Getting There With N133 Recipe

I've been playing around with different loads for my 223 using Viihtavuori N133. I took an assortment to Bisley yesterday and unfortunately could only get on a 200 yard range. I'd have preferred 100 yards to rule out the wind, but hey-ho. It was gusting a bit left to right and after spraying a few rounds like a shotgun (though not as bad as my shooting partner :laugh: ) I found 2 loads that seemed to group ok. 24.0 grain and 24.5 grain seemed to be the best, so I'll stick with the lower load for now.

No cloverleaf yet, but would have been a lot tighter at 100 yards. 53 gr V-max, 24.0 gr N133.

20160413_162602.jpg

I've been playing around with different loads for my 223 using Viihtavuori N133. I took an assortment to Bisley yesterday and unfortunately could only get on a 200 yard range. I'd have preferred 100 yards to rule out the wind, but hey-ho. It was gusting a bit left to right and after spraying a few rounds like a shotgun (though not as bad as my shooting partner :laugh: ) I found 2 loads that seemed to group ok. 24.0 grain and 24.5 grain seemed to be the best, so I'll stick with the lower load for now.

No cloverleaf yet, but would have been a lot tighter at 100 yards. 53 gr V-max, 24.0 gr N133.

attachicon.gif20160413_162602.jpg

I'll get a few pics uploaded of my groupings at 200 yards when I get out (hopefully next few days). I've had my .223 on night-time foxing duty for the last few months so I need to get it back into daytime mode. ;) . I've never used N133 Walshie so I can't give any opinion or advice there. I run CFE 223 out of mine with 55gr Nosler Varmageddon pills.

One of the best loads I had with .223Rem was 24grns of Reloader 12. Unfortunately they stopped making it and replaced it with R10.

Never got around to trying R10 but did have great success with 19.5grns of Reloader 7. These were all using 55grn TNT

G

"Now then, now then ......... " ;)

Here you go Walshie, 3 shots from my .223 at 100 yards. 26.5 grains of CFE 223. Fiocchi primers. 55 grain Nosler Varma.

http://s1055.photobucket.com/user/Tremo-01/library/Shooting

• Like 2

"Now then, now then ......... " ;)

Here you go Walshie, 3 shots from my .223 at 100 yards. 26.5 grains of CFE 223. Fiocchi primers. 55 grain Nosler Varma.

http://s1055.photobucket.com/user/Tremo-01/library/Shooting

gun seems to like that brew tremo :thumbs:

• Like 1

Walshie - There is nothing wrong using N133 in your 223 it is an inherently consistent clean burning powder well suited for the 50/53 gr bullets. And yes - in the perfect world 100 yds gives a better indication of what you are trying to achieve without the vagaries of including variable wind situations.

A couple bits of advice! As the 223 is a small case, consider small increases of powder in multiples of .2 gr (1/2 gr can be extreme) Start off at least 40 thou from the lands and ensure the prepping of your cases are a slow and methodical exercise. Good cleaning regime. If possible shoot of a solid front rest (I'm not a fan of bipods when load developing) and equally important a butt rest bag.

A couple of people's 223 s I have reloaded for.

post-17645-0-51965300-1460790778_thumb.jpg

post-17645-0-50730000-1460790805_thumb.jpg

This target was for a chap's 223 at 350 yds 5 shots (group size 2.1")

post-17645-0-22429000-1460790839_thumb.jpg

Edited by dicehorn

Wow. The only thing that makes me feel better is that the wind was a lot stronger when I was out. (That's my excuse :laugh: )

I'm not a target shooter normally. I just use the range occasionally.

I agree with the .2gr increments for powder. I did that a couple of weeks ago. 23.8 to 24.8. Now 24.0 and 24.5 seem to be similar so I'll stick with the 24.0 for now. :thumbs:

It is a process that will drive you mad, that's for sure. :cray:

When I was out I took a few spare rounds that I had left over from a different batch. The load was exactly the same, all except the primers. These few were using CCI 400. The consistency of this group was just as tight, but they all shot an inch or so lower than the rounds using the Fiocchi primers. Mad eh?

Good luck with holding on to your sanity Walshie. It managed to drive me bonkers a long time ago. :thumbs:

Edited by Tremo
  • 1 month later...

It seems that you're using the same powder and bullets as me walshie.

I've loaded mine 10 thou off the lands at 2.285" and I'm using CCI BR4 primers. I've found these to be more consistent so give them a whirl too.

Interesting that you're at a similar powder weight as my good groups. I haven't found any pressure signs up to 25grs but the grouping did open up

It seems that you're using the same powder and bullets as me walshie.

I've loaded mine 10 thou off the lands at 2.285" and I'm using CCI BR4 primers. I've found these to be more consistent so give them a whirl too.

Interesting that you're at a similar powder weight as my good groups. I haven't found any pressure signs up to 25grs but the grouping did open up

Mine were a bit shorter at 2.260". :thumbs:

No I haven't. I don't want to drive myself nuts and what I use at the moment does exactly what I need in the field.

That'll do then! Just playing with loads for my 22 Hornet now. 12.4gr of Lil Gun behind a 35gr V-Max seems to do the job