Lurchers For Foxes

At what age do u enter the dogs to foxes?

I'm not into foxes myself, but see a few people mention 15months, is that not young?

Maybe the reason so many failed dogs about on foxes is because the early entering.

Most sighthounds ain't mature until 2+, mentally.

So giving a 15 month old dog a face full of the sharp end would prob put off a lot more dogs off than those who would enjoy it.

Later better than earlier.
Ye that's my understanding. But apart from this thread, I often seen and know boys that try dogs 12 months on em. Mental really.

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

heres my one

One Ov mine good fox dog

One more only young but showing good signs roll on the season

Posted Images

I'm not into foxes myself, but see a few people mention 15months, is that not young?

Maybe the reason so many failed dogs about on foxes is because the early entering.

So giving a 15 month old dog a face full of the sharp end would prob put off a lot more dogs off than those who would enjoy it.

Ye that's my understanding. But apart from this thread, I often seen and know boys that try dogs 12 months on em. Mental really.

I know lads who enter them a lot earlier than that too. Each to their own though. I would prefer later than earlier. If it was legal.

I know lads who enter them a lot earlier than that too. Each to their own though. I would prefer later than earlier. If it was legal.
earlier than 12 month lol

Some dogs are started at 9 or 10 months and excel at it.
  • Like 2

Yep I know lads who will get rid of a dog if it isn't doing the job at 9-10 month or at least showing very good promise.

I give mine plenty of time but as said each to their own.

Yep I know lads who will get rid of a dog if it isn't doing the job at 9-10 month or at least showing very good promise.

bet those lads are well ard.

lol doing the job at 9 month. Kin ell they must have plenty room for few dogs on at a time. Cos I bet they don't half go through some jackers
  • Like 1

lol doing the job at 9 month. Kin ell they must have plenty room for few dogs on at a time. Cos I bet they don't half go through some jackers

they proberly would do the job if those lads waited longer.

No doubt about it

Pre ban

Years ago we had a good foxing bitch out with a good hard 4 seasons under its belt one particular night called a fox in to 35 yards the field was not a really big one slipped the bitch to the fox they both managed to go through the hedge anyway a few seconds later the dog started making some racket so I thought the fox had got away and the dog had got hooked up so told my mates to hurry and get the dog they where nearly more than half way across and the dog was still making a racket twhen the dog comes back I thought it would need going to the vets for a stitch job after a few minutes mates came back with the dog and a big dog fox the bitch looked worse for wear so carried on had a good night but left the bitch in the van took about 2 1/2weeks for it to heal up then we took her out again called another fox in the bitch ran about 10 foot then stopped and turned round so u know what's going through everybody's head at that time so we decided to,pair it up and it did exactly the same thing so were all saying the dogs jacked so then we decided to leave it off for a while to see if it would come round so we took it out 1 more time and ran it on a cub and u know how dopey they are the dog ran about5 foot and just stood and looked at it that dog never took another fox again we were all gutted just goes to show u can give a dog to much

• Like 8