A New Outdoor Aviary

I am planning to build an aviary, mainly it was a plan for somewhere my quails can live in, that I can walk in without bending, but the more I think about it, the more I would like to try keeping some more colourful birds with some song to them.

Is it feasible to have quail in the bottom of an aviary ? Or should I shelve the idea of keeping them together.

I have an ideal place to build one, it has a large wall on the back, and a smaller wall on one end, so I would need a front, one end, and a roof.

The size is approx 15 foot long, and I was thinking about 6 foot wide but could go up to 12 foot if I push the boat out.

As said, I want to build this so I can stand up easily in it, so must be 6 foot tall at the very least, I was thinking a sloping roof from polycarbonate sheets, and 1 inch mesh, I don't much like chicken wire as its a pain to get nice and tight, so been considering some sort of weld mesh.

Ps, we do have a fox problem so anything I do build must be fox and bloody cat proof.

I keep all manner of poultry, ducks, geese, turkeys and quail already, but would love some colourful aviary birds, although this would be the first time I ever kept anything of the sort, so doing some research at the moment.

I do sell a lot of my poultry chicks and trios, as well as supplying Christmas turkey, duck, goose and chicken, so we are very sufficient with what we have, and I justify spending a lot of time and money on my birds as I do get a return from them, are aviary birds the same, ie, could I market the young ? Or do I need to look at it as purely a hobby (easier to justify if I can sell some chicks).

Thoughts please guys, as this is something I would love to keep, and in a position to start building pretty much straight away.

Them quail don't live high! Build a foot high run and youv'e cracked it.lol.

Yeah that's what they are in now, but seen as I like easy access, collecting eggs, I thought an aviary to fill the space I am looking at, and get some nice aviary birds if they can live together, sorted.

• Like 1
Guest Navek

Had quail in the bottom of my canary avairy to pick up spilt seed . Put a small little box isn't he corner for them ( like a little terrier kennle ) to sleep in and lay eggs in .. They also like to hide in plant foliage...if your makin you avairy half coverd roof and hall open mesh roof so the song birds can sit in the rain then try putting some pot plants in there wat hang over to give them a little cover to hide in ..also had a sand box in corner of mine for them to dust bath and piss about in

Guest Navek

Had quail in the bottom of my canary avairy to pick up spilt seed . Put a small little box isn't he corner for them ( like a little terrier kennle ) to sleep in and lay eggs in .. They also like to hide in plant foliage...if your makin you avairy half coverd roof and hall open mesh roof so the song birds can sit in the rain then try putting some pot plants in there wat hang over to give them a little cover to hide in ..also had a sand box in corner of mine for them to dust bath and piss about in

post-99060-0-20071500-1460218984.jpeg

post-99060-0-63359600-1460219033.jpeg

Thanks navek, couple of good idea, do the songbirds like sitting in the rain ? I presumed they would prefer a covered roof, not a problem though.

They are some lovely birds in that last pic, I like those a lot, much fancier than my ones.

Guest Navek

What would you all say is favourite floor material ? I was thinking either leave it as grass, or perhaps some bark mulch down ?

ide do a mixture.. box a smal bit of with soil/sand were it will stay dry to dust bath then the rest I'd have as gras or gravel as when the seeds drop they will germinate and start to sprout in the gravel ...a lad I no had a gravel floor in his avairy with acouple of plants potted about and then after acouple of years were the seeds ad sprouted a grass had started to spout up it looks realy good and natural..just make sure there no poisons plants in there..there's plenty of sites which tell you which plants use

Wouldn't use bark...when it's wet it stinks and with all the bird shite and quail shite on wet moist bark it will stink

Edited by Navek
Guest Navek

Thanks navek, couple of good idea, do the songbirds like sitting in the rain ? I presumed they would prefer a covered roof, not a problem though.

They are some lovely birds in that last pic, I like those a lot, much fancier than my ones.

think all outside birds like sitting in the rain...if you have half a roof it at least gives them the choice...my canaries and finches loved the rain ...

I would use 1/2" x 1" if you plan on canaries or similar , I had 1" on my first aviary and a few escaped . I would also slab or concrete the floor and make a small area with turf on , it can then be replaced when no good , concrete / slabs can be hosed and swept easier

Edited by pappabear
  • Like 2