Coat Preference

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Rough with a double coat and the coat should be harsh not soft.

All coats will hold water, but some will shake it off easier. The difference I find with a harsh double coat is it's harder for rain to penatrate it. This bitch has a soft coat, it doesn't hold out r

in the cold and wet a bit more fat on the dog is as important as coat, too light and they suffer in the cold, visa versa in the heat.

Posted Images

I like a broken coat and rough coat..they just don't look better to me, but we're I'm from it gets really cold in the winter and seems to help..and if the quarry gets them there's a little more hair to fill there mouth instead of flesh..jmo...but I've owned some smoth coats that had dense hair also that was nice..as long as the coat is dense it shouldn't matter I wouldn't think.. jmo

• Like 1

All coats will hold water, but some will shake it off easier. The difference I find with a harsh double coat is it's harder for rain to penatrate it.

This bitch has a soft coat, it doesn't hold out rain but it doesn't affect her work. I don't think we get the weather anymore that should dictate the dogs coats, most people drive to earths in 4x4's or quads to.

post-55605-0-35881500-1461217707_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

I've always prefered a good tight rough coat. The type that when you part it you struggle to see the skin.

We rarely leave a terrier in a vehicle and sometimes IMO it's the terrier that's pegged out on a long dig that needs the good coat more than the terrier being dug too.

Ever since I was young and during a blizzard seeing a bull terrier nearly freeze to death while a Wheaten that was pegged close by was very comfortable have I known what I think is the best coat for a working terrier.

I've always prefered a good tight rough coat. The type that when you part it you struggle to see the skin.

We rarely leave a terrier in a vehicle and sometimes IMO it's the terrier that's pegged out on a long dig that needs the good coat more than the terrier being dug too.

Ever since I was young and during a blizzard seeing a bull terrier nearly freeze to death while a Wheaten that was pegged close by was very comfortable have I known what I think is the best coat for a working terrier.

Could that have been the skin/pelt of the wheaten neil and not the coat?

Soft fluffy coats are horrid in my opinion they get balled up in muck in the morning and wet and they have to carry that with them all day

If it's the hide itself then I couldn't think of a tougher hide than that on a proper bull type. It's the coat that keeps a dog warm.

I agree about soft fluffy coats. Good for nothing IMO.