Ancient Hunting Dogs

Thanks, lots of info here. I read that one of the main exports of pre roman britain were hunting dogs, the other being slaves.

I've seen alot of cur looking hunting dogs when living in zanzibar and, much more rarely, some saluki looking running dogs. I believe they hunt small antelope and pigs with them but must be slim pickings as the island it's very populous and anything that moves tends to get eaten.

Does anyone know of any books or sites that would be of interest?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think the dogs we have in this country,,in there present form,,,are some of the newest types,,,there ancestry might be old,,,but there along way from what they were....   Looking for old types,,yo

Waiting for the bolt  

Romans coursing mosaic ... Our breeds are ancient

Posted Images

The Mastiffs - The Big Game Hunters by David Hancock is a cracking book on this subject if you can get your hands on a copy :thumbs:

ive seen copies of that book for sale between £1,000 to £2.000 :thumbs:

The Mastiffs - The Big Game Hunters by David Hancock is a cracking book on this subject if you can get your hands on a copy :thumbs:

ive seen copies of that book for sale between £1,000 to £2.000 :thumbs:

I've got a slightly damaged copy you can have for £800 :whistling:

• Like 2

mqBJUH7l.jpg

"Portrayal of par force hunt on stag in which the strong-headed hounds or running mastiffs, using sight and scent, run down their quarry."

First picture from the book, will have a dig through later see if there's any more worth putting up on here :thumbs:

• Like 1

I agree with BGD regarding Col. D. Hancock M.B.E. book's as a good source of material on the origins of our modern breeds. I once ordered one of his books by post and a few weeks later received a hand written letter by the man himself apologising for the fact that the advertised book was not yet in print due to unforeseen circumstances. My cheque was included. The thing is though I hadn't ordered the book direct from him but he had obviously taken it upon himself to make sure that no one was being ripped off. An officer and a gentleman. If anyone is interested I also have a copy of " The Mastiffs.." that is now up for sale for £799.99.

Dr. Dieter Fleig has also written a few interesting books, in my opinion, mostly on the subject of the origin of fighting dog breeds which maybe came to us from the mastiff types and I believe our coursing hounds and little digging dogs share a common ancestry with this type. Carson Richie " The British Dog ", the list goes on.

However, the more you read the more that you realise that the people who write the books don't REALLY have the answers. Most of the books contradict each other or even worse they regard previous works as fact rather than theory. I have recognised many images in certain books taken from paintings or wall engravings being used as categorical proof the such a type dates back to whenever and originated in wherever, then the same images used in another book being used to prove the same for a different type of modern breed.

Ignorance is bliss but a little knowledge is a dangerous thing. Unfortunately for me I fall into the both categories.

A very interesting thread though.

• Like 2

Col D Hancock's books are well worth a read ,they are well researched and debunk a few of the often repeated myths that a lot of books just blindly repeat ,far and away the best books out there for people interested in the working dog .

• Like 1

Hers one I just found if it loads,,,just look at them terrain,,

A lot of fellas use Ibizan crosses for fox dogs here in oz. A good mate has a couple of half crosses they're top dogs, they catch him foxes in hard country every wk 12 months of the year. Great hunters and awesome endurance.

Hers one I just found if it loads,,,just look at them terrain,,

great video funny how that music makes me change from wanting to give the Mrs a slap to go in out defending her honour and kill a few Indians with a big..... Blue..... Thing

It's not a available according to amazon. That terrain is incredible is those clips, pretty sure mine would break a leg pretty fast!

yeh, but i reckon those dogs dont go flat out, they learn to hold back a bit, and strike then :yes: