Boxing At The Weekend...

29 minutes ago, gnasher16 said:

Are you aware of how many legal supplements there are available that contain performance enhancing drugs ?

These are the problems sport is going to run into all the time that labs are light years ahead of testers.....and the reason labs are light years ahead of testers is because Canelo gets paid more to put his gumshield in for 3 minutes than Wada's annual testing budget.

Yes which makes it all the more vital to be extra vigilant when using supplements, any supplement one takes should be checked to see if it's safe. 

And yes I agree about that but the way it is is not good enough for the sport. 

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The THL fight club

Joshua really is just a straight acting kid no frills and tassles he doesnt fall into all the silly stuff that is popular with fighters these days he has the mindset that if he is good enough he will

f****n embarrassing the whole event !....now we're all going to have to listen to these mma divs saying their fighters can hang with pro boxers well played Fury you big melt ! And we're supposed

Posted Images

Theres a lot more to it than checking supplements,for as long as the science of testing is behind the science of producing then the whole methodology of what is trying to be achieved will be in a mess.....a clean supplement is only clean until an authority finds out how effective it is for doping,which at the speed labs are coming up with new substances can be as little as weeks.

A positive test for metabolites is not quantitative but qualitative so the timing of the trace leaving the body is what has always been important.....yet the reality is the longer a person is using anabolic agents the excretion time of anything endogenous is greatly reduced meaning that the timing of the parent drug can be ingested that much later....in other words the more you use the less likely you are to be caught !.....we are virtually at the stage now where the metabolites of the parent drug is not the end product and is itself being broken down into something they dont even recognise as illegal before its excreted from the body,hence if a lab throws up new info an athlete can get popped for a substance that wasnt illegal when he took the supplement.......dont blame the player blame the game,if you like.

Edited by gnasher16
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Jobi said:

AJ vs Ruiz set for Saudi Arabia in December, wtf is that all about like? 

It's all about gullible as f**k multi millionairs being taken for a ride and believing the hype, and paying handsomely for tickets for it all.

Just the way I feel about the heavyweight division at the moment. I can't remember it ever being this bad. You've got SHIT fighters ducking, demanding fortunes to fight shit opponents etc etc. I know a bit of skullduggery has always gone on in boxing, but nowhere like what it is now, especially the heavyweights. Does anyone actually think otto wallin is even a remotely half decent opponent for fury, same as that schwarz? 30 and 40 odd in the rankings  suddenly bumped up to 2 or 3 so it looks as though they 'might' be a challenge?! What a f***ing complete joke it's all turned into, promoters practically running these organisations!!

It's all leaving a very sour taste in my mouth

On 6 August 2019 at 19:28, gnasher16 said:

You say that Mick but fighters have to earn their ranking they cant rely on a fight they had years previously.......Buster Douglas cant suddenly pitch up in the top 5 because he beat Mike Tyson.......Fury has not beaten a top 10 fighter in 5 years....and has only ever beaten 1 top 10 fighter in his entire career !!.....you sound like a proper boxing fan Mick yet you have clearly fallen into the trap set by managers/promoters these days where they want fans to pick sides.... be it a fighter,a tv channel or a governing body.

The sport is no more corrupt than it ever was its just corrupt from a different angle....in years past it was corrupt from the outside in where the mafia and suchlike had control of fighters/managers and  betting etc....today its corrupt by the governing bodies who run the sport...take this whole Dillian Whyte caper,im told the test was taken 30 days previous yet the actual testing of the sample was delayed,during which time a legal supplement that Dillian was already taking was put on the banned list....so between taking the test and testing the test a substance had been banned which is why it was returned a failed test.....it seems Dillian proved this at a hearing and was therefore cleared to fight.....the same happened to Povetkin when they added Meldonium to the list after testing him.......my guess would be that after 600 days keeping him away from Wilder it was decided to tarnish a fighter who has already been banned once before.....i might be wrong but it would be indicative of the type of corruption from the inside out the sport now faces.

