Help Needed (Kent)

Can anyone help me out, my dog is 6 months old and as he's my first so I'm not sure if what I'm doing is right or wrong, his recall is a bit hit and miss when he wants to do it so I'm just sticking at it but it don't get any better, so what I'm asking is can anyone in the Folkestone/Ashford area take me under there wing and help me out to get my dog to work.

Thanks for any help

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Shoot the f****r and get a dog more suited to a beginner

If he won't come back just keep walking away from him only ask once maybe twice if it windy or he good distance away, get him used to being leashed up then let off recalled and off again so he knows l

mate hes six mounths old and a saluki cross give him time have plenty of patiance headach tablets can help ther for you atb

It's still a pup,it will do annoying things,if your free walking it and it's of that nature to do what it wants ID go back to the garden kerp it near. Don't work if yet you will sicken it,and itz summer.

If he won't come back just keep walking away from him only ask once maybe twice if it windy or he good distance away, get him used to being leashed up then let off recalled and off again so he knows leash ain't just beginning and end of fun he having use plenty rewards also mix up your route plenty as they easily get familiar n bored, he only very young n likely the worst headstrong phase is too come yet best advice already given don't get into the whole shouting loss of temper scenario it's not worth going there simply walk away it will follow eventually best of luck mate

• Like 3

I found it useful for the dog to learn that YOU are where the fun comes from - whether it be a ball, a dummy or a toy, the dog will stick with you and come back to you if he thinks you are going to do something fun. This will then progress to associating you with whatever game you are hunting.

If he only associates you with walking to heal / going back on the lead then hes got no good reason to come back to you while hes off having his own fun.

As others have told you, the most important thing is to create a bond between the two of you - you are a hunting team at the end of the day. You cant operate without each other.

All the best

• Like 1

I found it useful for the dog to learn that YOU are where the fun comes from - whether it be a ball, a dummy or a toy, the dog will stick with you and come back to you if he thinks you are going to do something fun. This will then progress to associating you with whatever game you are hunting.

If he only associates you with walking to heal / going back on the lead then hes got no good reason to come back to you while hes off having his own fun.

As others have told you, the most important thing is to create a bond between the two of you - you are a hunting team at the end of the day. You cant operate without each other.

All the best

Spot on that! My fella comes without a call now, he loves a good wrestle when he gets back. I'm where the fun is? Edited by stevo79

Salukis can be tw@s but dont panic with the dog, keep calm and try to find a way to engage with the dog start with as many games as possible that can stimulate the dog and reward when ever the dog comes in whever it be a treat? a play? a throw of a toy? but dont over do it do it a couple of times then move on back to the lead. Try and let the dog have a whip round first to burn off the initial excitement when its first off the lead it is just going to want to run around like a mad thing let it do it then try and get the dog focused on you, you might have to walk away to get it coming in to your direction. Try and do it all in a place where there are not too many distractions like a lot of other dogs or especially a lot of game like rabbits because the dog will just want to go hunting on its own agenda. Salukis have a massive prey drive and want to hunt a lot so you need to mould the dog and in basic terms the dog needs to see you as the source of its hunting, I don't let my dog off a lot to be honest apart from play time as I am a lamping man, I don't want the dog running loose following its nose in fields I want it walking to heel next to me so I have done it from day one. Do it little at a time and don't bore the dog or expect a robot 100% recall straight away you and the dog can have bad days, build it up, stay dedicated and try and keep it as fresh as you can. I'm not too far Hastings way.