Steel Shot Question

I have an old Baikal side by side 12 bore and was wondering if it would be OK to use Steel shot in it?

Its not proofed for steel but I read that it should be Ok.

I am interested in using it for some pigeon shooting, which I can then use for feeding ferrets, hawks etc.

Thanks guys.

I read that you can use non high performance shot without issue.

I was just checking...lol

I was considering buying a semi-automatic but cash is tight right now so I would prefer to stick with the old side by side for the time being.

You can use none high performance steel no problem providing your gun is half choke or less, I would check, as Russian Purdy's tend to be tightly choked, keep your range down to a sensible limit, as it does `not have the legs that high performance stuff does.

Standard steel shot can be put through any choke ..

You can use none high performance steel no problem providing your gun is half choke or less, I would check, as Russian Purdy's tend to be tightly choked, keep your range down to a sensible limit, as it does `not have the legs that high performance stuff does.

Standard steel shot can be put through any choke ..

Yes it can, however due to its hardness, it is much more likely to cause choke bulge or flare, in older tightly choked guns, hence the "recommendation" that in standard guns it only be fired through half choke or less, but its your gun, your money :thumbs:

• Like 1