Started The Hw77 Stock

Can't believe I missed this thread, just read through it from the beginning and bloody hell another lovely stock.

Just follow this Tom when you do Matty's lol

and it will be stunning

atvbmac :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

• Like 1

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Back in its action lads that's it all done on this thread   Simon gave it its seal of approval   atvbmac :thumbs:

Some more now she is dry enough to handle   she will get another coat on to night lads but this time im putting the oil on with my fingers a little at a time Less is better than more at this stage .

At last some good pics of it   atvbmac :thumbs:

Posted Images

Can't believe I missed this thread, just read through it from the beginning and bloody hell another lovely stock.

Just follow this Tom when you do Matty's lol

and it will be stunning

yep need to get into gear and do another! ill be using these threads for a guide :thumbs:

• Like 1

After looking at the pics of your latest work on this HW77 stock Jimmy, I've run out of my quota of likes so these will have to do.

:clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper:

This is bespoke gunstock refurbishment on a par with the finest English Gunstock finishers of the calibre of Purdy, Holland & Holland. And all...

:signthankspin: :signthankspin: :signthankspin::drinks: :drinks: :drinks:

• Like 1

After looking at the pics of your latest work on this HW77 stock Jimmy, I've run out of my quota of likes so these will have to do.

:clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper::drinks:

:signthankspin: :signthankspin: :signthankspin:

I told you she was stunning mate

and she shines like glass

she needs rubbing over with the rubbing compound first to smooth her out then buffed with the bees wax to a high shine

but she will be right bud as you know

tell Helen im asking after her and i send my love

atvbjimmy :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

You certainly crack on as well, I don't think the pictures bring out the time and effort required at the various stages, put simply, you make it look easy, when actually it is far from that to achieve good results!

This is a time consuming, intricate and delicate at times, and detailed to get a good result.

ATB! :thumbs:

• Like 1

Typical situation of a man who has mastered a craft skill. He makes it look a lot easier than it really is

I wouldn't know where to begin, what quantities of Nitro-Mors, how to apply it, how you completely remove the old finishes, what grit sandpapers to buy, how much Tru-Oil to prepare without being too rich, too lean etc.. Then bring it all together in the finishing and polishing. :shok::doh::no:

Marvellous skills on display here...

I know, this and a thread on skills craft and diy by gruffulo I always look out for, some serious work and talent on both these threads on stuff I can only sit back and admire.

Is getting towards the time for my girls ( 8 and 10 and really interested in shooting ) to get a rifle and am seriously thinking about picking up something cheap and tarting it up like this though it won't be anything as good it could be something we do together, of course running it past the Mrs is the hardest part as she wasn't brought up around anything shooting/country related.

• Like 1

I know, this and a thread on skills craft and diy by gruffulo I always look out for, some serious work and talent on both these threads on stuff I can only sit back and admire.

Is getting towards the time for my girls ( 8 and 10 and really interested in shooting ) to get a rifle and am seriously thinking about picking up something cheap and tarting it up like this though it won't be anything as good it could be something we do together, of course running it past the Mrs is the hardest part as she wasn't brought up around anything shooting/country related.

Im out of likes so a :thumbs: will have to do lads.

There is a big secrete in doing the stocks when smoothing out and as my best mate Sean(vizlauk) will say

WHEN YOU THINK ITS FINISHED

DO IT AGAIN

the smoothing out of the stock is the hardest part .

• Like 2

You certainly crack on as well, I don't think the pictures bring out the time and effort required at the various stages, put simply, you make it look easy, when actually it is far from that to achieve good results!

This is a time consuming, intricate and delicate at times, and detailed to get a good result.

Pretty much what I think when reading these threads,looks and sounds easy but it's far from it,when they are broken down into step by step though it gives a better understanding of what goes on but still doesn't show exactly how much time and effort go into it,the satisfaction at the end no doubt makes every second worth it,even the joy of doing the work

is clear...

Pretty much what I think when reading these threads,looks and sounds easy but it's far from it,when they are broken down into step by step though it gives a better understanding of what goes on but still doesn't show exactly how much time and effort go into it,the satisfaction at the end no doubt makes every second worth it,even the joy of doing the work

is clear...

It is time consuming im often up and at them before i go to work and back at them when im back from work

the hw77 stock is hardening off now for a week then it will be rubbed over with the rubbing compound with plenty of water

then a few days waxing it to a good shine

• Like 1

STEP 6 Well iv been up since 3,30 am and set about buffing the hw77 stock at 7,30am

first i lay,d a old towel on the table out side and lay,d the hw77 stock on it as to not mark the under side of the stock when buffing and it gives a good base to do this flat so i can apply the right pressure to the stock when buffing ,

get some water in an old bowl and some cloths (i found a use for the old socks that was going to be thrown out lol)

dip your cloth in the water then apply the paste to the cloth( not the stock) rud the paste in with your finger and re dip in the water and very lightly rub the stock but not to hard as it will take the oil off and back to the wood.

Do not panick as it will take the shine off the stock

All you want to achieve is a smooth stock finnish (if you run your fingers over the stock be for you buff you will feel the little ridges that are there due to you putting the oil on its these you need to remove nothing else )

STEP 7

Once you have done one side buff up with another clean cloth to remove the dry,d paste

then turn the stock over and repeat the prose's.

Once you have done the hole stock and you have buffed all the residue off her

then apply the bee,s wax using another two clean cloths one to apply the wax and one to buff it to a shine

but i will wax her for the next few days to get a glass like finish on her as that is what Simon wants

just got to sort the pro sport stock now lol

hope this has help,d some of you lads do your own

post-63400-0-01714100-1462952604.jpg

post-63400-0-55560200-1462952613.jpg

post-63400-0-83984100-1462952621.jpg

post-63400-0-34675600-1462952630.jpg

post-63400-0-72492200-1462952639.jpg

post-63400-0-36346200-1462952650.jpg

post-63400-0-91048700-1462952660.jpg

Last ones lads IM SORRY IF IV Bored the pants off you all lol

but i just wanted to show Simon how the stock was coming along