An article in CMW saying that when farmers could leave dead lambs on the farm, they had no problem with ravens attacking live lambs ... once again, the laws have not played in the favour of those natural scavengers ... or small livestock farmers.

Interestingly: I was watching three families of greylags making their way from the river to a lake, over grass. They were accompanied by several crows, on foot, who were obviously waiting for an opportunity to grab one of the very small goslings. Seen crows attacking tiny rabbits too, literally diving on them from the air and hammering into the back of their necks.

An article in CMW saying that when farmers could leave dead lambs on the farm, they had no problem with ravens attacking live lambs ... once again, the laws have not played in the favour of those natural scavengers ... or small livestock farmers.

Interestingly: I was watching three families of greylags making their way from the river to a lake, over grass. They were accompanied by several crows, on foot, who were obviously waiting for an opportunity to grab one of the very small goslings. Seen crows attacking tiny rabbits too, literally diving on them from the air and hammering into the back of their necks.

Many years ago, over a cup of tea at a farmers table,he was extolling the virtues of his prize ewe that had just become the mother of 4 lambs,whilst explaining to me and a mucker that he may need to foster 2 of them under other single lamb ewes a carrion crow attacked the youngest lamb and soon had its eyes,the farmer raced up the field and put the lamb out of its misery and herded the ewe closer to the farm,then one of his sows mullered another lamb in front of him,me and said mucker were in hysterics,youthful ignorance perhaps,you needed to be there.Many years later i catered for the needs of a Raven whilst in transit to the Welsh mountain Zoo,i used to toss rabbits into its aviary and it eat them within 2 days,apart from a few bones.If a carrion crow can muller a lamb a Raven would become a serious threat to a lambing field.

• 2 weeks later...