Whippet X Collie ???

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Bred this hybrid several years ago,....it seems to be (on the surface) the absolute ideal type for the ferreting enthusiast...   However,..the straight cross, twixt a pure whippet and a Border Coll

My new pup 5 months old Going well   ..

I believe that if a person was to obtain or breed a pup from a cross between a border collie and a whippet , and has access to land that holds rabbits, and has basic dog sense and likes dogs, and a fe

Posted Images

There was a fella called Jase with a first cross collie whippet. Sure it was name bronson but I could be wrong.

Haven't seen him post for a while. Was meant to be a handy dog. Reckon they would be bang on for ferreting and mooching.

• Like 1

Hi guys, just wondering if any body here owns/works of has any experience of this cross for bunny's. Iv always had collie xgreys , just thinking if this is a popular cross. Cheers HH

Whippets are believed to be descendants from Greyhounds who were too small for stag and deer hunting in England. These dogs were returned to their breeders, who continued to breed them and thus produced a smaller dog useful for rat catching and hunting hares and rabbits. Commonly known to ‘snap up’ prey, they assumed the nickname ‘snap dogs’. They have a unique way of running known as double suspension gallop; resulting in all legs being off the ground twice in each stride. This allows the breed to reach speeds of around 40 mph. Although not the fastest dog in the world, they are certainly the quickest at accelerating. Extremely intelligent, they are generally very gentle in temperament and are not prone to barking. Being race dogs they require regular exercise, although many are content to spend most of their time resting and lounging with their owner. They turn on a dime too, the collie gives more brains (not that they need it, they are quite smart) and better feet (less fragile) at the expence of acceleration. For rabbits, spotlighting, and ferreting top class JMO. Hope this helped.

When you drop on a good one they are just the ticket for the ferreting and ratching job. Finding a good one is another matter. For lamping on rough ground the lack of height is a handicap at times, And I'd pick a grew over a pure whippet for that reason.

• Like 1

Had 1 about 30 odd year ago,little bitch with what we call a chainy eye[blue eye] from the collie,a brilliant little lamper and good little ferreting bitch,could turn on a sixpence and a great burst of speed after bolters.She would also tackle fox but could not hold them but a good bitch to hunt them up in cover.When ever my current lurcher which is 11-12 years old passes on its something like that i will go for just for a bit of mouching and lamping.

• Like 1

When you drop on a good one they are just the ticket for the ferreting and ratching job. Finding a good one is another matter. For lamping on rough ground the lack of height is a handicap at times, And I'd pick a grew over a pure whippet for that reason.

I use 3/4 whippet 1/4 stag they handle any ground

xs5ySnv.jpg

• Like 1

Hi guys, just wondering if any body here owns/works of has any experience of this cross for bunny's. Iv always had collie xgreys , just thinking if this is a popular cross. Cheers HH

Bred this hybrid several years ago,....it seems to be (on the surface) the absolute ideal type for the ferreting enthusiast...

However,..the straight cross, twixt a pure whippet and a Border Collie, did not produce the end product, that I desired... :cray:I have found that the Greyhound (as opposed to a pure whippet) is a far better inclusion in this equation,...and that is why lads often choose to use a 'Hard Blood' whippet as one half of the hybridisation...

As a starting point, the pure whippet, does not seem to have the bone structure or size, to balance out, the basic physique of the herding breed..

You have to be wary of creating, a dog which is highly trainable, but cannot cut the mustard...

Facts are, a fair few Whippet/Collies that one sees,.are definitely not genuine 1st crosses....admittedly they are no worse for that fact,.but ,..they are not first crosses... :yes:

Personaly,.I prefer to breed,...(and keep on breeding) this style of rabbiter from similar crossbred types,..and often sooner, rather than later,...I end up with the Hedgerow Mouchers that suit my way of rabbit hunting....obviously such a project takes time,...but,..it's worth it for me.. :thumbs:

Edited by Phil Lloyd
  • Like 8