Final Visit To The Rookery

20160514_164315_zps5qu4nk0p.jpg keeper asked us to pay a final visit to the big rookery and although only 2 rapids in action we ended up with a canny bag weather was kind to us and a pat on the back from landowner ensures another trip in the future
  • Like 6

It probably was a final visit - from your the pics in this post and the last one, I don't think there's anything left to shoot :o:D

If they were shooting 'branchers' the young rooks just leaving their nests there are usually three days to shoot them as typically the three eggs are laid a day apart and the chicks emerge from the nests a day apart - weather dependent.

I used to love thinning the rooks out. Around the 11th to 15th of May I'd be watching the rookery every day. Just spotting them amongst the leaves was an art, then if it was windy the shot could be challenging. Usually I was told to take out one for each nest and then go back the second day and take around half of the number of nests, around 70 to 80 in all, and a few passing squirrels.

• Like 1