Boxing At The Weekend...

7 hours ago, jiggy said:

McGregor to be fair beat the best there was on offer before he got his arse handed to him by khabib. Max Holloway, Chad mendes, Eddie alvarez ,Dustin poirer and Jose Aldo were top of the food chain. He is a mouth but backed it up as often as not.

Yep fair point....what i meant was they end up being big box office based on their personality/entertainment instead of their fighting......Mcgregor/Mayweather being the perfect example.

• Like 2

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The THL fight club

Just got back from my lads first fight.  Think I was more nervous than him!

Joshua really is just a straight acting kid no frills and tassles he doesnt fall into all the silly stuff that is popular with fighters these days he has the mindset that if he is good enough he will

Posted Images

5 hours ago, MickC said:

Gnash we all want the big fights involving Fury Wilder Ruiz Joshua and yes the Wallin fight for Fury is a fight that boxing followers know is not up to much I have never denied that but to casuals on the other hand who are buying  into this "American Fury " they will lap it up. Fury was slated for facing Shwarz who was ranked WBO no2 but Whyte fights the WBC rated no 10 in Rivas after refusing to fight the higher ranked WBC no 3 Ortiz (at the time iirc) and its for an eliminator ? but nobody says a word ? Ive said it before but todays modern " Big Promoters" have too much say in all aspects of pro boxing from manipulating rankings,getting eliminators,putting pressure on sanctioning bodies for various reasons etc etc and its even more prevalent with this USA v UK power struggle that is going on now in the Heavyweight division .

Nobody pays attention to the rankings of governing bodies anymore Mick they are just a tool to manoeuvre fighters into positions....the Ibf currently have Joshua number 6,Fury number 7........and Kabayel,Kownacki and Helenius numbers 3,4 and 5 ?.....most people use Boxrec as a general guide to position and Scwarz was ranked 56 !!

Theres no way of dressing it up any different to what it is.....Bob Arum cannot make Fury fight certain opponents just because he,s bankrolling him the decision ultimately comes down to the fighter.....its a sad time in the sport where the " 0 " is everything,Joshua got no credit for fighting the calibre of opponents that he did and from a sporting perspective probably should do.....particularly when you have a guy like Fury serving up these boring one sided exhibition bouts to small low level audiences and yet maintaining a high ranking.

1 hour ago, gnasher16 said:

Nobody pays attention to the rankings of governing bodies anymore Mick they are just a tool to manoeuvre fighters into positions....the Ibf currently have Joshua number 6,Fury number 7........and Kabayel,Kownacki and Helenius numbers 3,4 and 5 ?.....most people use Boxrec as a general guide to position and Scwarz was ranked 56 !!

Theres no way of dressing it up any different to what it is.....Bob Arum cannot make Fury fight certain opponents just because he,s bankrolling him the decision ultimately comes down to the fighter.....its a sad time in the sport where the " 0 " is everything,Joshua got no credit for fighting the calibre of opponents that he did and from a sporting perspective probably should do.....particularly when you have a guy like Fury serving up these boring one sided exhibition bouts to small low level audiences and yet maintaining a high ranking.

Gnash there all at it, Hearn Arum Haymon. Whyte refused to fight the WBC no3 ranked Ortiz for the mandatory slot and instead fights the WBC no 10 ranked Rivas and Hearn still manages to wangle it so its for the mandatory slot ? Far too much emphasis on losing the “0” in todays boxing and boxing is worse for it. The 70s where arguably the greatest era at Heavyweight and they all fought and lost to each other and also more than once. Thats part of what made the 70s era so great, you had the top fighters all fighting each other and in most cases again more than once . As a fan if the Ruiz v Joshua winner is to fight the Wilder v Fury winner then the current Heavyweight scene can redeem itself imo but if not and it just carries on as it is with the Promoters/top fighters avoiding each other then fans will lose interest and the Heavyweight scene will be a bigger joke than it is now .

Edited by MickC
3 minutes ago, MickC said:

Far too much emphasis on losing the “0” in todays boxing and boxing is worse for it. The 70s where arguably the greatest era at Heavyweight and they all fought and lost to each other and also more than once. Thats part of what made the 70s era so great, you had the top fighters all fighting each other and in most cases again more than once . As a fan if the Ruiz v Joshua winner is to fight the Wilder v Fury winner then the current Heavyweight scene can redeem itself imo but if not and it just carries on as it is with the Promoters/top fighters avoiding each other then fans will lose interest and the Heavyweight scene will be a bigger joke than it is now .

