Whippet X Collie ???

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Bred this hybrid several years ago,....it seems to be (on the surface) the absolute ideal type for the ferreting enthusiast...   However,..the straight cross, twixt a pure whippet and a Border Coll

My new pup 5 months old Going well   ..

I believe that if a person was to obtain or breed a pup from a cross between a border collie and a whippet , and has access to land that holds rabbits, and has basic dog sense and likes dogs, and a fe

Posted Images

One of my earliest memories of a lurcher was a Whippet/Collie,as a youth it gave me many hours of joy away in the fields,i can still re-collect the shivery nights sleeping in the cover of a wood, as a 5 year old,with the mutt for comfort and a little warmth,at first light being awoken from my shivery slumber by my dad and checking the snares set the dusk before.The dog never caught much and was a liability when yapping away on an hare.Years later an hunting companion owned the best hunting and marking dog ive ever seen in the field,another Whippet/Collie,its nose was second to none,its catch rate fared with far less distinction,yet it was always better utilised as a marking dog and a dog that could find and flush any bunny to ground,then the nets and ferret came out.Remarkable little moochers and honest to their true abilities,fecking useless when sourced with higher ambition.

• Like 2

Nice,..interesting, erudite post there Morton :yes:

That was summer hunting as well,seasons played little part in feeding a family in the early 60,s.Our hunting forays often started with egg collecting from Mallard,lapwing,pheasant,partridge and the odd farm yard goose,now thats another story.

• Like 2

Hi guys, just wondering if any body here owns/works of has any experience of this cross for bunny's. Iv always had collie xgreys , just thinking if this is a popular cross. Cheers HH

Bred this hybrid several years ago,....it seems to be (on the surface) the absolute ideal type for the ferreting enthusiast...

However,..the straight cross, twixt a pure whippet and a Border Collie, did not produce the end product, that I desired... :cray: I have found that the Greyhound (as opposed to a pure whippet) is a far better inclusion in this equation,...and that is why lads often choose to use a 'Hard Blood' whippet as one half of the hybridisation...

As a starting point, the pure whippet, does not seem to have the bone structure or size, to balance out, the basic physique of the herding breed..

You have to be wary of creating, a dog which is highly trainable, but cannot cut the mustard...

Facts are, a fair few Whippet/Collies that one sees,.are definitely not genuine 1st crosses....admittedly they are no worse for that fact,.but ,..they are not first crosses... :yes:

Personaly,.I prefer to breed,...(and keep on breeding) this style of rabbiter from similar crossbred types,..and often sooner, rather than later,...I end up with the Hedgerow Mouchers that suit my way of rabbit hunting....obviously such a project takes time,...but,..it's worth it for me.. :thumbs:

DSC_7153.jpg

That was very informative Mr lloyd, as previously stated iv always run collie/greys and was very happy with them. However it's starting to become increasingly difficult to find genuine crosses out there without a mix of God knows what chucked in for good measure.

So I was just thinking, I got a good pure whippet dog hee who has proved his worth & my dad owns a good border collie bitch. But iv not heard much of this cross to justify a mating.

• Like 2

image_zpskglgtvs7.jpg

This little fella is mainly whippet with a touch of grey and collie, very early days but he looks like he could be decent enough for my general mooching and he is a tryer that's for sure. I personally think the touch of both collie and grey make good additions, he is certainly good for me anyway atb

• Like 2

image_zpskglgtvs7.jpg

This little fella is mainly whippet with a touch of grey and collie, very early days but he looks like he could be decent enough for my general mooching and he is a tryer that's for sure. I personally think the touch of both collie and grey make good additions, he is certainly good for me anyway atb

should be handy dog mate looks like electric and strong enough to hold on to bits n bobs. Good luck

many years ago I owned a cracking border collie dog [from cattle farm ] heart like a lion -I put it over a lads handy little whippet bitch and hand on heart 5 pups turned out cracking mooching -ferreting/ratting dogs -4 were small light built and pocket rockets -1 was a bit taller and built like a tank and it done teeth single handed - this was a case of no litter wastage but in all fairness the lads that owned them knew how to work a dog -they weren't my cuppa tea as I liked collie /grey being bigger for bigger stuff I don't own lurchers now [spaniels] but once these gone im fancying a 3/4 collie 1/4 grey as a mooching companion type dog that can accompany me at work etc and guard house

• Like 1

image_zpskglgtvs7.jpg

What sort of size is he Matt?

Seen a few go and all yapped good mooching dogs tho ?

Unfortunately mate, that's 1 of the main draw back of the whippet which most people cannot stand, still a good game little dog though in the right environment.