Collies And Curs.

Iv had two one being my blue bitch ! She's trotted behind things and refused to run ! Once she was injured and the other was exact same field she hit a eletric fence in few weeks before since then she's had injury after injury and hasn't really been fit since before Xmas but I have absolute no doubt or the lads that have seen her run that come September when she's fighting fit she will be back to normal

• Like 1

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

got a pup coming out of this breeding pure collie x coursing stuff    

I'm assuming your dogs were bred out of "poor" quality stock then Ray as are many Collie x's & that's a fact,get the right collie & you won't get any of that malarkey you speak of i can assure

My dads dog,,, DON. 5/8 collie in the mix, and he's no thinker... In fact total opposite, he was a kamakazee type dog rabbiting etc, full on, no reverse. Took everything aswell, and done everything,

Posted Images

Guest Snitch99

Nice dog bosun.

Good few years back. Digging with keeper towards south wales. He had a cur as he would call it. Probably 30 percent collie blood. It was the only dog he took digging in a nice place in soutern wales. And this particualar keeper was a very keen terrier man. This dog was a master hole dog. And wasnt afraid.

Suprised me. And i was accustomed to bull x as was surrounded by them at time.

The fella hated the dog. As it reallllly wouldnt let go of its quarry. Atb

• Like 3
  • 3 months later...

Nice dog bosun.

Good few years back. Digging with keeper towards south wales. He had a cur as he would call it. Probably 30 percent collie blood. It was the only dog he took digging in a nice place in soutern wales. And this particualar keeper was a very keen terrier man. This dog was a master hole dog. And wasnt afraid.

Suprised me. And i was accustomed to bull x as was surrounded by them at time.

The fella hated the dog. As it reallllly wouldnt let go of its quarry. Atb

What was the other 70 percent?

I always find that the problem with discussing pastoral dogs (both pure and within a lurcher) is that so many people think they all behave like a stereotypical Border Collie.

I don't know if any of you saw the recent Kate Humble programme about Welsh Sheepdogs but a comment by one old Welsh gent really struck me as hitting the nail on the head re the difference between the two main "types" of herding dog. He was saying about Borders in trials going this way and that with a stream of "Come Bye," and "Away." He then pointed out that a Welsh Sheepdog doesn't work like this...put one in a field with a flock of sheep and the dog will naturally take them to the gate or pen.

The problem is that people watch this display and think the dog is a genius when in fact it's a good trainer (or rather a good trainer of that type of dog). Surely a dog which is sent out into a vast area and brings in a flock on its tod is more of a genius.

I'm not saying that a dog like that ISN'T good, merely that breeding from dogs like this is more likely to produce dogs which ONLY work like this...and it's this type of collie which the collie-haters hold up as their reasoning behind why anything with collie in is useless..."I want doers: not thinkers!" etc.

Edited by Neal
  • Like 5

I always find that the problem with discussing pastoral dogs (both pure and within a lurcher) is that so many people think they all behave like a stereotypical Border Collie.

I don't know if any of you saw the recent Kate Humble programme about Welsh Sheepdogs but a comment by one old Welsh gent really struck me as hitting the nail on the head re the difference between the two main "types" of herding dog. He was saying about Borders in trials going this way and that with a stream of "Come Bye," and "Away." He then pointed out that a Welsh Sheepdog doesn't work like this...put one in a field with a flock of sheep and the dog will naturally take them to the gate or pen.

The problem is that people watch this display and think the dog is a genius when in fact it's a good trainer (or rather a good trainer of that type of dog). Surely a dog which is sent out into a vast area and brings in a flock on its tod is more of a genius.

I'm not saying that a dog like that ISN'T good, merely that breeding from dogs like this is more likely to produce dogs which ONLY work like this...and it's this type of collie which the collie-haters hold up as their reasoning behind why anything with collie in is useless..."I want doers: not thinkers!" etc.

I like them dogs that think. Saves me having to do. :thumbs:

• Like 1

owned a 1st x collie grey back in 80,s bred from farm dog never stalked- killed owt you wanted it to best fox dog ive owned -stick a rope around its neck and no farmer /keeper would get near you on his days off played happily in street with kids and never started a fight but ended plenty 25 inches and built like a tank

• Like 1

My dads dog,,, DON.

