Boxing At The Weekend...

13 minutes ago, shaaark said:

What's your opinion of this 'bridgerweight' division that's being bandied about, gnash?

Makes sense to me, but can't see too many boxers going for it, whilst the biggest money is still at heavyweight.  

I've heard it described as 'division two'  but tbh I don't know that much about it .?

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The THL fight club

Joshua really is just a straight acting kid no frills and tassles he doesnt fall into all the silly stuff that is popular with fighters these days he has the mindset that if he is good enough he will

f****n embarrassing the whole event !....now we're all going to have to listen to these mma divs saying their fighters can hang with pro boxers well played Fury you big melt ! And we're supposed

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, kanny said:

I've heard it described as 'division two'  don't know that much about it though ?

Only read a little bit about it, to be honest.  It does make sense, from a boxing point of view, as in no other weight division, apart from heavyweight, can you outweigh your oponent by 2, 3, 4 STONE, or more, let alone pounds.  

It's baffled me for years, how they've let these weight discrepancies happen!!  ?

16 minutes ago, Greb147 said:

I think it's a terrible idea tbh, Usyk has just shown what magic a great smaller man can produce. 

Size is and always has been an advantage in the HW division, but the beauty of it is that it can be overcome. 

Yeah, I sort of agree there, greb, but 221 lb to 240 lb isn't a great deal, and there wasn't actually that much size difference between them.

What I really mean is the 2 1/2, 3 1/2 and 4 1/2 stone differences.

And let's not forget, usyck is exceptional.  ?

• Like 1
1 minute ago, shaaark said:

Yeah, I sort of agree there, greb, but 221 lb to 240 lb isn't a great deal, and there wasn't actually that much size difference between them.

What I really mean is the 2 1/2, 3 1/2 and 4 1/2 stone differences.

And let's not forget, usyck is exceptional.  ?

But it's been the same throughout history mate, that's one of the beauties of the division IMO. 

45 minutes ago, shaaark said:

What's your opinion of this 'bridgerweight' division that's being bandied about, gnash?

Makes sense to me, but can't see too many boxers going for it, whilst the biggest money is still at heavyweight.  

Ive said for years mate they should simply bring in a Super Heavyweight division like there is in amateur boxing.....i actually like the Ufc divisions i think they are spaced well and in proportion but theres no doubt boxing has to get with the times and evolution of human size if its not to turn serious sport into a circus.....i think theres currently 17 weight divisions but around 8 of them are featherweight and below where the spacings are as little as 3 and 4 lb.

The gap between light heavy and cruiserweight where the limit s 200 lb is 25 lb.......so why not have say a 35 lb gap between heavyweight and super heavyweight with a 265 lb limit similar to the Ufc......lets see some of these human giants have to make weight and see if they are the same fighters !!

Without disrespecting Fury,at 6 ft 2 and 200 lb he would not win a British title and that has to mean something in a sport based on fairness.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
29 minutes ago, Greb147 said:

But it's been the same throughout history mate, that's one of the beauties of the division IMO. 

I slightly disagree mate,not on this scale it hasnt......do you remember watching World of Sport on a Saturday and seeing Big Daddy or Giant Haystacks " competing " against much smaller but far superior wrestlers......embarrassing to watch wasnt it......ok its an exaggerated example but the theory is the same.....the ethics of sport has to come first in my opinion.

Edited by gnasher16
12 minutes ago, Greb147 said:

Do you think Usyk would beat Fury, I know Fury would give him 6in in height, and near 4 stone weight. But Usyk can deff box, great agility, and at 6 ft 3in and 16 St, he deff big enough to Ko fury. I think Fury could win, but it be Fury hardest fight to date. I think Aj will loose in the rematch, Fury will beat White, and then it Usyk v Fury for the 4 belts what do the think Gnash Usyk v fury? 

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, bird said:

Do you think Usyk would beat Fury, I know Fury would give him 6in in height, and near 4 stone weight. But Usyk can deff box, great agility, and at 6 ft 3in and 16 St, he deff big enough to Ko fury. I think Fury could win, but it be Fury hardest fight to date. I think Aj will loose in the rematch, Fury will beat White, and then it Usyk v Fury for the 4 belts what do the think Gnash Usyk v fury? 

I think he's got a great chance of beating Fury mate, he's a special fighter. 

11 minutes ago, gnasher16 said:

Ive said for years mate they should simply bring in a Super Heavyweight division like there is in amateur boxing.....i actually like the Ufc divisions i think they are spaced well and in proportion but theres no doubt boxing has to get with the times and evolution of human size if its not to turn serious sport into a circus.....i think theres currently 17 weight divisions but around 8 of them are featherweight and below where the spacings are as little as 3 and 4 lb.

The gap between light heavy and cruiserweight where the limit s 200 lb is 25 lb.......so why not have say a 35 lb gap between heavyweight and super heavyweight with a 265 lb limit similar to the Ufc......lets see some of these human giants have to make weight and see if they are the same fighters !!

Without disrespecting Fury,at 6 ft 2 and 200 lb he would not win a British title and that has to mean something in a sport based on fairness.

Excellent reply, and more or less what I was getting at.  ?

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Greb147 said:

I think he's got a great chance of beating Fury mate, he's a special fighter. 

look at his fight v chisora and then look how fury outboxed chisora and made him quit 

theres some shite spouted on here special fighter aj is was shit lol that win doednt make usyk unbeatable 

Edited by mC HULL
Just now, mC HULL said:

look at his fight v chisora and then look how fury outboxed chisora and made him quit 

theres some shite spouted on here special fighter aj is was shit lol

There's just no getting through to you mate. 

Just because Fury beat Chisora easier doesn't mean Fury will beat Usyk. 

Boxing has never worked like that. 

Where i think boxing has to be careful is legitimate heavyweight greats like Joe Frazier or Marciano would probably have had little chance had Tyson Fury been around in their era......and that is an utterly preposterous thought !!!