Crocky Hall - A Hunting Heritage

It's been a fair few years since i last went to Croxteth Hall. I've hunted in its grounds on many occasions, though lads like All Terrain and others who live on its borders know it like the back of their hands.

This time it was simply a family day out, to the Hall, gardens & farm and honestly, what a bloody good day out!

Why i'm posting this is because of the rich sporting heratage the Molyenux family and the house have. Some of the pictures in the house are fantastic and my sneeky (your not supposed to take pictures!) Phone efforts certainly dont do them justice but here are some bits you may find interesting...

Oh yer, the farm is by far the best i've visited with my daughter, very interactive and bloody good fun. ;)post-8037-0-00082600-1463860003_thumb.jpg

post-8037-0-17311400-1463860059_thumb.jpg

post-8037-0-53368000-1463860130_thumb.jpg

post-8037-0-66665900-1463860210_thumb.jpg

post-8037-0-51066200-1463860261_thumb.jpg

post-8037-0-40001200-1463860324_thumb.jpg

post-8037-0-48501300-1463860460_thumb.jpg

post-8037-0-10995100-1463860573_thumb.jpg

post-8037-0-33665700-1463860639_thumb.jpg

Could look at them old paintings all day .Who was the artist that did the stag and deerhounds.

I didn't get it, on the second snap i got rumbled and had to go but you can see the scale of it with my daughter stood in front, its very impressive.

What i did notice was that most of the real hunting pics were slightly out of the way, which made them harder to get decent pics.

Could look at them old paintings all day .Who was the artist that did the stag and deerhounds.

I didn't get it, on the second snap i got rumbled and had to go but you can see the scale of it with my daughter stood in front, its very impressive.

What i did notice was that most of the real hunting pics were slightly out of the way, which made them harder to get decent pics.

I thought the artist might have been Landseer .

Looks a great old place Bosun. Love all the old historical shit like that. Bet alot of that stuff is worth a few quid but to me their historical value is more. Google Sir Mark Presscott and see some of his stuff . Makes me wonder what is behind closed doors up and down the country. Must be some treasures! atb

• Like 1

Who owns the estate now? How many acres?

I think the city council now own it Dido, i think a lot of the sporting art is now in the Walker Art Gallery in the city.

Cracking pics a place i will have to visit. :thumbs:

Deffo Darbo, as well as the house the walled gardens are great, then the stables and the farm. The real treasure is the old kennels. Not part of the visitor trail, they are magnificent. Maybe AT can get some photos on one of his walks. ;)

Cracking pics a place i will have to visit. :thumbs:

Deffo Darbo, as well as the house the walled gardens are great, then the stables and the farm. The real treasure is the old kennels. Not part of the visitor trail, they are magnificent. Maybe AT can get some photos on one of his walks. ;)

i cant think why ive never been its only about 11 miles away sounds great for a day out and the walled gardens are something id be very intrested in seeing thanks for the heads up. :thumbs:

The Molyenux family (Earls of Sefton), well the first one, came over with William the Conqueror and after giving Harlod some stick near Hastings was given land all around my house. Building his first house just down the road, along with St Helens Church (Sefton Church). Him and his subsiquent Crusading family are entombed there and thats worth a visit too!

Just down the road from the church is 'Old Racecourse Road', where the first Grand National was run before moving to Aintree and over the back of the church is Altcar estate, home of the Waterloo Cup.

If you can zoom in on one of those photos above you can read how the 2nd Earl started both these sporting greats...