Been looking at some kayaks and im tempted myself are the £3-400 ones on Evilbay any good? if not what do other people recommend, I would be using it from the south coast. Thanks in advance for any replys atb Roy

• Like 1

Been looking at some kayaks and im tempted myself are the £3-400 ones on Evilbay any good? if not what do other people recommend, I would be using it from the south coast. Thanks in advance for any replys atb Roy

PM Newkid on here he does a lot of kayak fishing and knows his onions.

TC

• Like 2

White van man and snifferboy also know their way around a kayak.

The kayak that Newkid sorted for me sat a lot lower in the water for some unknown reason and the wetsuits they are awfully tight for some reason.lol

Give em a shout, they will put you right.

Matt

• Like 3

I wouldn't say I'm really experienced mate, but over the last 3 or 4 years I've got more and more into fishing from a kayak.

I've sea fished from boats and shore for as long as I can remember and this is a progression of that, tbh I love it, it's peaceful and even closer to the action then anything I've done. It keeps you thinking, and safety is paramount, don't risk it, if it looks too rough it is too rough!

As far as kayaks are concerned I use a prowler 13 by Ocean Kayaks, I bought it 2nd hand and it was a steal tbh. It's a very good kayak, stable yet quick enough through the water. This is what I would consider when buying, on one hand you want a very stable (which generally means wider and heavier) but on the other this reduces the speed and makes paddling hard, particularly against the tide or wind. I've used shorter and wider kayaks, but they become hard work if you plan longer trips etc. I do a lot of paddling when out, part for fitness and also chasing fish (gannets lol) and trolling lures or feathers which is why I like a more streamlined yak.

You also need to consider you height, weight etc, this all plays a big part in your choice.

My advice would be to go to a decent kayak shop, we have one on the quay here where you can try different models out, if you can try this will give you a good idea of what you'll want, they can also advise.

As Matt said Geth (white van man) is very knowledgeable on he kayaks and a trained instructor, he's an awful angler but that's another story lol, I'm sure he would offer more advise if you want to pm him.

Good luck though mate, it's great fun, I've had all sorts on it over the last few years from mackerel, bass and pollock to hooking and losing a tope right alongside the yak that must of been 60-70lb!! That had the ass twitching lol

Edited by NEWKID
  • Like 3