retrieving terriers

Guest tagwag

Guest tagwag

hello

to what level is it possible to train a terrier to retrievegame for rough shooting etc

any tips gratefully received

i have a 15 week border to train and have not had much success with my previous borders...

thanks

Guest potter
hello

to what level is it possible to train a terrier to retrievegame for rough shooting etc

any tips gratefully received

i have a 15 week border to train and have not had much success with my previous borders...

thanks

THE ONLY TIP U NEED IS BUY A LABRADOR. :D

all my plummers and plummer crosses have retrieved without any training,can be a bit rank when the pups are trying to give you their dead rats but they soon learn i dont need them fetching :11: ...........when out together the terriers bring the rabbits back, the lurcher gets posessive and runs around with it.they do things the wrong way round :icon_redface:

Guest tagwag
Hello Tagwag,

Start the retrieve exercise indoors (ideally when the terrier is hungry) don't be shy to use bit's of the dogs food for inducment. Get the dog motivated to the thing you want it to retrieve (it would be an idea to inform your family that all other objects are to be hidden away/ it ain't got options) dont go to the dog if it fails to retreive fully (licking lips and showing food should suffice). In my experience the one little section of teaching a terrier to retreive that is often "cocked-up" (so to speak) happens the moment the dog first retreives something fully, it is important to instantly throw the item again for the dog with a minimum of delay(less than a second)you want the dog excited...getting your dog to sit/stay/paw at this stage negates the work you have already covered. Transposing the exercise in the field is not without hic-ups because terriers are very context-specific and will choose not to relate the indoor retreive with an outdoor retreive (the taking the piss stage) though the time needed to cement the exercise outdoors is usually a lot shorter than the initial training. A terrier will also forget everything when a venue is changed, this is another area were an owner can blow his/her hard work, the dogs might well be perfect in the house/perfect in the yard/ perfect on the familiar turf but change turf and the dog will demand to be brokn to the trick once again ("kinky"). When you are teaching your dog to retrieve (outdoors) then a washing line attached to the dogs collar may well help and a stubborn terrier can be given a little reminder of the plot , most of all praise at the correct moment will help tremendously. I have an oppo with a border/russell that retrieves golf balls out of the local cut, sometimes staying under till the ripples have disappeared. Both mine retrieve.

Oneredtrim

thanks for that really helpful

cheers tagwag

Guest tagwag

sorry for being thick but not sure what you mean

"Also when your dog retrieves but falls short...this is the moment for the inducement (a straight swop) if your dog is stubborn you can pour on the exercise beforehand knowing the training will be happening shortly afterwards "

cheers really good stuff