5/8 collie in the mix, and he's no thinker... In fact total opposite, he was a kamakazee type dog rabbiting etc, full on, no reverse. Took everything aswell, and done everything, from ratting, ferreting, lamping, beating, digging, etc etc,,,, The Dog had a broken leg has a pup, and lost his eye to a kick from a beast later in his career which stopped the lamping had it made him blind in one eye...he's still doing bits on the fells and mooching about but not as much nowadays.

9048677A-127C-4B97-AE14-2726236076C0_zps

20302E2F-E5BC-43AA-955B-A81346103531_zps

• Like 8

My dads dog,,, DON.

5/8 collie in the mix, and he's no thinker... In fact total opposite, he was a kamakazee type dog rabbiting etc, full on, no reverse. Took everything aswell, and done everything, from ratting, ferreting, lamping, beating, digging, etc etc,,,, The Dog had a broken leg has a pup, and lost his eye to a kick from a beast later in his career which stopped the lamping had it made him blind in one eye...he's still doing bits on the fells and mooching about but not as much nowadays.

My kind of dog is Don. In fact i'm off to look at something similar this week :thumbs:

• Like 2

My dads dog,,, DON.

My kind of dog is Don. In fact i'm off to look at something similar this week :thumbs:
hopefully work out for you. Hopefully he will pass his traits on when he lines my bitch swift. She should of broke over the summer but never. Typical.

Toughness, hard, Reliable, honest... There the traits that made up for that missing top gear he never had.

• Like 3

My dads dog,,, DON.

hopefully work out for you. Hopefully he will pass his traits on when he lines my bitch swift. She should of broke over the summer but never. Typical.

Toughness, hard, Reliable, honest... There the traits that made up for that missing top gear he never had.

Swift would be a fine choice. But remember, breed close and cull hard. But I'm sure dont need me to tell you that.

• Like 1

Owend a few collie crosses, of different types, over the years and none of mine ever stalked but i've seen plenty that do. Like the mutt i have now, with a massive dollop of collie blood running through him, the ones i owned were fit and full of themselves and would bust a gut for gear.

They aint for everyone and need someone that suits the type.

A mate of mine has a skulking, sly, wall-eyed merle bitch now that punches well above her weight, all collie cur, she looks at almost everything that moves as potential prey, people included! She's full of herself, almost supremley confident in her own ability as a huntress.

Mine..attachicon.gif2016-05-14 20.04.12.jpg

looks dreadful! :thumbs:
That's big city air for you
  • Like 1

From my limited experience I would definitely say it depends on the border collie used and unless you are familiar with the collie you'll never be truly sure what lurcher you'll end up with.

I've definitely seen two very differing styles in the border collies I've had, both will do the job, but I definitely preferred one over the other.

It's stereotyping to say all collies stalk their game won't crash hedges etc.....yes a lot do, but did you know much about the collie used.

All the lamping I did with my pure collies.......they never stalked at all. I've found the lower percentage of collie in there the more they seem to stalk.

The Border lurcher I had with a splash of beardie in it was nothing like the border collies lurchers I worked.

The little spaniel lurcher I've got now does more stalking (and herding) than any pure border collie I've had or collie lurcher I've owned, but for me this is something she uses to her advantage, it sort of closes the gap between her and faster dogs, allowing her to catch more often than any other dog I've owned......I wouldn't swap her stalking for anything, it's added to her field craft and stealth, I love watching it, in the right environment its lethal.

Edited by wuyang
  • Like 1

Owend a few collie crosses, of different types, over the years and none of mine ever stalked but i've seen plenty that do. Like the mutt i have now, with a massive dollop of collie blood running through him, the ones i owned were fit and full of themselves and would bust a gut for gear.

They aint for everyone and need someone that suits the type.

A mate of mine has a skulking, sly, wall-eyed merle bitch now that punches well above her weight, all collie cur, she looks at almost everything that moves as potential prey, people included! She's full of herself, almost supremley confident in her own ability as a huntress.

Mine..attachicon.gif2016-05-14 20.04.12.jpg

looks dreadful! :thumbs:
That's big city air for you

May be I'll try some one day!