Today has the potential to be one of the better eras of boxing of HW boxing if only they fought each other. You look at the 30's, 70's and the 90's, the best nearly always fought the best. 

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Jobi said:

Today has the potential to be one of the better eras of boxing of HW boxing if only they fought each other. You look at the 30's, 70's and the 90's, the best nearly always fought the best. 

This problem in boxing with the top fights not being made is only at Heavyweight, most of the other divisions have had like the WBSS tournaments to see who is actually the best in there division. Fighters like Ward SMW  Usyk Cruiser and Smith SMW and the current one is at Bantamweight with Inoue and Donaire in the final (iirc). A WBSS tournament at heavyweight would certainly sort it all out .

Edited by MickC
1 minute ago, MickC said:

This problem in boxing with the top fights not being made is only at Heavyweight, most of the other divisions have had like the WBSS tournaments to see who is actually the best in there division. Fighters like Ward SMW  Usyk Cruiser and Smith SMW and the current one is at Bantamweight with Inoue and Rodriguez in the final. A WBSS tournament at heavyweight would certainly sort it all out .

Yeah they are literally too big for their own boots, Usyk wants the big fights that I do know. 

Edited by Jobi
1 hour ago, maxhardcore said:

Always a knowledgable well balanced post. 

yeh  mick  puts good posts up, i got feeling  Aj going to KO Ruiz , both will be up for this fight .Ruiz will try to take Aj out early i think,  he got fast hands  and suppose  at 18-19 st  going to hurt like it did in that fight, but Aj wasn't  KO he gave up , ran out of ideas , thinking he power would take him through . it may have been good wake up call for him, either  box better , box of his long jab, and not rush in like he did , take his power shots when he can. but like been said on here before , will he still want to do it made loads of money  he young he might not want it anymore  .?  Ruiz will deff want it  be interesting  (what) Aj turns up for the fight .? if they still fight like mick said .

On 05/08/2019 at 22:24, MickC said:

This problem in boxing with the top fights not being made is only at Heavyweight, most of the other divisions have had like the WBSS tournaments to see who is actually the best in there division. Fighters like Ward SMW  Usyk Cruiser and Smith SMW and the current one is at Bantamweight with Inoue and Donaire in the final (iirc). A WBSS tournament at heavyweight would certainly sort it all out .

That inoue looks rather special. Watched his championship fights the other night ?

Mick, do you remember the middleweight WBSS with hopkins, trinidad, joppy and holmes? Fabulous

Edited by shaaark
  • Like 1
21 hours ago, MickC said:

Gnash there all at it, Hearn Arum Haymon. Whyte refused to fight the WBC no3 ranked Ortiz for the mandatory slot and instead fights the WBC no 10 ranked Rivas and Hearn still manages to wangle it so its for the mandatory slot ? Far too much emphasis on losing the “0” in todays boxing and boxing is worse for it. The 70s where arguably the greatest era at Heavyweight and they all fought and lost to each other and also more than once. Thats part of what made the 70s era so great, you had the top fighters all fighting each other and in most cases again more than once . As a fan if the Ruiz v Joshua winner is to fight the Wilder v Fury winner then the current Heavyweight scene can redeem itself imo but if not and it just carries on as it is with the Promoters/top fighters avoiding each other then fans will lose interest and the Heavyweight scene will be a bigger joke than it is now .

You say that Mick but fighters have to earn their ranking they cant rely on a fight they had years previously.......Buster Douglas cant suddenly pitch up in the top 5 because he beat Mike Tyson.......Fury has not beaten a top 10 fighter in 5 years....and has only ever beaten 1 top 10 fighter in his entire career !!.....you sound like a proper boxing fan Mick yet you have clearly fallen into the trap set by managers/promoters these days where they want fans to pick sides.... be it a fighter,a tv channel or a governing body.

The sport is no more corrupt than it ever was its just corrupt from a different angle....in years past it was corrupt from the outside in where the mafia and suchlike had control of fighters/managers and  betting etc....today its corrupt by the governing bodies who run the sport...take this whole Dillian Whyte caper,im told the test was taken 30 days previous yet the actual testing of the sample was delayed,during which time a legal supplement that Dillian was already taking was put on the banned list....so between taking the test and testing the test a substance had been banned which is why it was returned a failed test.....it seems Dillian proved this at a hearing and was therefore cleared to fight.....the same happened to Povetkin when they added Meldonium to the list after testing him.......my guess would be that after 600 days keeping him away from Wilder it was decided to tarnish a fighter who has already been banned once before.....i might be wrong but it would be indicative of the type of corruption from the inside out the sport now faces.

