Only for shotguns do you use snaps. The mechanism of a bolt action rifle cannot be harmed by dropping it on an

empty chamber. Shot guns are different and should be let down onto some resistance, if you don't use them it'll probably

be ok, but (especially on cheaper spec. older Spanish / Italian SBS) the firing pins can break in half, then the loose

bit will be spat into the barrel and lost & the gun won't fire until the pin is replaced.

I would broadly agree with andyf.

There may be a few instances where a snap cap in a shotgun may be marginally useful, but for the vast majority of modern shotguns and rifles they are simply a gimmick.

:thumbs:

The only reason I asked is I was told that if you don't use them it leaves the firing pin springs under load and that will cause damage to the springs.

As already mentioned, dry firing rifles isn't an issue.

Semi auto shotguns can be half fired and then released, and the vast majority of modern shotguns can be dry fired anyway.

So what's with ..... if you don't use them it leaves the firing pin springs under load?

Again, back to shotguns, especially 'old' ones (either actually old, or newer but of an old design), they have flat vee springs driving

the rocker mechanism that eventually strikes the captive firing pin, these are 'thought' to become 'tired' if left under full tension &

therefore if they are relaxed when not being used it is a way of ensuring it doesn't develop light strikes and miss-fires.

I actually think this was true years ago when materials were no where near as good as they are now.

Look at it like comparing a 75 year old vintage car to a brand new one, engines were worn out after 30,000 miles but now 150,000

is more like it.

So snap caps, up to you (in a shotgun) but in a rifle no point (coil springs) and a very short throw.

The only reason I asked is I was told that if you don't use them it leaves the firing pin springs under load and that will cause damage to the springs.

Semi auto shotguns can be half fired and then released, and the vast majority of modern shotguns can be dry fired anyway.

So what's with ..... if you don't use them it leaves the firing pin springs under load?

Ive always been under the assumption that dry firing a shotgun can damage the firing pins. Edited by tong po

Ive always been under the assumption that dry firing a shotgun can damage the firing pins.

It's 2016 now!

Older guns have already been discussed.

ATB! :thumbs:

And if you fire them using snap-caps you then leave the ejector springs under tension.....................................

G

Only for shotguns do you use snaps. The mechanism of a bolt action rifle cannot be harmed by dropping it on an

empty chamber. Shot guns are different and should be let down onto some resistance, if you don't use them it'll probably

be ok, but (especially on cheaper spec. older Spanish / Italian SBS) the firing pins can break in half, then the loose

bit will be spat into the barrel and lost & the gun won't fire until the pin is replaced.

I know this is veering away from the op a little but I have always been told that although it's fine to dry fire a centre fire rifle you should never do the same with a rimfire (never quite understood it but got the impression it was something to do with the location of the firing pin and what it may or may not strike). As has been mentioned above I can't see a need to dry fire any gun but have always wondered about the truth behind the rimfire story :)