Phil Craven Lancaster?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

it wasnt the maddest of his ideas, he even put a letter/advert in the earth dog running dog offering his services of curing  sheep aggressive dogs. in short, you would take your sheep worrier to him,

Phil Lancaster passed away with cancer approximately 10 years ago. We lived on the same street in Haywards heath as him (Vale road) to say he was strange is about off to be fair. He was a gem of a man

Always makes me laugh when people say they were set up.If you dont say or do illegal or just plain f**king stupid stuff in front of complete strangers just to stroke your own ego you cant be set up.Al

Posted Images

I knew Phil, haven't heard off or of him since the mid/late 90's. Don't know if he's still alive. Might be worth finding that out first and checking he's o.k. with you doing a write up on him...

Yokel

• Like 1

I knew Phil, haven't heard off or of him since the mid/late 90's. Don't know if he's still alive. Might be worth finding that out first and checking he's o.k. with you doing a write up on him...

Yokel

I heard from others he had passed. Any idea on how to contact those who knew him?
  • 4 years later...

Phil Lancaster passed away with cancer approximately 10 years ago. We lived on the same street in Haywards heath as him (Vale road) to say he was strange is about off to be fair. He was a gem of a man. Him and my dad were great friends. I used to walk his dog (Tinder of Glebe) we'd strap two hot water bottles full of sand over his back. A very powerful dog but still friendly. He was british muzzled match champion. He was trying to get it to be an accepted sport for obvious reasons. The dogs would be held and then released to charge at each other and more or less wrestle. It was fascinating. I was only young at the time but hooked on it. He was also an amazing artist and sculptor. His clay models of dogs head and full dogs were incredible. His best was one of bear baiting, a bullterrier hanging from the bears throat with the bears paws clasped around the dog and sylvia streaming from its mouth. I used to help him paint the detail on them. He was also a bare knuckle boxer, followed after his old boy Ken (Iron man) Lancaster. He was a right hardy old bugger who taught me and my brother how to box in the back garden, surrounded by bullterriers. In short, my memories of Phil were all good. Him and my dad had huge respect for each other. Phil also dedicated two issues of his (Gladiator) magazine to our family. One with my dad's american staffordshire from the early 1960's and one for my great uncle Romeo who's head stone was a pure white English bullterrier carved from italian marble and sent overseas to Glasgow.

• Like 15
17 hours ago, Franco1980 said:

Phil Lancaster passed away with cancer approximately 10 years ago. We lived on the same street in Haywards heath as him (Vale road) to say he was strange is about off to be fair. He was a gem of a man. Him and my dad were great friends. I used to walk his dog (Tinder of Glebe) we'd strap two hot water bottles full of sand over his back. A very powerful dog but still friendly. He was british muzzled match champion. He was trying to get it to be an accepted sport for obvious reasons. The dogs would be held and then released to charge at each other and more or less wrestle. It was fascinating. I was only young at the time but hooked on it. He was also an amazing artist and sculptor. His clay models of dogs head and full dogs were incredible. His best was one of bear baiting, a bullterrier hanging from the bears throat with the bears paws clasped around the dog and sylvia streaming from its mouth. I used to help him paint the detail on them. He was also a bare knuckle boxer, followed after his old boy Ken (Iron man) Lancaster. He was a right hardy old bugger who taught me and my brother how to box in the back garden, surrounded by bullterriers. In short, my memories of Phil were all good. Him and my dad had huge respect for each other. Phil also dedicated two issues of his (Gladiator) magazine to our family. One with my dad's american staffordshire from the early 1960's and one for my great uncle Romeo who's head stone was a pure white English bullterrier carved from italian marble and sent overseas to Glasgow.

Didn’t know the chap ... but we’ll said mate ?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
19 hours ago, Franco1980 said:

Fair play pal?

Sounds like an interesting old boy.?

• Thanks 1
On 30/03/2021 at 01:35, Franco1980 said:

Nice when folk put other folk right on here as most listers to here say and slag lads off without knowing the true stories.Well said mate ?

• Like 5
On 30/03/2021 at 01:35, Franco1980 said:

Bit off calling him strange?claiming to have the british muzzled match champion is pretty strange behaviour in my book.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
On 31/03/2021 at 13:27, downsouth said:

Bit off calling him strange?claiming to have the british muzzled match champion is pretty strange behaviour in my book.

Centre spread in the News of the World for getting caught " matching " 14 week old puppies probably qualifies the chap a little bit strange as well !.....and booking him as a bare knuckle boxer of some sort i find pretty amusing the geezer was 7 stone ringing wet !.......certainly wouldnt speak bad of the chap if he,s passed away but id say describing him as " strange " is probably pretty mild.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3