Non Terrier Busher Needed

Hannibal

Looking for some advice really

Looking to get a bushing dog to my team. I have a terrier that bushes well but drops in any hole he can find at any opportunity so am looking for a busher that's won't. Would like a dog that is eager to please,stays pretty close by and push out anything that's there and works well with the lurchers. Was thinking a spaniel any suggestions guys?

Thanks

Suppose spaniel is best bet really although plenty of lads have said they've had spaniels and their crosses drop to ground on occasion.

I fancy a splash of whippet blood in my next busher to try and keep the size up and prevent them wanting to drop in. I've seen a real handy 3/4 whippet 1/4 beddy go through cover very well.

Also heard good things about a terrier X collie who bushes for fun and is too big to drop in.

Obviously you've then got the problem that if they're too big to drop in they might be too big for some tight cover.

I think a bit of luck will be involved in dropping on the right one.

• Like 1

if you make it clear from a pup that holes are a no with a spaniel x terrier they listen

they work close enough for you to enjoy seeing the game bolt good x for bushing dogs in my view

but there are many crosses that hunt cover but its what suits you :thumbs:

• Like 1

amazed at how many on this site keep terrier's but knock them for going to ground , its like knocking a water dog for coming home wet ! terriers that work rabbit shouldn't go to ground it serves no purpose and terriers for fox should at every opportunity.

SIZE isn't always the cure , cockers , beagles , basset, small lurchers , collie's, anything up to the size of foxhounds can, and do , trench into an earth and need digging out, a mates brindle 21-22 " lurcher went to ground and bolted one just last year.... so it isn't so much size has inclination , i have a 12 " beagle type who won't pass the entrance of any earth , shes just not interested.

it is time for a warren hound to be bred in this country ? in Spain for example if you want a earth dog you get a jagd terrier , fox terrier or teckel but if you want a rabbit dog you get a small podenco and if you want an out an out ratter you get a rategonero bodeguero ... the last two look like terriers and hunt same way but with the podencos for example after generations of breeding rabbit dog to rabbit dog you get rabbit dogs

anyway .. if its that important to you buy in a grown dog ( shock horror ) and then you know from the start if it goes to ground or not , you can get plenty of terriers that can be called out of a earth and many that ' run out by themselves.. but i would just buy in a grown dog , simple has

kev ..medlock crew ,manchester

• Like 1

amazed at how many on this site keep terrier's but knock them for going to ground , its like knocking a water dog for coming home wet ! terriers that work rabbit shouldn't go to ground it serves no purpose and terriers for fox should at every opportunity.

SIZE isn't always the cure , cockers , beagles , basset, small lurchers , collie's, anything up to the size of foxhounds can, and do , trench into an earth and need digging out, a mates brindle 21-22 " lurcher went to ground and bolted one just last year.... so it isn't so much size has inclination , i have a 12 " beagle type who won't pass the entrance of any earth , shes just not interested.

it is time for a warren hound to be bred in this country ? in Spain for example if you want a earth dog you get a jagd terrier , fox terrier or teckel but if you want a rabbit dog you get a small podenco and if you want an out an out ratter you get a rategonero bodeguero ... the last two look like terriers and hunt same way but with the podencos for example after generations of breeding rabbit dog to rabbit dog you get rabbit dogs

anyway .. if its that important to you buy in a grown dog ( shock horror ) and then you know from the start if it goes to ground or not , you can get plenty of terriers that can be called out of a earth and many that ' run out by themselves.. but i would just buy in a grown dog , simple has

kev ..medlock crew ,manchester

Seen those podencos on utube, great rabbit dogs esp the pequino which is the smallest. All the one's i have seen fetch the rabbit back to hand as well.

Get a springer from some good stock will cost you but its worth it

Do you work springers mate? I've seen a few spaniels work but never a real good one that I would want bushing to the lurchers.

I'm in no way saying they aren't out there, I'm sure they are and would love to see one go.

Do you work springers mate? I've seen a few spaniels work but never a real good one that I would want bushing to the lurchers.

I'm in no way saying they aren't out there, I'm sure they are and would love to see one go.

when the season start i will take you out and show you good springers at work on rabbits
  • Like 1

when the season start i will take you out and show you good springers at work on rabbits

I would like that. As said I aren't knocking them at all. I'm sure there are good ones out there.

I would like that. As said I aren't knocking them at all. I'm sure there are good ones out there.

no problem mate we will have a good day out october time got plenty of permition to go at
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...