• Like 5
19 minutes ago, gnasher16 said:

You say that Mick but fighters have to earn their ranking they cant rely on a fight they had years previously.......Buster Douglas cant suddenly pitch up in the top 5 because he beat Mike Tyson.......Fury has not beaten a top 10 fighter in 5 years....and has only ever beaten 1 top 10 fighter in his entire career !!.....you sound like a proper boxing fan Mick yet you have clearly fallen into the trap set by managers/promoters these days where they want fans to pick sides.... be it a fighter,a tv channel or a governing body.

The sport is no more corrupt than it ever was its just corrupt from a different angle....in years past it was corrupt from the outside in where the mafia and suchlike had control of fighters/managers and  betting etc....today its corrupt by the governing bodies who run the sport...take this whole Dillian Whyte caper,im told the test was taken 30 days previous yet the actual testing of the sample was delayed,during which time a legal supplement that Dillian was already taking was put on the banned list....so between taking the test and testing the test a substance had been banned which is why it was returned a failed test.....it seems Dillian proved this at a hearing and was therefore cleared to fight.....the same happened to Povetkin when they added Meldonium to the list after testing him.......my guess would be that after 600 days keeping him away from Wilder it was decided to tarnish a fighter who has already been banned once before.....i might be wrong but it would be indicative of the type of corruption from the inside out the sport now faces.

You talking about Whyte's previous ban? It's a professional fighters duty to be vigilant towards any supplements on the market. Yes I am bashing Whyte quite a bit but these things need clamping down on, the same goes for Tyson Fury and his Wild Boar bullshit, nice depression story mind to take the heat off his cheating. 

10 minutes ago, Jobi said:

You talking about Whyte's previous ban? It's a professional fighters duty to be vigilant towards any supplements on the market. Yes I am bashing Whyte quite a bit but these things need clamping down on, the same goes for Tyson Fury and his Wild Boar bullshit, nice depression story mind to take the heat off his cheating. 

If a fighter takes a LEGAL substance on January 1st

Then gets tested on January 10th

The legal substance that was taken then gets put on the BANNED substance list on January 17th

And the sample then gets tested on January 31st and comes back as a failed test............vigilant or not its beyond a fighters control...and most would say an unfair process at best....a corrupt process at worst.

10 minutes ago, gnasher16 said:

If a fighter takes a LEGAL substance on January 1st

Then gets tested on January 10th

The legal substance that was taken then gets put on the BANNED substance list on January 17th

And the sample then gets tested on January 31st and comes back as a failed test............vigilant or not its beyond a fighters control...and most would say an unfair process at best....a corrupt process at worst.

I think your timescale is off there fella, i think the supplement or one of the ingredients in the supplement had been banned for a while, in fact athletes had been banned prior to Whyte for  taking it. 

Like I said you can't give those excuses anymore, I believe with VADA and possibly UKAD you can speak with someone over the phone and ask about any supplements you are looking to use and they will confirm wether it's safe or not. 

Regarding PED's, I'm of the belief either clamp down on it hard or have a free for all. If fighters are willing to fcuk themselves up to win a fight then let them crack on as most do a anyway. 

Edited by Jobi

What excuse ?

If a substance is legal before testing....but becomes  illegal after testing....what is an athlete to do ?

I agree we are not far away from peds being given the green light.....its just how its done from a moralistic point.

3 minutes ago, gnasher16 said:

What excuse ?

If a substance is legal before testing....but becomes  illegal after testing....what is an athlete to do ?

I agree we are not far away from peds being given the green light.....its just how its done from a moralistic point.

It wasn't legal when he purchased it and took it though, either one ingredient had been banned or the supplement. Like I said athletes before had been banned for taking it. The gear has killed a few folk over the years, think it's called Jack3d. 

Fcuk morals when someone is trying to punch your brains in. We don't need this half assed 365 rubbish that's just a marketing scheme. Either test them hard and often or don't do it at all. I wanna see 400lb monsters knocking each other in to the back row. ??

Edited by Jobi
13 minutes ago, Jobi said:

It wasn't legal when he purchased it and took it though, either one ingredient had been banned or the supplement. Like I said athletes before had been banned for taking it. The gear has killed a few folk over the years, think it's called Jack3d. 

Are you aware of how many legal supplements there are available that contain performance enhancing drugs ?

These are the problems sport is going to run into all the time that labs are light years ahead of testers.....and the reason labs are light years ahead of testers is because Canelo gets paid more to put his gumshield in for 3 minutes than Wada's annual testing budget.