• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ive met Darren to, He was running one of Miss Nobles deerhounds for her Ardkinglas Ace that beat my Becky in the final on an organised event.   Thats him second from the right on this photo.. The

Aye gets some pics up matie.. Some of the main physical differences about Doxhope first crosses when comapred to others of the time, was that they were smaller, stronger, lighter and nimbler. What h

All these hounds have Doxhope blood in them some more than others

Posted Images

Any idea what line of Deerhound Andy Barons were Lurchers ?

i watched a few 3/4 grey 1/4 deerhounds in the 90s andy baron bred and they could do a job on hares. i asked the same question on another forum a while ago and was told the deerhound line was Ardkinglas. :thumbs:

some of you older boys might recall alan wilkinson from county durham,who used to breed pure deerhounds,and deerhoundxgreys,alan used to be the slipper for thedeerhound coursing club,pretty sure there was doxhope in his dogs.but could be wrong,he bred some good stuff for afew years,dont hear any thing of him these days,but hope he is prospering and well,like us all he will be that little bit older. a genuine guy.

• Like 3

Word has it that Miss Noble did Redquil

Yes, it was her. She used a greyhound over one of her deerhound bitches. At the time some people thought she'd done it to get more speed but it wasn't. She did it as she was worried the gene pool was too small and wanted an outcross. Although she continued to cross back to deerhounds nobody else in the breed would use any of those outcrosses in their own breeding programme, which really annoyed her.

• Like 2

Just on the Deerhound craic,when i was up Scotland a fortnight ago i visited where Miss Anastasia Noble lived & her Ardkinglas Deerhounds on the banks of Loch Fyne,i visited for no other reason other than to say id been where part of Deerhound history had been made...

Many,many years ago i ventured North with a mucker seeking a Saluki from the Shap area,at the time the Deerhound Coursing club,because of diminishing membership,was taken over by the Saluki ownership,the Deerhounds were still allowed to compete,do any folk on here have an input into any of that? and how did it fizzle out.The saluki he brought back was a dumb fecker,killed hares and bunnys with aplomb,then spent at least 10 minutes refusing to retrieve each and every one,for 7 years.

Don't know what you mean about the Deerhound Coursing Club being taken over by the salukis. Possibly you're getting mixed up with the Dava meeting? It was run by the Deerhound Coursing Club but was a joint meeting with the Saluki Coursing Club. The deerhounds ran a 32 dog stake for the Dava Quaich but it was nearly always oversubscribed so they'd run another stake for those that didn't get into the draw. The salukis would in theory also run a 32 dog stake but most years that was undersubscribed. It was a 3 day meeting and the final course of the meeting was between the winning deerhound and the winning saluki. Everyone used to stay at the Grant Arms in Grantown-on-Spey. Great craic at night. One year the meeting coincided with Miss Noble's 80th birthday and come about 1.30am when she was one of the last still up and dancing she was moaning about the lack of the youngsters' stamina! (Mind you, by that stage she was no longer traipsing the moor all day on foot - she used to ride in the keeper's argocat.)

• Like 7

some of you older boys might recall alan wilkinson from county durham,who used to breed pure deerhounds,and deerhoundxgreys,alan used to be the slipper for thedeerhound coursing club,pretty sure there was doxhope in his dogs.but could be wrong,he bred some good stuff for afew years,dont hear any thing of him these days,but hope he is prospering and well,like us all he will be that little bit older. a genuine guy.

I remember Alan. Haven't seen him for years, but if boyo reads this he might comment as I believe he keeps in touch...

Any idea what line of Deerhound Andy Barons were Lurchers ?

i watched a few 3/4 grey 1/4 deerhounds in the 90s andy baron bred and they could do a job on hares. i asked the same question on another forum a while ago and was told the deerhound line was Ardkinglas. :thumbs:

Thanks Darbo, I always wondered what lines they were. He seemed to vanish off the scene as quick as he appeared.

Just on the Deerhound craic,when i was up Scotland a fortnight ago i visited where Miss Anastasia Noble lived & her Ardkinglas Deerhounds on the banks of Loch Fyne,i visited for no other reason other than to say id been where part of Deerhound history had been made...

Many,many years ago i ventured North with a mucker seeking a Saluki from the Shap area,at the time the Deerhound Coursing club,because of diminishing membership,was taken over by the Saluki ownership,the Deerhounds were still allowed to compete,do any folk on here have an input into any of that? and how did it fizzle out.The saluki he brought back was a dumb fecker,killed hares and bunnys with aplomb,then spent at least 10 minutes refusing to retrieve each and every one,for 7 years.

Don't know what you mean about the Deerhound Coursing Club being taken over by the salukis. Possibly you're getting mixed up with the Dava meeting? It was run by the Deerhound Coursing Club but was a joint meeting with the Saluki Coursing Club. The deerhounds ran a 32 dog stake for the Dava Quaich but it was nearly always oversubscribed so they'd run another stake for those that didn't get into the draw. The salukis would in theory also run a 32 dog stake but most years that was undersubscribed. It was a 3 day meeting and the final course of the meeting was between the winning deerhound and the winning saluki. Everyone used to stay at the Grant Arms in Grantown-on-Spey. Great craic at night. One year the meeting coincided with Miss Noble's 80th birthday and come about 1.30am when she was one of the last still up and dancing she was moaning about the lack of the youngsters' stamina! (Mind you, by that stage she was no longer traipsing the moor all day on foot - she used to ride in the keeper's argocat.)

Sounded like great days..

Shame they've been taken away..

I met him in the mid 90's at the Ashington show, he had some handy looking dogs about him

when i was 15 my first lurcher was deer grey back to collie, what a dog she was for a novice. trained herself and would run all day at good speed. i didnt realise how lucky i was to have one like her at the time

• Like 1

He works for pest control now or did but you no what the local authorities are like for cut backs,he doesn't have them now and hasn't for 20 yrs plus I think now.

As lurchers said. He now keep gun dogs & doing full time pest control. He used to have an exceptional Deerhound bitch called "Cloud" she ran with local lurchers & did very well. Really nice bloke with a wealth of hunting knowledge. Atb. Krawnden the "Dava" meet was always my favorite ..Happy days!!

What lines were Andy Barons Deershounds ?

There was an article or two in ED / RD on him and he advertised a few too. A friend had a 3/4 Deerhound ,1/4 Greyhound of him.

First one I had was from him, Aphra of Gisburn born 17th July 92, she was by Duke of Cumbria( Hieland Bracken x Beckie of Shawgreen) out of Mollys first Choice (Jansown Harvest Moon xJansown Jilly Flower) The Jansowns went back to mainly Ardkinglas , still have the line

Edited by Sean Hartigan
  • Like 1

deerhounds went out of favour when the good saluki crosses came through the bull crosses and the daft hanckocks we grew up with deerhound crosses

, and the odd one made good hare dogs for daylite on the flat arable feilds localy , not seen a good one for years , but they were about in the early part of the eighties ,by late eghties it was hanckock mania for a few seasons then salukis ,, deerhounds well went to the wall .