Vasectomise Hob Or Get The Jills Spade

As the title states really I'm getting 3 ferrets I'm unsure as to get 2 girls and a hob and get the boy done or get 3 girls and get them all done?? Any suggestions or advice .. oh and money isn't an issue.. as I know 1 may cost more than 3 etc cc.. but I just want the best for my ferrets cheers

I've got both as I need to breed jills some years to replenish stock but if your never going to breed off your jills then get them done it will save you a load of hassle ..........

• Like 1

Alike humans it's a easier operation on the male so I would go for the snipped hob option and if you ever did wanto too breed them it's easy to borrow a complete hob

Alike humans it's a easier operation on the male so I would go for the snipped hob option and if you ever did wanto too breed them it's easy to borrow a complete hob

I was under the impression vasectomising a hob is actually a pretty tricky operation. As a result quite a few vets don't offer it. The last time I had a hob snipped I rang round about a dozen vets to get quotes and about half of them said they won't do it as it's too complicated.

I was under the impression vasectomising a hob is actually a pretty tricky operation. As a result quite a few vets don't offer it. The last time I had a hob snipped I rang round about a dozen vets to get quotes and about half of them said they won't do it as it's too complicated.

I had one refuse to do it too but there are plenty who will. My advice would be to shop around, I was quoted anything from 60 quid right up to 130.00

I had one refuse to do it too but there are plenty who will. My advice would be to shop around, I was quoted anything from 60 quid right up to 130.00

Like you I had a range of quotes. From memory I think the cheapest was £73 but most expensive was about £180!

Like you I had a range of quotes. From memory I think the cheapest was £73 but most expensive was about £180!

If you ever want one done drop it down to me mate I will get my vet to do it ......

If you ever want one done drop it down to me mate I will get my vet to do it ......

Cheers fella, will do.... :thumbs:

Just got one of mine done £55 his six weeks are up next weekend and. I can try him with one Jill to see if it's worked , the problem with snipping a hob is the blood vessels run right beside the tubes and if they don't know what there doing they can remove the wrong thing that's why most vets are keen to send away the bits they have removed and you have to pay another £70 to see they have done there work correctly , but it's a smaller operation than doing a Jill which can only be a good thing

• 2 months later...

Got 2 Jills and a vas hob. It gives me options if the jills wont bolt anything i can always stick the hob down the hole. Always have the option to breed from the jills in the future if you need to as well.

If the jills can't bolt then I wouldn't breed off them .......

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Got 2 Jills and a vas hob. It gives me options if the jills wont bolt anything i can always stick the hob down the hole. Always have the option to breed from the jills in the future if you need to as well.

If the jills can't bolt then I wouldn't breed off them .......

Totally agree with socks only breed off your very best Jill all our Jill's work fine but we have 2 exceptionly good Jill's and these are the only two we breed from the others are spayed. We also have a vasectomised hob if we don't want to breed at all in a particular year to take the other 2 Jill's out of season