1/4 Ounce Off Of 9Lb

Exellent fish and your catch your choice mate, I've never eaten them but believe they are nice! I'm also to try perch yet? I've caught thousands of them but never thought about eating one, and the same with eels. Where was that caught btw? Up here in the lakes or somwhere else?

Atb ant

Im in to conservation as well guys but unfortunately my old terrier has got a knack of killing eels faster than i can say no with one bite ,as soon as i say im in which i try not to when he,s around he starts screaming pacing up and down the bank and whether its eel a fish or what ever hes straight in to it so with out wasting it thats why it was hot smoked and consumed.

WOW amazing Eel! did it get put back?

id love to know old it is.

id say anywhere between 15 /20 years they are full mature around this age and migrate anywhere up to 15 to 35 years of age

it would be way older than that id say 80 years old plus!

they migrate between 15/35 years old then die

it's a shame your dog in there first :(, personally i would had liked to see it fight for another day :yes:, normally a fish that old doesn't taste as good anyway :no:,

if it was me.....(and i'm not having a pop at you)...... the next time i went fishing i would leave the dog at home, or on a longish lead were it couldn't get to kill the fish i caught, as the next fish might be a fine specimen that you wouldn't want to take home,

• Like 1

WOW amazing Eel! did it get put back?

id love to know old it is.

id say anywhere between 15 /20 years they are full mature around this age and migrate anywhere up to 15 to 35 years of age

it would be way older than that id say 80 years old plus!

they migrate between 15/35 years old then die

Not if they are land locked like the ones I target. I was once told by an eel mad fisherman of over 40 years and he traveled the country chasing them that some don't get the urge to spawn so live in fresh water and grow to become the biggest ones that he targeted.

He also said the average growth rate is around 1 lbs for every 10 years but not sure how true this is! but he sure seemed to know his stuff.

either way still an amazing eel! fish of a lifetime!

There's an even better reason than conservation not to eat big eels...........Because they live so long in our fresh water systems their body gets the chance to absorb more chemicals, just think of all the pesticides and other chemicals farmers use, some waterways are full of heavy metals, i wouldn't eat something that's been grubbing about in that lot for 70 years.

There's an even better reason than conservation not to eat big eels...........Because they live so long in our fresh water systems their body gets the chance to absorb more chemicals, just think of all the pesticides and other chemicals farmers use, some waterways are full of heavy metals, i wouldn't eat something that's been grubbing about in that lot for 70 years.

i wondered why my balls had dropped to me ankles since eating it. All that mercury i guess lol.starting to wish i didnt share the pic now :cry:

Is that the Eel murderer in your profile pic ?

When I heard you killed I thought what a pity but at least you done him justice and used him, fair play. A lot of lads would have chucked it in the ditch.

That Eel could be 80 years old. How did he eat ?

Oh, and fair play to you for not claiming the 1/4 ounce .

Edited by neil cooney
  • Like 1

thanks neil i was struggling to respond with the noose around my neck i had it oak smoked [hot] locally to me so in theory it was cooked in this process but then i grilled it in steaks. Some were the size of the top of a pint glass . like i said the way it was caught was interesting i wasnt fishing for eels but accidents happen and like you said i gave it justice i couldnt just leave it put it like this eel is not on the top of my request when eating out so.ps my dog in the profile picks dont like eels i just set her on the pike :thumbs:

Edited by shep123
  • Like 1

thanks neil i was struggling to respond with the noose around my neck i had it oak smoked [hot] locally to me so in theory it was cooked in this process but then i grilled it in steaks. Some were the size of the top of a pint glass . like i said the way it was caught was interesting i wasnt fishing for eels but accidents happen and like you said i gave it justice i couldnt just leave it put it like this eel is not on the top of my request when eating out so.ps my dog in the profile picks dont like eels i just set her on the pike :thumbs:

LOL, used to keep a few like the one in your pic.

When you think about it, catching a specimen Eel on the fly puts you in a very small club. Not many can say they've done that.

• Like 1

i wondered why my balls had dropped to me ankles since eating it. All that mercury i guess lol.starting to wish i didnt share the pic now :cry:

Sorry mate, no offence intended. I read about some scientific survey they did on eels, supposedly a legit study, don't see why it wouldn't be on eels, they said eels do absorb more chemicals, which makes sense to me if they live so long? and advised against eating them, just a heads up really :thumbs: