Transporting Guns & Ammo

How do you guys transport holiday guns and ammo? I’m going on a weeks shoot about 300 miles from home so will need service station stops ect… I’m thinking of using my van vault 2.

The list of gear is:

HW100: (none FAC)

SxS 12G Shotgun:

O/U 12g Shotgun:

Semi-auto 12g Shotgun:

.22lr Rifle:

.17 hmr Rifle:

1000 12g cartridges:

1000 rounds .22lr ammo:

500 rounds .17 hmr ammo:

I will be taking the bolts out of the rifles and forends off the shotguns and storing them in a separate locked box. Will this suffice for service station stops? Or are there any other precautions for transporting this amount of guns and ammo?

Nothing visible, bolts out if practical. Personally I had my windows heavily tinted to help hide any sporting paraphernalia that might suggest guns/ammo kept in the vehicle. Obviously vehicle always locked with immobiliser (standard in modern cars) and parked within sight if possible at services.

Anything beyond that I would consider unreasonable and would argue that in court if necessary.

• Like 2

For the sake of a 300 mile trip I would pack a flask and sandwiches. Park up on the services and stop in the van for an hour or so and then continue on your way.

Funnily enough I would imagine that a van on a motorway services car park would be more of an attraction to scum than a car, and your guns would be out of sight in the boot.

G

1000rds of .22rf and 500rds of 17Hmr ...............bloody hell ya must be going somewhere infested with vermin :laugh::laugh::laugh:

• Like 1

For the sake of a 300 mile trip I would pack a flask and sandwiches. Park up on the services and stop in the van for an hour or so and then continue on your way.

Funnily enough I would imagine that a van on a motorway services car park would be more of an attraction to scum than a car, and your guns would be out of sight in the boot.

G

1000rds of .22rf and 500rds of 17Hmr ...............bloody hell ya must be going somewhere infested with vermin :laugh::laugh::laugh:

I'll be doing some zeroing as well, no problem using 200 rounds per day :-)

G

300 mile from Kent that puts you around the Yorkshire area, with all that lead flying around may be a good idea for me to stop in doors for a week :laugh:

G

300 mile from Kent that puts you around the Yorkshire area, with all that lead flying around may be a good idea for me to stop in doors for a week :laugh:

Ha Ha! Going right to left! Ending up in Exmore!

• 1 month later...

How do you guys transport holiday guns and ammo? I’m going on a weeks shoot about 300 miles from home so will need service station stops ect… I’m thinking of using my van vault 2.

I often used a site box for storage when carrying rifles in my van. I think/know they are stronger than my BS approved gunsafe! Keep the bolts well away and you've done as much the police would expect. I'd carry the bolts separately in a small bag when away from the vehicle at the service station myself.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/117636/firearms-security-handbook.pdf

Part 7.

If you have a van vault, I'd personally try and disguise it if it's visible from outside. Just dump a green plastic tarpaulin on top of it just scrumpled up, thrown in to one side and leaving it looking roughly folded as if there's nothing stored underneath.

More usual precautions would be trigger locks on the shotguns (as there's no bolts to remove), keeping ammo and guns separate and attached to the vehicle with cables - with a van vault you could possibly use a locking steel ammo box inside the vault and if there's anything to attach it to, cable it down inside the vault making it twice as hard to get both. That way you prevent anyone from taking the ammo box because it's easier than breaching the vault.

Personally, I'd consider carrying the bolts on your person as they'll easily fit in a pocket. That way they're truly separated. The more effort you make, the better you stand if the worse happens.

It's a case of how long is a piece of string really as there are no set rules just considerations and advice. Just be aware though if anything goes missing your precautions will come under scrutiny and if not considered sufficient could result in prosecution, so make every effort.

• 2 weeks later...

Do you drive a MK 6 or MK7 Ford Transit?. If you do do not leave ANYTHING in it if you haven't got any after market security on the door locks. The lock on a Ford is called a Tibbe lock and can be picked in seconds. You can get picks for ANY vehicle but the 6 and 7 Transits are the quickest and easiest to get into. Check this video out

I've add an after market Hykee lock to my Transit, the same as this bloke

The list of gear is:
SxS 12G Shotgun:
O/U 12g Shotgun:
Semi-auto 12g Shotgun:
.22lr Rifle:
.17 hmr Rifle:
1000 12g cartridges:
1000 rounds .22lr ammo:
500 rounds .17 hmr ammo:
I will be taking the bolts out of the rifles and forends off the shotguns and storing them in a separate locked box. Will this suffice for service station stops? Or are there any other precautions for transporting this amount of guns and ammo?

Just looked at the vault and it says it has a 70mm disc lock. These locks are shite and can be raked in seconds. Watch this video

You would be better off welding a clasp on the side of the bin and then use one of these lockshttp://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HEAVY-DUTY-SHUTTER-LOCK-LOCKS-PADLOCK-PADLOCKS-50-MM-70-MM-90-MM-3-KEYS-NEW-/291372722751?var=&hash=item43d72aea3f:m:mfnwA although they are only cheap, you can't cut them off with bolt cutters and you can't pick them, unless you are skilled, as they don't use pins inside the lock, they use little discs.

The list of gear is:
SxS 12G Shotgun:
O/U 12g Shotgun:
Semi-auto 12g Shotgun:
.22lr Rifle:
.17 hmr Rifle:
1000 12g cartridges:
1000 rounds .22lr ammo:
500 rounds .17 hmr ammo:

Just looked at the vault and it says it has a 70mm disc lock. These locks are shite and can be raked in seconds. Watch this video

You would be better off welding a clasp on the side of the bin and then use one of these lockshttp://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HEAVY-DUTY-SHUTTER-LOCK-LOCKS-PADLOCK-PADLOCKS-50-MM-70-MM-90-MM-3-KEYS-NEW-/291372722751?var=&hash=item43d72aea3f:m:mfnwA although they are only cheap, you can't cut them off with bolt cutters and you can't pick them, unless you are skilled, as they don't use pins inside the lock, they use little discs.

Agreed! I changed the lock the day I picked it up!