Using Bait For Foxes

Ha, I have been trying to bait a couple of foxes for the last few weeks, I have to date used, a whole chicken in feather, untouched, I open said chicken up so guts and stuff hanging out, untouched, a whole turkey in feather, untouched, I ripped the breast open, untouched, I ripped the guts open, untouched, a whole rabbit in the fur, untouched, I opened the rabbit up, untouched, I have tried fresh fish, untouched, smelly fish, untouched, dog food, untouched, I have seen the foxes within 3 yards of the bait, but crucially they will not go in the trap, I smeared the trap with blood and guts to give of scent, still nowt, so I am guessing either the trap is spooking them or they have enough food they are not hungry enough to go in for it.

Every time I have seen the foxes next to the trap I never have a rifle, four days we sat out with the rifle, didn't see a fox ! Go figure !

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

trick i used to use years ago was to get a battery analogue travel clock one of the small ones, take the battery cover off and tie some fishing line to the battery on the other end of the fishing line

Sat around my sons pens at release time last year and he tipped deer guts out in open areas to draw them. It worked a treat. I shot 14 over the week I was there. We've also shot them over fallen stock

Bloody hell you learn something everyday lol good idea mate thats something I'll definitely have to try Me and my mate went out tonight and set up a bit of a baiting station with a few dead lambs wit

Trail cameras are dirt cheap these days...

Agreed, but which ones are any good, I been looking at some.

I'm looking at buying this; http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-UK-Stocks-12MP-Ltl-Acorn-5210A-940NM-Wildlife-Hunting-Scouting-Trail-Camera-/261556351377?hash=item3ce5f93191:g:FxoAAOSwajVUTgfu

A thread in the wildlife forum seemed to praise it.

:hmm:

Ha, I have been trying to bait a couple of foxes for the last few weeks, I have to date used, a whole chicken in feather, untouched, I open said chicken up so guts and stuff hanging out, untouched, a whole turkey in feather, untouched, I ripped the breast open, untouched, I ripped the guts open, untouched, a whole rabbit in the fur, untouched, I opened the rabbit up, untouched, I have tried fresh fish, untouched, smelly fish, untouched, dog food, untouched, I have seen the foxes within 3 yards of the bait, but crucially they will not go in the trap, I smeared the trap with blood and guts to give of scent, still nowt, so I am guessing either the trap is spooking them or they have enough food they are not hungry enough to go in for it.

Every time I have seen the foxes next to the trap I never have a rifle, four days we sat out with the rifle, didn't see a fox ! Go figure !

could be they smell human scent on the trap and bait .or they just aint hungry :thumbs:

Better info

Okay to use this bait, after it is brewed you can use an atomizer...sray bottle...to spray a shrub or grass area where you want to shoot, or you can place it onto some cotton balls in a plastic ziplock bag and set them out where you want to shoot.

BE WARNED DO NOT SPILL IT ON YOURSELF AS YOU WILL HAVE TO WEAR IT OFF

This is my number one bait for trapping or shooting nuicance fox and coyotes. An added bonus it it also attracts bucks when the deer come into rut, and has been the demise of many a large mature buck.

Ok, Here goes:

Go to your local stables and ask for some hoof trimming. You may need to time it with a visit from the ferrier, or have them saved for you. If you know a ferrier ask him to keep some for you.

The frog or center of the hoof is the best, but any part of the hoof will work.

Take the hooves and cut or break into 1 to 2 inches pieces.

Then take these pieces and an old pan or bucket, using a fish cooker and doing this outside, cover the hooves with water and begin boiling, making sure to keep the hooves covered with at least 1 inch of water. Boil as long as you like, but 1 to 2 hours is plenty.

Let the hooves and water cool, then place in sometype of container... I use the 1 gallon plastic jugs that restraunts get there mayonases in.

Pour the hooves and water into your container and fill to almost the top with clean fresh water. Set your container in full sun for as long as you want. It should turn black in a few days. The longer it sets the better it gets.

I usually make up a batch after the last cold spell of the year and leave it setting out until the first cold spell of the next year... Make sure to set your jug where dogs can't get to it.

Once you have some made, just add water to the jar once you take some out for use....

If you do not have an area that you can boil it first, you can start it from scratch in the jug in the sun but it takes a little longer to get going. If boiled first you can start to use it in about 2 to 3 weeks, if just sun brewed it takes about 6 weeks.

• Like 1

Well be out since half five just as it was getting light out comes charlie walked up the hedge and started pouncing on the bait and pulling bits off

It was a while before it stopped still enough but stop it did lol

Nice chest shot at just over 200 yards happy days going to give it an hour then have a look for some pigeons

• Like 1

Well be out since half five just as it was getting light out comes charlie walked up the hedge and started pouncing on the bait and pulling bits off

It was a while before it stopped still enough but stop it did lol

Nice chest shot at just over 200 yards happy days going to give it an hour then have a look for some pigeons

Well done !!

Andy