Learning To Bush

fay

Time and patience is the key I reckon. If they are gonna get it, they will get it.

Gaz is on the money here. ya can teach a dog to do a lot of things but at the end of the day if it hasn't got it it hasn't got it. They need to have a natural instinct. Ya can teach any old mut to chase rocks in to the scrub ha ha.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've kept terriers and spaniels for bushing and as with everything in the dog world it's horses for courses ... If you had the best bushing terrier and spaniel in the world pitted against each other t

The only problem with that is that they will be going into cover that holds no game and if that system is kept on the dog spends half the day bushing areas where there is no game ... Wasting energy an

I was happy with the small type I kept and worked .I always say different dogs suite different people and would never say one type of busher was supirour over another as long as who is working the dog

Throwing stones in cover,lol ffs God help us,next thing will be throwing kibble into cover,you lot crack on,maybe get a Plummer does all the hard work for you from what I hear

You thinking about adding one to your team squab?

Guest foxpack

As said.Spot with plenty of rabbits and plenty of scent will kick start a youngster off.I always have a experienced dog with us when setting pups off .once there keen I.'ll take them by themselves .so there not relying on the adult to find .

• Like 2

Don't get an earth dog is a good idea lol I got mine for digging but use him for bushing and twice now he's dropped in one someone at home f***ing off a whole field and over a river the other week for me to be getting readings at 3 metres deep until he came out trying to get down another hole after being given the run around and I dived on the b*****d to stop him, place was huge. The other time was at 2.2m in the middle of a public footpath which was an interesting dig ?

• Like 1

The terrier I've got here is the wife's..it main roll is A couch dog.lakie X jrt as far as I'm aware the parents weren't working dogs either just granny couch dogs.it would get very excited outside of cover and scenting the floor but would not enter cover at all wouldn't put a foot in cover.my bull X would enter thick cover better.

No other bushing dogs around me to go out with to show the bitch the way forward.

So a few sneaky stones thrown in to cover over a month has done the trick.it might not suit anyone else but it worked for me.the noise and ruzzle of the stone was to tempting and the bitch was soon going into cover.1ft first for a week then a little further.no more than 2 stones in a 1 hr walk now she will go on her own and.no stones have been thrown for a good while.

I'm just stating what worked for me.and couldn't really give a feck what anyone else says lol

• Like 3

The terrier I've got here is the wife's..it main roll is A couch dog.lakie X jrt as far as I'm aware the parents weren't working dogs either just granny couch dogs.it would get very excited outside of cover and scenting the floor but would not enter cover at all wouldn't put a foot in cover.my bull X would enter thick cover better.

No other bushing dogs around me to go out with to show the bitch the way forward.

So a few sneaky stones thrown in to cover over a month has done the trick.it might not suit anyone else but it worked for me.the noise and ruzzle of the stone was to tempting and the bitch was soon going into cover.1ft first for a week then a little further.no more than 2 stones in a 1 hr walk now she will go on her own and.no stones have been thrown for a good while.

I'm just stating what worked for me.and couldn't really give a feck what anyone else says lol

well said if it gets results all well and good

Don't get an earth dog is a good idea lol I got mine for digging but use him for bushing and twice now he's dropped in one someone at home f***ing off a whole field and over a river the other week for me to be getting readings at 3 metres deep until he came out trying to get down another hole after being given the run around and I dived on the b*****d to stop him, place was huge. The other time was at 2.2m in the middle of a public footpath which was an interesting dig

Some years back wile bushing with a mate who had terriers same thing happened that could have seen me up in court for badger digging at least with a spaniel its more convincing that your not disturbing old brock lol.

• Like 1

Throwing stones in cover,lol ffs God help us,next thing will be throwing kibble into cover,you lot crack on,maybe get a Plummer does all the hard work for you from what I hear

do plummers throw stones as well :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

yes but they far better with a catapult lol

tongue in cheek mate was on the sauce last night,spaniel x terriers work for me round here so won't try and fix something that's not broken cheers.
  • Like 3

tongue in cheek mate was on the sauce last night,spaniel x terriers work for me round here so won't try and fix something that's not broken cheers.

Haha I know it was tongue in cheek mate. I fully understand why the plummers get a bad rap, spoke to plenty of people with shit ones since I've had this bitch. Too many people showing them and breeding closely to lock in the good looks and not enough people working them or breeding worker to worker.

Same with lots of things though I suppose. The good ones are out there and are very good.

I cant (at the moment) see spaniel blood bringing anything to the table that I haven't already got, but I've got an invite out with a lad who only works his spaniels in cover and he assures me my mind will be changed.

Ways your ways of getting a Dog hunting on its own with out any other dogs to show it

Time and effort in the field,the young tyro busher that is hardened to various scent and sight,time,after time,after time,should learn to act and hunt accordingly.Its often more difficult to curb and not encourage the instincts of a future busher.

Haha I know it was tongue in cheek mate. I fully understand why the plummers get a bad rap, spoke to plenty of people with shit ones since I've had this bitch. Too many people showing them and breeding closely to lock in the good looks and not enough people working them or breeding worker to worker.

Same with lots of things though I suppose. The good ones are out there and are very good.

I cant (at the moment) see spaniel blood bringing anything to the table that I haven't already got, but I've got an invite out with a lad who only works his spaniels in cover and he assures me my mind will be changed.

Be interesting to hear what you think once you've had that day with the spaniels Gaz....

Be interesting to hear what you think once you've had that day with the spaniels Gaz....

I will report back fella ??