Wheaton X - Running Style

I have a weird question for you guys, my lamping partner got a lovely pup at 12 weeks old off good working wheaton lines , she is a 3/8 5/8 bitch. She is none 10 months old and she has put in a lot of time with her and we had her on the lure since she was 6 months , nothing major just to get em keen only a small sprint. So i have a pup I need myself a bull x same a month younger and we have been watching run together and they are the same speed but his bitch runs like I've never seen before , her 2 back legs stay together all the time , instead of one in front of the other. It's like the way a terrier runs and she is a very square bitch. Have you ever seen this and is it normal in this cross as I sincerely haven't seen and I seen a lot of lurchers running?? I wondered is she hurt but no lame leg or pain.Thanks in advance!??

Young dogs are in the transitional period of their development. As dogs grow they are adapting to their body. His lack of coordination shouldn't last long and go as he matures. If he looks stiff, the bunny hopping gait is constant, or it sits to one side each time, painful to touch then I'd be bringing the dog to the vets to have X-rays to its hips, spine, although at that age no evidence may show up.

I don't think you have anything to worry about for now. I'm no vet, you make the call by your own observations.

Good luck

• Like 2

Now I'm slightly worse for wear this morning post bbq lol,but could I just be stating the obvious that the dogs thrown to th wheaten and that's the way it's going to run,like a terrier? Percentages are only a guide line in a breeding.

yes that is what I taught but I have never seen this before I should add the she is 25inc tall already so not small! Thanks lads two good inputs!

When it's behind a rabbit it's through gait will show i'd say. Plus wtf is it with people letting pups run lure so young!

The old rag racers got them going to a towel pretty much from the nest. The trick is to give em just enough to get them keen but not enough to piss them off with it. That's what I reckon anyway. I always introduce pups to most things at a young age but keep it fun rather than serious.

My bitch hurt herself once after a rabbit that ran between a foot wide gap in between two brick walls!! She smashed both hips on the way through and wasn't right for months, after she ran like you mentioned for a ages. Never stopped her doing her job but I did notice the season after that she had slowed up slightly but maybe that was just her getting older who knows. Anyway she runs normal now, well she would if she wasn't 8 weeks pregnant lol

• Like 1

When it's behind a rabbit it's through gait will show i'd say. Plus wtf is it with people letting pups run lure so young!

The old rag racers got them going to a towel pretty much from the nest. The trick is to give em just enough to get them keen but not enough to piss them off with it. That's what I reckon anyway. I always introduce pups to most things at a young age but keep it fun rather than serious.

It was more the development of muscle, ligaments and tendons that I was thinking of that may end up damaged.

By keeping a young dog on the leash for 14 month or whatever will learn it jack shit mate,just like children & physical education at school which is scientifically proven to be beneficial to them,why not a dog?..letting a dog have a bit of free running,rough & tumble with other mutts is part & parcel of growing up & a spin on the lure for a couple of hundred yards isnt exactly the same as a 3 minute lung buster on the Fens lol,trust me by hardly ever letting a dog off the leash until it's "old enough" will do no one any favours both man or dog imo..

• Like 1

It was more the development of muscle, ligaments and tendons that I was thinking of that may end up damaged.
By keeping a young dog on the leash for 14 month or whatever will learn it jack shit mate,just like children & physical education at school which is scientifically proven to be beneficial to them,why not a dog?..letting a dog have a bit of free running,rough & tumble with other mutts is part & parcel of growing up & a spin on the lure for a couple of hundred yards isnt exactly the same as a 3 minute lung buster on the Fens lol,trust me by hardly ever letting a dog off the leash until it's "old enough" will do no one any favours both man or dog imo..

I rarely have a lead on me when out with dogs young and old, but I tried not to let them run something until they seem physically mature.

100 yards slip on the lure just to keep em keen and learn like the guys said is why we do it! cheers lads that's us happy ??