Now the young ones are running around in lofts the phone is going mad. Got 6 jobs on the go at the minute.

One job was a young woman on her own with her son. The squirrels were going mad and her son wouldn't sleep with the noise. Unfortunately all my body grips were set and all I had with me was a Fenn trap...so I fashioned a tunnel out of some wire netting and set the one trap with some sweet corn scattered through the tunnel....Anyway next day I got the adult squirrel so reset and this morning I had a young one....

Just as I was leaving I went to have a look at the nest made out of insulation in the corner of the loft and I could actually see a squirrel through a little hole in the side of it!......now I know I should of known better.....as I did it I knew I should just leave em be but I couldn't resist....I took my moleing probe which I keep with my squirrel trapping bag (I use it to move and poke insulation in lofts if I can't reach) and I pinned the two squirrels in the nest, squashinig them against the ceiling. I must now add that I was hanging on a roof truss and as I had forgot my torch I was holding my phone in my mouth (it has a bright torch on it). I then realised I was totally out of ideas as to my next move....the only thing I could lay a hand on was a hand brush...so I set about trying to get an angle of dangle to knock one on the head, obviously they had different ideas...both sprang out the nest and ran straight up my arm...phone, probe and brush went up in the air and I fell across the roof trusses.

I managed to regain my composure and tidy up....I wonder how long it's going to catch those two now!!

• Like 8

Had a job this week with 2 squirrels in a roof, only place for traps was on the fence due to roof conversion. 3 traps set.... Next day 3 squirrels caught no more sightings or noise reported. Job done......I looked at the roof and sure enough 5 youngsters playing about!! Gun out and 4 shot in quick order with 1 that wouldn't play the game. Good ole fenn sorted him next day.

All this with a customer who really didn't want them killed and was in tears the whole time!! Luckily it went well!

• Like 1

Pmsl, mr bean goes pest controlling lol, that made me laugh, I was expecting to read you had put a foot the through the ceiling, full marks for not doing so pal, good read, thanks for sharing.

very lucky and presumably not within 50 yrds of a highway

And I presume you would credit the man with not being a f***ing idiot :no:

Dido I was laughing reading your post :thumbs: you never have enough arms :laugh:

Its fifty feet from the centre of a highway. Not yards.

Does that law still count if you are on private property and your ammo does not leave the property? Genuine question.

TC

It is an old law that can suffer from interpretation:

" It is an offence under the Highways Act 1980 s 161(2) to light any fire on or over a carriageway, or discharge any firearm or firework within 50 feet of the centre of a highway which is a carriageway, with the consequence that a user of the carriageway is injured, interrupted or endangered."
So the law covers private as well as public property. The last bit is the problem. You could be happily shooting away within fifty feet of the centreline of a road or lane, not causing a problem. But if some busybody complains you are stuffed as you have committed an offence whether you knew about it or not.
  • Like 1

Its fifty feet from the centre of a highway. Not yards.

Does that law still count if you are on private property and your ammo does not leave the property? Genuine question.

TC

There is no actual law saying you cannot do it, it something like you can't do it if it's gonna hurt or endanger someone, it's a grey area, you could be sat against a hedge with a road behind shooting away from the road, but if some anti says its distracted them whilst driving, you have committed an offence, similarly you could be shooting along the hedge line and if no one complains then you are actually within the law provided the pellet does not leave the boundary of your permission !

Some of the laws in the uk governing firearms leave a lot to be desired, lots of grey areas left for interpretation.

And I presume you would credit the man with not being a f***ing idiot :no:

Dido I was laughing reading your post :thumbs: you never have enough arms :laugh:

I meant lucky he was able to get the youngsters so quick.

I have no idea were the property is located - but I do know there's plenty of idiots out there that having read the post would think it a good idea to shoot at squirrels from their front garden in the housing estate - so no the comment about the law wasn't necessarily for his benefit - but for the benefit of the dummies that do things without thinking.

And thanks for the correction to 50 feet of centre of highway Nicepix

Edited by swarmcatcher

Lol at dido,,,,very funny,,I could picture it...

I've used a Jill ferret in a loft befor with great success ,,,collar on and a good length of cord,,,worked a treat

• Like 1