What Lb Line For Big Carp

The TC makes a difference when it comes to line does it? Im going for 20lb fish upwards, i try not to touch anything below that.

The test curve is the weight required to bend a rod to 90 degrees,for minimum and maximum line strengths miltiply T/c X3 for minimum and X6 for maximum,thats the rule of thumb inwas taught anyway.I saw a guy last year targetting carp with an uptide rod and 80lb breaking strain braid,he was trying for 100+ carp though,and stood a good chance of hooking bigger fish of different species.

16lb would be my choice for 20lb plus carp, imo the line has to be balanced with the rod, too light of a line on a heavy rod results in hooks pulls and line breaks same with light rod heavy line except it's not the line that breaks it's the rod, the line stretch and the compression you get in the rod have to match or something breaks hope that helps

• Like 1

The TC makes a difference when it comes to line does it? Im going for 20lb fish upwards, i try not to touch anything below that.

The test curve is the weight required to bend a rod to 90 degrees,for minimum and maximum line strengths miltiply T/c X3 for minimum and X6 for maximum,thats the rule of thumb inwas taught anyway.I saw a guy last year targetting carp with an uptide rod and 80lb breaking strain braid,he was trying for 100+ carp though,and stood a good chance of hooking bigger fish of different species.

Well i didnt know that, cheers for the info. So would it be daft to put 16lb line on a 2.75tc? I normally 12lb but after 8 trips to a certain lake without a fish (this isnt unheard of at this lake) i finally hooked into a big un and snapped me up... Devastating and wouldnt want that to happen again

I would also consider how snaggy the water is you are targeting. More snags I would go heavier so you can bully them a touch more, and a little more insurance if your line rubs against something. Trade off is reduced casting distance and I always feel less bites on the heavier mainline. Clear, open water lighten up, you will get more runs. Gaz

• Like 2

I would be more concerned about Weed/snags/bottom/bars than the weight of the fish, in open water i have fish to 56lb on 12lb line... a lot of lakes stipulate minimum breaking strain, where im off to in France they like you to use 15lb, there are some great lines out there that don't cost a fortune have a look at Gardner HD, in 12/15 Diawa Sensor....or if your feeling flush 12lb GR60, :)

I wouldn't worry about the test curve, a 3.0lb TC through action rod will be more forgiving the a 2.75lb TC fast taper rod

"Well i didnt know that, cheers for the info. So would it be daft to put 16lb line on a 2.75tc? I normally 12lb but after 8 trips to a certain lake without a fish (this isnt unheard of at this lake) i finally hooked into a big un and snapped me up... Devastating and wouldnt want that to happen again"

When you got snapped up did check your line, was it a clean snap, or frayed at all....?

A spot that is snag free 12lb is ok. Where did you get snapped up? Snag free you can afford to slacken off your clutch more.

I prefer to go on the lighter side (comes from match fishing apprenticeship), but not sensible when your fishing near any snags.

Edited by Columbo

12lb line can take really big fish, when you say a big fish snapped the line....i wouldn't say it was the fish that snapped it....it was either a weak spot on your line, or the fish rubbed the line over something causing it to snap, in my opinion it would take a pretty big fish to snap 12lb line when playing it in,