSA Airsporter S many years ago. The Pro Sport ( I have handled one in local gun shop ), reminds me so much of that favourite air rifle that I used to own.

This is the question that I have. What is the problem with the cocking lever ? Is there a problem with the cocking lever ? I've been reading everything that I can find on THL relating to the Pro Sport. Nearly every post that I've read sings the praises of this rifle but some members allude to this as being a weak point in the guns design. However I have not read anything conclusive one way or the other. As written above, the rifle may not be subjected to that much use but at the same time I would not want to invest hard earned money into something with a design flaw no matter how pretty it may be. The Airsporter S was used extensively day and night all year round for years and never missed a beat. This is what the Pro Sport must live up to.

Any input from people who have used a Pro Sport would be much appreciated and will be read eventually but excuse me in advance if it takes me a while to say thank you.

And something that has just popped into my head, as I'm asking for advise. The images that I've seen of Pro Sports have the 'scopes fixed with two piece mounts. We used to use one piece mounts for spring air rifles. Is the use of two piece purely an aesthetic thing for photographs or have there been technological improvements regarding best practice for mounting a 'scope to spring powered air rifles ?

Regards

Eastcoast

• Like 3

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I finally got around to buying a Pro Sport. Maybe not the most practical rifle from the perspective of a sporting tool. Obselete technology as a power source, recoiling action, single shot and slow to

I can only echo mac's comments.   Another vote for the prosport and no problem with two piece mounts at all. But go for quality no cheapy ones  

Where will i start ???   PRO SPORT   more pointable than the tx   balance is perfect   not front end heavy like the tx or the 97   as the under leaver is tucked away under the stock   and

Posted Images

Nothing wrong with a pro sport nothing at all

the only gripe i have about the under leaver is its silver and should be black

but that's just me ,

the balance is spot on one of the best for this .

out the box just put your scope on zero it and off you go

accurate as feck

some say the under leaver snaps off but iv never seen this happen and to be honest they must be built like the hulk to achieve this

Some lads will come along and tell you to buy a tx200

nothing wrong with them a very good rifle

but imo the pro sport stands well above them

but dont take my word on them

iv only had 4 pro sports

and there a top class rifle

atvbmac :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

• Like 3

as long as the pin is out and in one of the three holes the two piece mount will not move at all

and i like the one piece mount

but i like to lamp and the one piece mount dose not leave a lot of room for lamp mounts

post-63400-0-19364000-1464289145_thumb.jpg

post-63400-0-67675700-1464289157_thumb.jpg

post-63400-0-32594900-1464289223_thumb.jpg

post-63400-0-53520100-1464289247.jpg

post-63400-0-25031100-1464289264_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

david is that one a new,ish one

only asking as my mate has a new one and it has a dark walnut stock to

nice by the way David there a cracking rifle

Iv just ask,d my rfd to get me another just to day lol

Absolutely stunning rifles with no gripes as far as I have heard apart from as mac said about the coking lever being silver.

I was very close to getting one myself pal until a tx came up for the right money, but still I have to say they are the best looking springer on the market.

• Like 2

Mac,

Its an older type stock. It hasnt got the fancy pattern on the checkering

But i agree with you its very dark. Really happy with it

• Like 1

Mac,

Its an older type stock. It hasnt got the fancy pattern on the checkering

But i agree with you its very dark. Really happy with it

Iv looked at two or three now (new ones) and they have all been dark walnut

not that it maters to me as i can lighten them up lol

as long as the pin is out and in one of the three holes the two piece mount will not move at all

and i like the one piece mount

but i like to lamp and the one piece mount dose not leave a lot of room for lamp mounts

Practical constructive advice. Thank you.

• Like 1

Epic rifle.

As mr bravo has mentioned, although I hear it doesn't happen to every one, the lever, I don't think is as rugged and 'dependable' as a cocking lever underneath the barrel like on the TX/97. I also found grit or fine bits from field work find there way into the mechs, that requires a strip down clean but it is a superb air rifle. It's looks the bomb and performs it too.

• Like 1

Not sure how edit a previous post on my phone but I see you ask about mounts. I used to believe that one piece mounts are a must on a recoiling set up, but use low single 2 piece on my 97, no issues what so ever.

• Like 1

I've got two, both calibres: 1 & 2

I got my .22 Pro Sport because I couldn't settle with .177. After a lifetime of using .22 It just didn't work for me.

No problems with the cocking levers on mine.

My only gripe is that I usually load left handed (from using an HW35) and the loading aperture has a right handle bias. Gets me almost every time.

.22 are easier to load, especially in cold weather, and find in the dark.

My .22 Pro Sport has become my main gun. Lovely to handle.

The stock on mine has been modded by a previous owner to make it ambidextrous

I have had dalliances with a TX200 and an HW97 but the Pro Sport wins for handling. I found those others to be too front heavy.

It gets a bit hefty after a long wait but I am more than happy with it - I love it.

If you fit a sling, make sure the front swivel is far enough up the barrel as to not foul the cocking stroke.

This is the current set up with a Weaver 1.5 x 1 inch scope on Sportsmatch low mounts.

I have a T20 Red LED clipped on the side.

I go ratting in my duck run.

Got 6 birds sitting on eggs now, so need to bash those rats.

Pro%20Sport%20Weaver%20Low%20001_zpsfih4

• Like 1

Never tried a pro sport got a tx and a 97 I thought a major reason for having two piece mounts is how they spread the weight of the scope over the top of the gun giving a better distribution and less hold sensitivity .

In my book once you have the scope in the perfect location then spread the mounts as far apart as poss to spread the weight I have a one piece mount on a big scope and you can tell the defference but then that is on my 99 a very light nimble gun that probably shouldn't have a masive scope on it.

Why not just get another airsporter ?? supose that would ruin the rose tinted memories.

Get a PS mate, you'll love it :)

If you have a TX and a 97, you'll complete the set as the shooting experience is different but the same as the TX.

I found my own PS more hold sensitive than the TX's I've shot, without a doubt, perhaps due to the front end not being as heavy.