Do You Support Junior Doctors Strike

Student loan repayments ......You only start repaying your loan once you've graduated and you're earning more than £21,000 a year. After that, you'll pay back 9% of anything you earn over £21,000. So if you're earning £26,000 a year, you'll lose £450 in loan repayments - £37.50 each month.

Exactly mate. Unless I'm wrong then with the potential for rapid career progression they will soon have paid it off and have benefitted from it with a very high expected salary ceiling. The starting salary is really of much less significance when you consider the bigger picture. It may well be insufficient but no one has shown me anything to suggest it is yet other than a fundamental belief of 'it is'.

• Like 1

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thats a generalisation about nurses max,my womans a nurse and she went into the profession because she totally wants to care for people,she is very compassionate,and as for sniff,she thinks thats an i

The NHS is not underfunded.....quiet the opposite in fact, it's a massive black hole that has swallowed truly gargantuan amounts of cash. Private is much, much cheaper and that's a fact.   The whol

I wonder how many lives are put at risk when a junior doctor is on their 80th hour in that week? Don't believe the government there is emergency cover as all consultants are doing the cover. Just more

With respect, junior doctors aren't the only ones that have student loans. Childish behaviour is laughing at someone's comments in derision, personally I find that behaviour amusing but it's still unnecessary and is the cause of ninety percent of the pathetic tit for tat arguments on here. By all means carry on behaving that way...

You must have led a sheltered life my friend if laughing at someone's comments in derision is childish.

And this place definitely isn't for you. Lol

Thanks for clearing up your voice of authority, you've got a student loan.

Laughing in derision is childish, and achieves nothing. I can handle it, I find it amusing as it's really a response to a complete lack of argument. But nonetheless it's childish. Surely there's a degree of mutual respect expected in a debate?

Student loan repayments ......You only start repaying your loan once you've graduated and you're earning more than £21,000 a year. After that, you'll pay back 9% of anything you earn over £21,000. So if you're earning £26,000 a year, you'll lose £450 in loan repayments - £37.50 each month.

I wasn't referring to the monthly repayments so much as the idea of it. X amount of years studying, massive debt hanging over you, long hours at work plus extra studying on top etc, all to earn a piss poor wage.
I agree as I've said I think to much is asked of junior doctors hour wise and in a perfect world it would be nice if ALL students had a free education but the fact is they don't ...why should junior doctors have special concession over a studying anthropologist or marine biologist for example .. bottom line is life isn't easy on the first run of the ladder for anyone why should junior doctors have it all handed to them on a plate when others don't. ?
  • Like 2

For me it has nothing to do with it being a noble or respectable profession.....i just see the job of a Doctor being worth more than the starting salary

I take into account the years of studies they must do before they even start

I know I wouldn't put in the hours and have peoples lives in my hands for that type of money

But again, so what? You think it's not worth it. Look at the situation more generally, clearly plenty of med students do think its worth it, otherwise they'd have used their academic abilities to pursue another career. If we face a shortfall of med students and it's clear to conclude that is as a result of too low a starting salary then I agree it should be raised. But as things stand is that true? Other than folks believing that they deserve more with little reason other than 'they do'.

We do have a shortage of British Doctors

The space's normally get filled by the likes of Indians

• Like 2

For me it has nothing to do with it being a noble or respectable profession.....i just see the job of a Doctor being worth more than the starting salary

I take into account the years of studies they must do before they even start

I know I wouldn't put in the hours and have peoples lives in my hands for that type of money

But again, so what? You think it's not worth it. Look at the situation more generally, clearly plenty of med students do think its worth it, otherwise they'd have used their academic abilities to pursue another career. If we face a shortfall of med students and it's clear to conclude that is as a result of too low a starting salary then I agree it should be raised. But as things stand is that true? Other than folks believing that they deserve more with little reason other than 'they do'.

We do have a shortage of British Doctors
Okay, now you've touched on a more complex point. Assuming you're right the only way to combat that is by increasing the benefits/salary of the job right and yet it is what it is.... so either you're wrong or in the near future we are going to have a doctor shortage? Or the government will simply increase the size of the labor market by focusing on foreign trained doctors rather than home grown.

All of this is why I don't like nationalised industry or unregulated immigration.

That's all fair enough but a lot of folks seem to think that they deserve more just because bin men are earning more. That is my point.

Edited by Born Hunter

With respect, junior doctors aren't the only ones that have student loans. Childish behaviour is laughing at someone's comments in derision, personally I find that behaviour amusing but it's still unnecessary and is the cause of ninety percent of the pathetic tit for tat arguments on here. By all means carry on behaving that way...

You must have led a sheltered life my friend if laughing at someone's comments in derision is childish.

Laughing in derision is childish, and achieves nothing. I can handle it, I find it amusing as it's really a response to a complete lack of argument. But nonetheless it's childish. Surely there's a degree of mutual respect expected in a debate?

I didn't want an argument or debate. I posted my opinion and you commented saying "people don't know the crack" insinuating that you do. And then continued to call yourself a "voice of authority".

You must have known someone would ask you what your experience is on the subject and not just "trust you"?

