Opinions On Rifles

Brno or CZ .22lr using subs. Rabbits and crows out to 100 yards with practice and fox upto 60 yards (headshot) using the same ammo. Ammo cost is around £5 for 50 rounds and is as quiet as a air rifle with a mod. Basic setup is likely to cost between £150 and £300 second hand. Nothing wrong with a second hand .22lr my Brno mod 2 which is a CZ452 cost me £150 with sak silencer. Chucked a cheap no thrills Hawke scope on top and does me for everything mate.

I have the older P94 Sako Finnfire (wooden stock) and had it cut down to 18" and then put a PH moderator on it. It's a fair bit lighter than the CZ and with batch tested ammo it's absolutely deadly.

If weight isn't an issue have you thought about a CZ 452 Varmint with the 18" barrel in 17Hmr. Stick a SAK on the front and it is ideal for small vermin up to 200yds if you do your part. Foxes can be taken with this as well, as long as you use your discretion and don't try to take them at silly ranges.

G

Edited by Graham M

I have the older P94 Sako Finnfire (wooden stock) and had it cut down to 18" and then put a PH moderator on it. It's a fair bit lighter than the CZ and with batch tested ammo it's absolutely deadly.

If weight isn't an issue have you thought about a CZ 452 Varmint with the 18" barrel in 17Hmr. Stick a SAK on the front and it is ideal for small vermin up to 200yds if you do your part. Foxes can be taken with this as well, as long as you use your discretion and don't try to take them at silly ranges.

G

What am I missing Graham? The Sako Varmint (P94) lists as 3.3kg, the 452 Varmint as 3.2kg, 21" barrel and the 455 Varmint 3.2kg 21", and 3.0kg 16"

That makes the CZ lighter from what I can see.

CZ also offer several lighter models if weight is a problem!

Edited by Deker

Read it again. I have the Sako Finnfire with the wooden stock; (5lb 12 oz / 2.6Kg) .................not the varmint.

Cut 6 inches off the end and replace it with the old Parker Hale and it's more or less the same weight.

G

The Sako Varmint has a wooden stock, thought that's what you were comparing the CZ to!

The Sako Hunter also has a wooden stock and is indeed a chunk lighter than the CZ Varmint!

:laugh: That's why I have the American or Silhouette versions, no desire/use/need for any Varmint rifle weight for field work personally!

post-10759-0-71995600-1460965110_thumb.jpg

edit, bottom one is a Magtech 7022!

:thumbs:

Edited by Deker

Had a look at the Brazilian 10/22 copy some years ago but was put off by the drop of that comb. It was a bloody lightweight though but not too brilliant with subs.

G

Not sure about a 10/22 copy, it's a Mossberg 702 really. It works straight from the box and is primarily designed to be used with the iron sights it has, hence the comb drop.

post-10759-0-02440700-1461002819_thumb.jpg

That was my intention, but unfortunately with the state of my eyes I found I could either see the sights OR the target, unfortunately not both together, so a scope had to be fitted.

It is indeed incredibly light, and incredibly accurate, I was always a fan of Magtech subs in my CZ's and these also worked a treat in the 7022. The price has gone silly on the Magtech ammo now so, its Winchester or RWS generally these days, and the 7022 handles them well, my 7022 has only jammed once to my recollection and that was when I was testing suspect ammo for another 7022 owner!

Worst part by a mile is the trigger, it's improving a bit now, but the pull lasts about a fortnight, is about as smooth as gravel and breaks like a sponge.

Anyway......

CZ Bolt Action still first choice, but the 7022 has a place for me! :thumbs:

22lr for sure.

All I would like to add is please consider not shooting Charlie in the head. Not saying ever but rather than risk a busted jaw send one across the ribs, that way you have killed it for sure :-).

U.