You wont need to buy them most farmers will give you them for free as they cost more to keep than there worth.

I would give you one but im in cumbria so not much use really.

Really ? Why keep them then ?

Would it not be better to keep something else / not bother ?

You wont need to buy them most farmers will give you them for free as they cost more to keep than there worth.

Can you really not see the extra work and cost involved in rearing a pet lamb as opposed to a mother fed lamb?

TC

Edited by tiercel
  • Like 1

Because if a ewe is feeding the lamb its self it doesnt cost me anything but if the ewe dies or she wont take it or i havent got a single ewe to put the lamb to i have to buy lamb milk powder to feed the lamb or lambs 4 or 5 times a day and lamb milk is very expensive you only want to use it to keep them going until you can put them to a ewe.

It can get pretty costlly when your feeding 10 pet lambs all the way into june.

• Like 1

Bottle feeding is a chore even with a couple of pet lambs.

Far better to get one of these .

post-13773-0-02013400-1461530919_thumb.jpg

Or Its easy enough to make something similar if you only have a couple of lambs and want to save money ; all you have to do is drill holes in a clean container to accommodate the required number of teats-about £3 for a packet of six from any farm supplier.

Obviously these devices are standard kit for farmers but enthusiastic pet keepers don't always realise their value.

They only need filling once a day and produce far better results than bottle feeding. The lamb happily feeds itself as and when it feels the need just as it would from the ewe. Much healthier than going hungry between bottle feeds, glutting every four hours or so and probably not really getting all it needs. The lambs soon settle on air temperature milk so there is no need to fuss about heating bottles.

The lamb still recognises the owner as "mummy who fills the bucket" and stays tame.

But ,yes milk powder is expensive and they will get through a lot more milk than if they are bottle fed but should be strong enough to be weaned at five weeks.

Edited by comanche
  • Like 1