Learning To Bush

fay

Wats tha want a spaniel for bushing stuff out to lurchers for their for the keepers and bread and cheese men one older poacher once said to me when i was contemplateing getting my first spaniel after haveing failed misrabley with variouse terriers who were more intrested in following the lurchers about.Thank feck i got a spaniel.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've kept terriers and spaniels for bushing and as with everything in the dog world it's horses for courses ... If you had the best bushing terrier and spaniel in the world pitted against each other t

The only problem with that is that they will be going into cover that holds no game and if that system is kept on the dog spends half the day bushing areas where there is no game ... Wasting energy an

I was happy with the small type I kept and worked .I always say different dogs suite different people and would never say one type of busher was supirour over another as long as who is working the dog

Wats tha want a spaniel for bushing stuff out to lurchers for their for the keepers and bread and cheese men one older poacher once said to me when i was contemplateing getting my first spaniel after haveing failed misrabley with variouse terriers who were more intrested in following the lurchers about.Thank feck i got a spaniel.

I've little interest in getting a spaniel but happy to be educated as to their benefits over my terrier, if there are any.

I've little interest in getting a spaniel but happy to be educated as to their benefits over my terrier, if there are any.

Land that hold lots of badger setts can be a nightmare for free running terriers.

Land that hold lots of badger setts can be a nightmare for free running terriers.

That's why I like this Plummer, she has learnt to stay above and doesn't drop in unless told.

That's why I like this Plummer, she has learnt to stay above and doesn't drop in unless told.

Sounds like a goodun Gaz tbh I prefferd spanials due to the fact they only wanted to bush not be intrested in killing owt plus mine were worked were badgers were present and a spaniel from the right breeding working cover comes that natrualy to them makes the job that bit easyer don't get me wrong I have seen some good bushing dogs in the last 45 years from terriers to variose mongrel crosses to spaniels

Sounds like a goodun Gaz tbh I prefferd spanials due to the fact they only wanted to bush not be intrested in killing owt plus mine were worked were badgers were present and a spaniel from the right breeding working cover comes that natrualy to them makes the job that bit easyer don't get me wrong I have seen some good bushing dogs in the last 45 years from terriers to variose mongrel crosses to spaniels

I'm looking forward to seeing some decent spaniels work to be honest. Would certainly consider one in the future if they work cover as well as my terrier or at least a spaniel X terrier. Even though she hasn't dropped below for a while the risk is always there with terriers.

I'm looking forward to seeing some decent spaniels work to be honest. Would certainly consider one in the future if they work cover as well as my terrier or at least a spaniel X terrier. Even though she hasn't dropped below for a while the risk is always there with terriers.

You might be impressed Gaz or not and tbh a spaniel cross would now be my choice the best of both dogs terreir x spaniel even though the strain of springers I had for 30 years were small some springers I have seen I would not have tbh.

You might be impressed Gaz or not and tbh a spaniel cross would now be my choice the best of both dogs terreir x spaniel even though the strain of springers I had for 30 years were small some springers I have seen I would not have tbh.

I've heard good things about the spaniel X terrier but yet to see one work. I've seen some massive springers which definitely wouldn't get in the tight cover that a terrier would. But I'm sure the smaller ones are a different story.

• Like 1

I was happy with the small type I kept and worked .I always say different dogs suite different people and would never say one type of busher was supirour over another as long as who is working the dog is happy that's all that matters.

• Like 3

If i was learning a pup on his own get a dead rabbit put it on abit of string n drag it n have a good oid play with the pup let him get a flavor n scent then take 2 a place where there rabbits bout see how you get on mate but it gonna take time good luck

I was happy with the small type I kept and worked .I always say different dogs suite different people and would never say one type of busher was supirour over another as long as who is working the dog is happy that's all that matters.

Good post that. Would be boring if we all did and needed the same.

• Like 1

I've kept terriers and spaniels for bushing and as with everything in the dog world it's horses for courses ... If you had the best bushing terrier and spaniel in the world pitted against each other the terrain and cover would decide the winner ... If you had an acre of scrub bramble sedge grass and water the spaniel will be victorious ... If you had an acre of hawthorn gauze bushes and tight hedges then the Terrier will be the winner ... Terrain and type of cover will always be the great leveller ... keep the dog that suites the ground you work and you will always be the winner .........

• Like 6

they were very good worked every bit of cover down here from moors to tight bramble hes bitch never once faulted she was a very good bitch :thumbs:

I owned a red fell that would await my command to drop in,she was worth her weight in gold on certain ground,the vast majority of bushing terriers will enter,if they don,t its because they don,t have the minerals for it.Its knowing the land and how to hunt it,leash the mutt and bypass the land or learn to deal with a working terrier.

I've kept terriers and spaniels for bushing and as with everything in the dog world it's horses for courses ... If you had the best bushing terrier and spaniel in the world pitted against each other the terrain and cover would decide the winner ... If you had an acre of scrub bramble sedge grass and water the spaniel will be victorious ... If you had an acre of hawthorn gauze bushes and tight hedges then the Terrier will be the winner ... Terrain and type of cover will always be the great leveller ... keep the dog that suites the ground you work and you will always be the winner .........

I see where you are coming from Socks,the trouble is that the average bushing jukel will cover numerous ground scenarios in the practice of a days ratching about,a useful busher will work them all,be that Spaniel,terrier,Beagle or any combo of each.At the end of the day its about individual preference which is often dictated by our first bushing experiences.I prefer terriers because they should be able to graft above and below with the same commitment,others don,t want the trouble of an entered terrier and have a kennel to suit.