• Like 1

I didn't want an argument or debate. I posted my opinion and you commented saying "people don't know the crack" insinuating that you do. And then continued to call yourself a "voice of authority".

You must have known someone would ask you what your experience is on the subject and not just "trust you"?

A forum isn't a notice board for opinions, by definition is a place of debate. If you didn't want to debate your point then simply not replying to anyone would have sufficed.

I'm not being a twat or condescending when I say a position of authority, it's just a statement that means you have direct experience of the subject. It's common language in my work and sometimes I forget that to others such phrases might be condescending. Like I said, we've had a misunderstanding, my fault.

A forum isn't a notice board for opinions, by definition is a place of debate. If you didn't want to debate your point then simply not replying to anyone would have sufficed.

I'm not being a twat or condescending when I say a position of authority, it's just a statement that means you have direct experience of the subject. It's common language in my work and sometimes I forget that to others such phrases might be condescending. Like I said, we've had a misunderstanding, my fault.

Okay you're a condescending twat and I'm clueless and childish. No harm done. Lol. Take it easy.

Wonder were we would be if our doctors did what some of you said and " fcuked off" maybe America Australia Canada or to the gulf states were they can double their money and work reasonable hours?

These doctors are not holding anybody to ransom, they are trained professionals and want treating and rewarding as such, 80 hours a week can a arctic driver drive for 80 hours without regular breaks? no and why, because it's deemed as dangerous, yet they expect a doctor to work long hours and make life changing decisions………………BOLLOCKS…….and when they get it wrong who is to blame, the poor fcuker who has been run off their feet for 80hours

• Like 2

Wonder were we would be if our doctors did what some of you said and " fcuked off" maybe America Australia Canada or to the gulf states were they can double their money and work reasonable hours?

These doctors are not holding anybody to ransom, they are trained professionals and want treating and rewarding as such, 80 hours a week can a arctic driver drive for 80 hours without regular breaks? no and why, because it's deemed as dangerous, yet they expect a doctor to work long hours and make life changing decisions………………BOLLOCKS…….and when they get it wrong who is to blame, the poor fcuker who has been run off their feet for 80hours

being in the armed forces is much worse. conditions are terrible,away from family for 6 months,working more hours a week and in much much more hostile circumstances all for £300 a week.doctors and nurses have it easy compared to them.don't hear them moaning about it.it's a vocation not a job.get on with it.

• Like 2

These doctors are not holding anybody to ransom, they are trained professionals and want treating and rewarding as such, 80 hours a week can a arctic driver drive for 80 hours without regular breaks? no and why, because it's deemed as dangerous, yet they expect a doctor to work long hours and make life changing decisionsBOLLOCKS.and when they get it wrong who is to blame, the poor fcuker who has been run off their feet for 80hours

They already are leaving in their droves pal :no: Australia seems to be the main destination for a lot of them. Going to be a serious shortage of British doctors in the coming years.

Bgd

Yes and who can blame for them , become a doctor over hear and work 70 hrs a week , or go,abroad and do far less hours for twice as much money , common sence must prevail, and the government must understand that , or we will loose them

Atb

• Like 1

Dr apprenticeships :hmm: gov pay for training for a new crop every year they legally have to give 5 years service or face paying the full cost of their education including on the job training after that.

As for the numbers.... sack the shit out of middle and upper management put senior drs and nurses back in charge and leave it to them.

Make all foreigners either pay for treatment there and then or provide insurance for it either way get shut of the health tourists.

Stop using foreign nurse and dr agency staff. Stop using any agency staff full stop!

And the stop privatising.

The whole of Yorkshire is about to be privatised under the kiel banner... yep that's right the whole of fuucking Yorkshire nhs is already privately run with government money.

• Like 4

I was in hospital yesterday for a scan there was 7 of us Waiting 5 were non nationals... Maybe if we fukt a good few back home there wouldn't be so much stress on the system.

Same experience here...i was in A&E and it was full of eastern Europeans and French speaking Blacks

I too was in hospital yesterday for a scan. The doctor requested it on 25th february. So we are to believe the NHS is underfunded and understaffed. I expected to find full waiting rooms and flustered staff trying really hard to help get through the work load,it was a 9 week wait afterall. I arrived 30 minutes early and got sent straight in. I seemed to be the only patient in the building.

My invitation was sent 1st class post on the tuesday after easter,no expence spared.

I was in hospital yesterday for a scan there was 7 of us Waiting 5 were non nationals... Maybe if we fukt a good few back home there wouldn't be so much stress on the system.

Same experience here...i was in A&E and it was full of eastern Europeans and French speaking Blacks

I too was in hospital yesterday for a scan. The doctor requested it on 25th february. So we are to believe the NHS is underfunded and understaffed. I expected to find full waiting rooms and flustered staff trying really hard to help get through the work load,it was a 9 week wait afterall. I arrived 30 minutes early and got sent straight in. I seemed to be the only patient in the building.

My invitation was sent 1st class post on the tuesday after easter,no expence spared.

Seems you were lucky then ....I couldn't even get parked at Nottingham city hospital it was absolutely jam packed full ...lucky I was in the 4x4 so parked it up on a embankment ...got some funny looks :laugh: