Cremating Dogs

We had the two old ones put down just after Christmas , the old terrier was 17 the old lab 14 , luckily we have a mate who's a vet and she came round home and did them , she new both dogs and they new her so were at ease ..little bit of sedative then done ..still cried me eyes out ..before burying them in the garden .

• Like 6

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Last walk up the field for me,,,get the dog intrested in something,,,then it's all over....   I had an old hob ferret two year back,,,he was 8 ,,home bred,,he had a tumer,,,took him out ,,put him in

they lived to go to ground then that's where they rest,the wife has had a few cats,dog that's she's had cremated ,not for me,I dig 6ft for them one last time,the least I can do for them,not ashamed to

We had the two old ones put down just after Christmas , the old terrier was 17 the old lab 14 , luckily we have a mate who's a vet and she came round home and did them , she new both dogs and they new

I have had numerous dogs pts over many years, more years and dogs than I care to remember, never gets any easier.

I have shot everything over the years from Sheep Lambs Cows for farmers, Cats and dogs for other folk for various reasons, but for one reason or another I could never find the stomach to shoot my own dogs. Doubt I ever will, and to be honest I hope I never have to.

Bury it somewhere you're likely to go once in a while! When my lurcher bitch goes I know exactly where I'm burying her and it's somewhere Iv lamped her every year of her life and always had plenty of tackle.

• Like 2

I have had numerous dogs pts over many years, more years and dogs than I care to remember, never gets any easier.

I have shot everything over the years from Sheep Lambs Cows for farmers, Cats and dogs for other folk for various reasons, but for one reason or another I could never find the stomach to shoot my own dogs. Doubt I ever will, and to be honest I hope I never have to.

i put my own dog down f****d me up never had guns out for two years after that but can shoot others dogs no problem

You pay more for individual cremation of an animal, then you know the ashes you get back are just your animals. You can get ashes back from a mixed one, but it won't be all your pet. I have all my dogs cremated - scatter some of the ashes in favourite walks, and kept a small bit from each, which I keep with their collars. Each to their own - it isn't for everyone, but each person has to do what suits them. Military housing means multiple house moves, so burying in the garden was never an option, although I would have done that if circumstances had allowed. I wasn't allowed to bury my old horse on my farm, as there was an issue with water courses and some such stuff, and you are meant to have a permit to do so, so he went to the kennels, and a braid of tail hair kept back with his headcollar, as a memory. After nearly 30 years of ownership, that was a tough one.

I applied for a job at a pet crem, they where very strict with cleaning out the Ashes and it was all above board.

I didn't get the job. They didn't look happy when I asked if I could skin the horses first....and suggested I could get £5 each for horse tails

• Like 1

When I had my bandog cremated I raised concerns with the vet about getting back a mix of ashes and they assured me the crematorium they use is regularly inspected to make sure they only do one animal at a time and clean the grates out after every burn. Even had certificates of inspection to show me.

Much rather have them buried in the garden but I was moving about at the time so cremation was the only option. Still got them too, never had the heart to scatter them I like to keep him close.

• Like 2

Once had a husky put to sleep tomo.I wish I had a gun that day.said bitch was scared to death as it was of the vets..took the vet what seem 20 odd times of sticking the needel in to find the vain.heart braking ....never forgot the crying and the look in the eye of the old girl.

bloody hell shame that, pity you couldnt have her put down at home, i know it costs more but at least the dogs goes out alot calmer :yes:

My old JR in my younger days on the final trip to the vet he was on the passenger seat and I leaned across to cheer him up and he gave me a big smacker on the cheek and a head butt lol that was his thing. After the deed was done I drove round our old haunts taking in the memories. I still go to them places now and the memories come back

• Like 2

Done it years ago with my old EBT, at 17 years old he was the family dog and we thought it the best decision.

TBH for all the family it was almost pointless, no sentiment with a box of powder. Just a waste of money for us.

Nah Tomo's dead right... great post. ;)

I went to a place in Surrey a guy had an ancient chimney/incinerator affair in his garden. His were strictly one animal at a time.

Is that Silvermere Haven in Cobham?

No. just looked it up. It was actually Hampshire. Dignity pet crem. Although I have used Silvermere in the past too.