Muntie Management

Last Sunday saw myself and Matt on an invite to a mates to try to get a few muntjac that will cause problems with the pheasant feeders soon .Matt dosnt get the opportunity to shoot this little deer much so i was anxious to get him one or two .Our host is a gent and offered to guide Matt round as i know this wooded are well .He took Matt towards a high seat where he has bagged a few himself whilst i went down the centre ride to check the wood edges .Just got to the bottem and glassed the field below and spotted a muntie doe grazing 10 m from cover ,a rare site in daylight .Phoned our host Tony and Matt duly arrived to spy the doe himself .She retreated to the hedge and promptly sat down in full view ,another first for me .It was decided Matt would stalk down the hedge which dog legged around enough to hide him from her and i would text him to let him know when to crawl out in the field for his shot .She was about 300 yds away so he had a bit to go before the text .I text him and Matt crawled out in the field ,eventually being able to see her from his position .A head shot with the 223 saw her down and Matts first of the outing

IMG_1936_1.jpg

After the gralloch,Matt went back with Tony to sit in a large double seat whilst i waited at the bottem of the wood to scan the edge and fields below .Rifle on sticks and soon i noticed a hare coming lolloping from my left along the ditch i was in.It hopped literally through the sticks and out onto the field in front .

491D486D-5C6B-4E9C-A032-94AA8B048121.jpg

A bit later ,a muntie doe came running out the wood edge ,stopped and looked back at the run it came out of and sure enough a buck followed her .They were about 200yds away so i crawled into about 100 .Shot the buck to which the doe just stared at so took her too .

AE07C3F3-0F73-4F1C-962B-C6177830BE7E.jpg

Gralloching, i heard Matts rifle go twice and a text confirmed two more munties ,buck and doe.

IMG_1943.png

IMG_1909.jpg

IMG_1940.jpg

• Like 10

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Last Sunday saw myself and Matt on an invite to a mates to try to get a few muntjac that will cause problems with the pheasant feeders soon .Matt dosnt get the opportunity to shoot this little deer m

Dosnt look much but stuck he was . Then the big fella arrived and nearly never made it out either Bit of a rake over ,20 ton of seed and never know we been there .

You need some decent tyres Matt,I just put these on my Landrover recovery vehicle............

Good read and some quality pics, I always admire the markings on the munts, even though they are like vermin around me, I still think they are pretty.

Wish they hurry up and move north, Scarborough Filey area would be far enough.

• Like 1

Good read and some quality pics, I always admire the markings on the munts, even though they are like vermin around me, I still think they are pretty.

and a bit further and then left a touch ;)

• Like 1

and a bit further and then left a touch ;)

And were would that be DF?

It was a good afternoon wasn't it mate. Eventful not just for munties and certainly not short of them round there. Our host was very generous & I was very happy with that triple. That seat was in a peach of a spot. I'll get some pics up in a bit, cheers mate.

Your welcome to the bloody things, I I will try and send them north !

• Like 1

Your welcome to the bloody things, I I will try and send them north !
north and really west ;)
  • Like 1

Matt did get a wee bit stuck in his landy which im sure he can expand on lol

Ha, oh you cannot make a statement like that without going into more detail, I hope someone got a pic as well !

The pics will speak for themselves mate when I get them up... It was touch and go whether the tractor would get out at one point and it was no tiddler!