Grey Partridge Feeding With Hoppers

Hi all, we released some pen reared grey partridge on our club land last autumn, and it seems several pairs have now taken territories .

Im interested in putting out a hopper to help these birds ,we generally dont continue feeding after march .

Its a case of whenever the hoppers run empty after the shooting season they are left until birds are going out on the ground again.

Not ideal but we are a small club and at this time of year we are busy trapping vermin.

Im thinking of a hopper with a mix of seed other than wheat or barley, something that the crows wont bother with.

im told that partridge will spend the time picking the small seeds such as linseed, millet and hemp.

each pair could have a few hoppers close to where we think the hen will nest.

As we are only talking a couple of hoppers volume of seed wont be huge.

Any one tried this before?

Hoppers with feed in will be great focal points for territories. So put them where the birds have the best chance of successfully nesting- as otherwise you could lure them away from better habitat. If you notice two males fighting near a hopper, placing an extra one nearby will generally result in them making two smaller territories quite happily.

Watch out for concentrating rats nearby too otherwise they'll undo all your hard work.

Good luck :)

Id imagine that the paired birds have settled in their territories at this stage.

Im hoping a hopper will reduce the hens time off the nest, and better chance of producing a hatch. What happens with these chicks is anybodys guess.

This is an area of intensive farming,close cropped fields, a rotation of sheep and cattle in the paticular spot where the birds are, still something seems to keep them here since october.

I mentioned it mate cause that's what we used for reds/greys. The problem with your jackdaws and rooks are they will eat anything they find.

Id just get feeding whatever you like and if a particular feeder is being hammered then have a day sitting there flattening them with the old shotgun...?

• Like 1

You do what you thinks best mate. I'm not sure of the study you have read but I'd imagine they are talking about them scrapping around in free rides. If the hoppers are full and accessible to corvids they will eat whatever is in there.

You do what you thinks best mate. I'm not sure of the study you have read but I'd imagine they are talking about them scrapping around in feed rides. If the hoppers are full and accessible to corvids they will eat whatever is in there.