Learning To Bush

fay

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've kept terriers and spaniels for bushing and as with everything in the dog world it's horses for courses ... If you had the best bushing terrier and spaniel in the world pitted against each other t

The only problem with that is that they will be going into cover that holds no game and if that system is kept on the dog spends half the day bushing areas where there is no game ... Wasting energy an

I was happy with the small type I kept and worked .I always say different dogs suite different people and would never say one type of busher was supirour over another as long as who is working the dog

Use a dead rabbit play tug game with it with the pup and it'll click let pup rag it and hide dead rabbit in obvious place and encourage pup to find it reward pup when it finds it at this time of year a dead rabbit is easy to get just check the lanes out

• Like 2

A few stones thrown into cover without the dog seeing you do it works wonders they will soon be going in with a little encouragement.

Edited by king

A few stones thrown into cover without the dog seeing you do it works wonders they will soon be going in with a little encouragement.

The only problem with that is that they will be going into cover that holds no game and if that system is kept on the dog spends half the day bushing areas where there is no game ... Wasting energy and time .......

• Like 5

The only problem with that is that they will be going into cover that holds no game and if that system is kept on the dog spends half the day bushing areas where there is no game ... Wasting energy and time .......

I totally agree with you socks.

as an example there's an old slag tip a few hundred yds away from me that's mainly bramble gorse etc. Theres a good few rabbits about there.this 12 month old terrier bitch here wouldn't go into cover at all months ago but she could scent them and was getting very excited l.but still wouldn't go.a few stones thrown into the middle of thick cover with some encouragement.soon had her going in.only 2ft to start with and I would do it say twice a day at random intervals during an hour walk as the weeks went on she would go further and further.now she will go in and even crawl on her stomach to go in.and I haven't thrown a stone for a long while.as I walk alone she didn't have another busher to follow.she now scents them and flys in.

• Like 1

The time of the year imho is a relavant factor its better starting a young dog when the covers down and no distractions like lurchers running about the easyist way is to get them out with older exspeirenced bushers.Then again if its a well bred spaniel or one of the spaniel cross breds those I have had and seen working cover comes as natrualy to them as ducks to water

Edited by tatsblisters

There are things you can do as suggested to help but Imo it should be natural thing to do, if a dog needs encouraging to enter cover that is breed for bushing then something is wrong. Maybe I have been lucky but the ones I have had (all terriers) have never needed encouraging especially if there is stuff around and Iam talking from a very early age Getting them out around scent early and honing there skills and hopefully having some fun is the key In my eyes atb

Edited by matt1979
  • Like 1

Find an area coated with bunnies let it suss it for itself, a local school shut down near me and it was always full of rabbits so used to take the terrier pup there from the day he was allowed out and he would push em out the hedges from around the classrooms ?? now he's mustard

Edited by j1985

Hunting rabbits in soft cover like long grass, rushes or heather that has no rabbit holes so they cant drop to ground is ideal for pups they will soon smash heavy cover after them without even realising it. Shoot a fresh warm rabbit for them to smell and mouth it and they,ll know what they,re after.