Ever Had One Of Those Nights When It Just Wasn't Going To Happen?

I popped up to the rugby club last night with my shooting buddy. We stayed for about 4hrs. The weather was good - clear, dark, a slight wind.

He brought his S510 Superlite .177, using JSB Heavies. I took my HW100kt with the Polymags that I've been testing.

I really wanted last night to give me an opportunity to update the Polymags thread but, it wasn't to be.....

We checked most of the usual spots - no rabbits.

I found 3 rabbits in a tree line, at the top of a bank. They were relaxed and happily eating. I took the time to keep watching them on the nv while slowly creeping closer.

Then, along comes a badger - Never seen them there before but, here he was. Ambling along, scraping and sniffing, right up to my rabbits. All 3 got spooked and legged it, straight back through the trees and onto the land that I don't have permission on.

We carried on round and, my mate spotted a young 'un out in the open. It was right out in the middle of 6 rugby pitches - this never happens up there. We must have accidentally walked within 50yrds of it.

He got himself 10-15yrds closer.

It just sat there patiently while he steadied his S510 and gave it a nice clean shot.

Around an hour later, I came to an area at the far end where the club have been having a lot of work done. There's a 3ft high post and rail fence, faced with chicken wire. No more than 5yrds beyond is a 5ft high bank with a deep tree line at the top. I had a scan round and, sitting perfectly side on, in a gap in the undergrowth, was a rabbit.

I took my time, got to within 25yrds, noted that he was 4 posts along from the corner (so that I could find him easily). I put the HW100 on my shooting stick. My aim was rock steady.

He took the Polymag perfectly, just behind the eye, with an almighty whack. He rolled over on the spot and waved his back leg in the air.

The effect was no different to when I use JSB Heavies but, it certainly wasn't any worse.

I watched it for a moment and, just as it's back leg started to relax....... a fox burst out of the bushes, grabbed MY rabbit and ran off along the bottom of the bank. The cheeky sod even stopped a little way along and looked right at me with the rabbit in it's gob.

.... My mate found it very amusing.

I guess it was just one of those nights. It was nice to be out anyway but, the next Polymag analysis will have to wait a bit longer :)

post-102688-0-70592600-1461746941_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jonjon79
  • Like 3

At least you were out and not stuck in front of the box like most of us lol

we had rain,snow, hail stones, high winds yesterday and last night so that stopped the hunting for us up north

and iv had plenty of nights like that iv left the house just to get to the perm and iv left the pellets at home lol

iv saw plenty of vermin about but ether could not get close or they spotted me and fecked off

Iv been in a field with nice blue sky,s and turn,d round and it was a white out could not see for snow white every where had to fight my way back to the tank what was green grass was white with snow

i could go on and on

i think all of us has had nights like that lol

atvbmac :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

• Like 2

some nights are like that then I get moaned at for saying we did twenty miles for those rabbits that's x amount per rabbit I would be cheaper buying the bloody things in LOL . now I just say its a good night and im bonding with my son who couldn't hit a barn bloody door :laugh:

• Like 2

My last four or more outings have been a complete waste of time really, yes I do get out! Not even posted on here,walk around in bad weather and blank,there you go,all of 'em! I blame the weather but me being lazy hasn't helped,having one pinched off you is probably worse than blanking somehow? As said before the usual suspects took it off track,least you got our and bagged one between you :thumbs:

I went out last night with the lamp....8 rabbits.....all had varying degrees of myxomatosis and this is on a new perm that's riddled with coneys and I'm sure the majority of what's left has it too, very sad to see so your not on your own with a quiet session pal. Better than being stuck in though like mac said.

With the mrs... yeah, most nights.

You can get them blue tablets for that now REZ :laugh::tongue2:

:thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

With the mrs... yeah, most nights.

Spend more time on your fieldcraft mate ;):D

Normally pretty good in the bush, its just the open spaces I find my self stuck out.

Sounds like he is taking them :whistling::whistling::whistling:

• Like 1