Boxing At The Weekend...

• Replies 8.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The THL fight club

Just got back from my lads first fight.  Think I was more nervous than him!

f****n embarrassing the whole event !....now we're all going to have to listen to these mma divs saying their fighters can hang with pro boxers well played Fury you big melt ! And we're supposed

Posted Images

Because size & strength has nothing to do with holding a shot , hence the old saying "you cant put muscle on the chin" 

You can do certain exercises to help,like tyson with his neck excercises, and obviously stronger base youve got in your legs will help,but its all futile tell the truth, its like trying to teach "heart" , you cant,youve either got it or you havent, same with being able to take a shot,you either can or you cant 

Ive had the discussion many times over the years it comes down to torque versus horse power for me.....Joshua has lots of horse power ( explosiveness ).....but very little torque ( core strength )......comparing to someone like Joe Joyce will give the best example....he is the opposite Joyce has bundles of torque ( raw come forward,hard to to hurt type strength )....but very little explosive power......Joshuas gyms lifts are not particularly impressive for a big muscular guy as he just doesnt have the skeletal strength,joint strength....thin wrists,thin ankles etc but has massive fast twitch/explosive muscular development.....i myself had no real explosive power as a fighter but had a granite chin through a strong skeletal base.....i slightly disagree with the comparison to heart i dont think you can compare the purely physical impact of punch resistance to mental traits.....heart is all about how much you can put your mind into the pain and suffering,even a physically weak person can have plenty of heart.......Joshua is a long lean specimen,you look through history fighters of that type like Hearns or even today with Wilder their punch resistance isnt great but their explosive output is massive.....im not saying its like that for all fighters but i do think theres a pattern and decent reasoning behind the theory.

Edited by gnasher16
  • Like 4

I can remember an old tale that Marvin Hagler had a temporalis much thicker than the average man which may have contributed towards him having amazing punch resistance. 

I'm guessing there's some unknown physiological explanation that governs wether someone can hold a shot or not. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, gnasher16 said:

Ive had the discussion many times over the years it comes down to torque versus horse power for me.....Joshua has lots of horse power ( explosiveness ).....but very little torque ( core strength )......comparing to someone like Joe Joyce will give the best example....he is the opposite Joyce has bundles of torque ( raw come forward,hard to to hurt type strength )....but very little explosive power......Joshuas gyms lifts are not particularly impressive for a big muscular guy as he just doesnt have the skeletal strength,joint strength....thin wrists,thin ankles etc but has massive fast twitch/explosive muscular development.....i myself had no real explosive power as a fighter but had a granite chin through a strong skeletal base.....i slightly disagree with the comparison to heart i dont think you can compare the purely physical impact of punch resistance to mental traits.....heart is all about how much you can put your mind into the pain and suffering,even a physically weak person can have plenty of heart.......Joshua is a long lean specimen,you look through history fighters of that type like Hearns or even today with Wilder their punch resistance isnt great but their explosive output is massive.....im not saying its like that for all fighters but i do think theres a pattern and decent reasoning behind the theory.

Agree in the difference between raw power in joshua and joyce,and with the gym lifts and his joints etc,its an injury ive actually seen in many people over the years,f****d joints in big  lumps who have worked up to whatever size they are,their natural base and joint strength just gives out on them 

I was a bit vague i suppose at first ill try and explain a bit better, obviously there is genetic differences that when compared you can say man A.) Is more likely to be able to ride a shot than man B.) ,and I didnt really think of that at first to be honest but the reasoning behind that pattern i would not disagree with, and when i say "you can either hold a shot or you cant" i guess youve filled in the reasons why some can & some cant, although it is true like greb has mentioned and yourself that the make up of a man could have a lot to do with punch resistance, i mean your genetics have a lot to answer for for many things in life ,and yeah heart is more being able to stick the discomfort and ride it out when things get rough, if you cant last the punishment in the first place and get put out, heart becomes obsolete dosnt it 

Coming away from boxing its like training/gym in general,some programs will be the wrong way to go for someone as it doesnt suit their natural make up at all 

Edited by Billy b
37 minutes ago, Billy b said:

Agree in the difference between raw power in joshua and joyce,and with the gym lifts and his joints etc,its an injury ive actually seen in many people over the years,f****d joints in big  lumps who have worked up to whatever size they are,their natural base and joint strength just gives out on them 

I was a bit vague i suppose at first ill try and explain a bit better, obviously there is genetic differences that when compared you can say man A.) Is more likely to be able to ride a shot than man B.) ,and I didnt really think of that at first to be honest but the reasoning behind that pattern i would not disagree with, and when i say "you can either hold a shot or you cant" i guess youve filled in the reasons why some can & some cant, although it is true like greb has mentioned and yourself that the make up of a man could have a lot to do with punch resistance, i mean your genetics have a lot to answer for for many things in life ,and yeah heart is more being able to stick the discomfort and ride it out when things get rough, if you cant last the punishment in the first place and get put out, heart becomes obsolete dosnt it 

Coming away from boxing its like training/gym in general,some programs will be the wrong way to go for someone as it doesnt suit their natural make up at all 

Good post that mate a lot of truth in those points.....personally i think its misleading when you hear folk say how does he " hold a punch ".....i think theres so much more to it than how a man can withstand the impact of a punch on the chin.....again i was never the most powerful puncher in the world but ive always maintained,give me a free shot at a man and nobody in the world will absorb it...but thats a free shot....nobody gets a free shot theres always movement involved and so for me guys like Joshua or to use Hearns again as a good example usually get caught when unleashing their own shots and the actual force and impact of a punch like that is doubled.....Joshua throws a lot of haymakers that he is totally committed to,so to get caught trading up like that involves double the impact of for example a straight right when your feet are planted,chin down etc....and then of course you have fighters who get caught cold and appear chinny early on but then warm into the fight and their resistance go's up,Amir Khan for instance in a few fights.....its an interesting topic anyway :thumbs:

Edited by gnasher16
  • Like 1
33 minutes ago, gnasher16 said:

Good post that mate a lot of truth in those points.....personally i think its misleading when you hear folk say how does he " hold a punch ".....i think theres so much more to it than how a man can withstand the impact of a punch on the chin.....again i was never the most powerful puncher in the world but ive always maintained,give me a free shot at a man and nobody in the world will absorb it...but thats a free shot....nobody gets a free shot theres always movement involved and so for me guys like Joshua or to use Hearns again as a good example usually get caught when unleashing their own shots and the actual force and impact of a punch like that is doubled.....Joshua throws a lot of haymakers that he is totally committed to,so to get caught trading up like that involves double the impact of for example a straight right when your feet are planted,chin down etc....and then of course you have fighters who get caught cold and appear chinny early on but then warm into the fight and their resistance go's up,Amir Khan for instance in a few fights.....its an interesting topic anyway :thumbs:

And i think that is why you can always tell the difference between a man who is at his natural stance,being big,and someone who has worked their way up to it

Yeah with movement you have to take into account so many things and some of them things aid you or are your undoing,for example talking about joshua taking one when hes throwing one,you could liken that to two cars crashing couldlnt you,it makes the impact worse,as hes committing to his own shot with his body behind it but walking onto a clean shot making the impact of that shot much worse 

Yeah true with khan,it is a very interesting topic 

Ive recently been reading a bit more into anatomy and things like that in general,had one of them books a while back that had a really detailed diagram of the anatomy and what is happening while performing certain movements and its such a deep subject,there really is so much more to training & fitness than just following a popular program,certain things just wont cut the mustard for your dimensions and in the long run will hinder not help you 

How do you guys rate Fury in terms of punch resistance? I've seem him knocked over a few times but he has always recovered. Is he chinny and just been lucky that he hasn't been caught with a really concussive punch or does he have a problem absorbing punches?

18 minutes ago, jukel123 said:

How do you guys rate Fury in terms of punch resistance? I've seem him knocked over a few times but he has always recovered. Is he chinny and just been lucky that he hasn't been caught with a really concussive punch or does he have a problem absorbing punches?

I think Fury has taken some decent shots in his career,he dealt with a few big'uns from Wlad, and of course we've seen Cunningham put Fury down,more of a flash knockdown though more than anything, caught with a shot he didnt see coming,which has put lesser men out of the fight,read into that what you will 

I think the Wilder fight was very interesting,he was down and down badly but not out of it,I mean the last Knockdown he came back at wilder like he had had a freshen up! 

I think tyson has some genetic benefits in there somewhere as he doesnt seem to have that old boxing cliche of "staying hit", some fighters get hit,get back up but its literally the beginning of the end for them,and only a matter of time before its good night,Tyson seems to have excellent recovery skills

• Like 5

Looking forward to the Eubank fight tonight,saw them weigh in yesterday as a local lad Harvey Horn is on the undercard....seeing Eubank on the scales it dawned on me what a superb physical specimen he is and with his background what a disappointment his career has been so far.....i remember watching him spar John Ryder years ago and having a bet with someone that he will go his whole career without ever getting knocked out or stopped i remember thinking at the time ive rarely seen a chin like that some of the shots he was stopping and just brushing them off......badly handled,wasted talent.....part of me would still like to see him win a world title one day but wonder if he,s missed the boat now.

• Like 4
58 minutes ago, gnasher16 said:

Looking forward to the Eubank fight tonight,saw them weigh in yesterday as a local lad Harvey Horn is on the undercard....seeing Eubank on the scales it dawned on me what a superb physical specimen he is and with his background what a disappointment his career has been so far.....i remember watching him spar John Ryder years ago and having a bet with someone that he will go his whole career without ever getting knocked out or stopped i remember thinking at the time ive rarely seen a chin like that some of the shots he was stopping and just brushing them off......badly handled,wasted talent.....part of me would still like to see him win a world title one day but wonder if he,s missed the boat now.

Oh yeah eubank-muratov tonight isnt it

Looking forward to seeing riakporhe box aswell 

Jnr is one of those fighters that what he lacks in technical ability he more than makes up for with sheer workrate & tenacity,the volume of his work is incredible

He is an exciting watch at times,i agree he has been badly handled but i dont think he will ever do much meaningful at the top level simply because he is always found lacking when he faces someone with great boxing but he will give it a f*****g good go getting to where he wants,very fit strong and exciting just doesnt have the skill at times when it matters most imo but he is a tough nights work hes coming at you all night long