Gnash I wouldn't say I've fell into any trap I'm just like the rest of the boxing fans and want to see the best fight the best and not interested in taking sides I'd just like to see the fights to get an undisputed champion. Your right about the sport being more corrupt than ever with governing bodies and promoters,just look at some of the strokes that Hearn has pulled but it done a remarkable job in getting Joshua to global stardom. Be nice to see what comes out of this Whyte situation and this failed test with Hauser reporting it as Dianabol metabolites which where found which has been on the banned list for years,if it is indeed a fail for something recently banned then Whyte had done nothing wrong in my eyes. As for the 600 days keeping Whyte away from Wilder well that is Whytes fault entirely as he refused the eliminator with Ortiz (Brezeale was the mandatory and had to wait a good while for his shot) and it's not the only eliminator that Whyte has refused. My thoughts are that America has always dominated Heavyweight boxing but after the Klitschko era when Fury dethroned Wlad and then Joshua took over picking the three belts ups it has started an America v Britain war now over who is going to rule the division with the Americans having the upper hand at the moment with all the belts being held by two American fighters. Haymon has pulled strokes for Wilder and Hearn has pulled strokes for Joshua. That is why I mentioned in a earlier post that there all at it and all as bad as each other. Who knows what comes next at Heavyweight.

On 6 August 2019 at 12:07, shaaark said:

That inoue looks rather special. Watched his championship fights the other night ?

Mick, do you remember the middleweight WBSS with hopkins, trinidad, joppy and holmes? Fabulous

I can remember the fights mate,sorry not been on as much lately (wifi is crap out here and data used up quickly) I didn't know it was a WBSS I just thought it was Hopkins unifying the division. Never a fan of Hopkins though he did achieve a lot and even less of a fan in his later career, he was clearly on the juice. A lot of his later fights you only got the fight with him if there was no testing,he was so confident about it he started calling himself the Alien as he wasn't human because he was getting better in his later years,yeah right. Pavlek pulled him numerous times In front of the cameras and Hopkins point blank refused to be tested. Wifi is a nightmare out here . 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, MickC said:

I can remember the fights mate,sorry not been on as much lately (wifi is crap out here and data used up quickly) I didn't know it was a WBSS I just thought it was Hopkins unifying the division. Never a fan of Hopkins though he did achieve a lot and even less of a fan in his later career, he was clearly on the juice. A lot of his later fights you only got the fight with him if there was no testing,he was so confident about it he started calling himself the Alien as he wasn't human because he was getting better in his later years,yeah right. Pavlek pulled him numerous times In front of the cameras and Hopkins point blank refused to be tested. Wifi is a nightmare out here . 

Mick the thing is though most of his opponents were likely on the juice as well, it's a dog eat dog business. 

11 minutes ago, Jobi said:

Mick the thing is though most of his opponents were likely on the juice as well, it's a dog eat dog business. 

Calzaghe wasn't on f**k all, and when he got dropped, it was by the inside of hopkins' forearm straight across the face. Since when was that a legal scoring blow? Lol.

Not implying that you thought it was, but he took an 8 count for it lol ?

Edited by shaaark
3 minutes ago, shaaark said:

Calzaghe wasn't on f**k all, and when he got dropped, it was by the inside of hopkins' forearm straight across the face. Since when was that a legal scoring blow? Lol.

Not implying that you thought it was, but he took an 8 count for it lol ?

Joe doesn't scream out PED cheat but his cocaine habit after he retired does make you wonder wether he would consider it. I think he struggled like mad against Hopkins myself. 

I actually thought that Hopkins had beat him,but Calzaghe got the win. The white boy comment did Hopkin no favours,ironic as it was a white boy who knocked him out the ring and that's how his career ended in his last fight.Calzaghe was never even thought of as a cheat and the cocaine thing was when his career had finished and it's a recreational drug tbf not a ped as such . 

Edited by MickC

Why would you want to fight in Saudi Arabia over fighting in the States, is it really going to be that much more money. The conspiracy theorist in me thinks it may be something to do with AJ's vitamin supply. I don't think over the pond he can get away with it so easily. 

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, Jobi said:

Joe doesn't scream out PED cheat but his cocaine habit after he retired does make you wonder wether he would consider it. I think he struggled like mad against Hopkins myself. 

22 minutes ago, MickC said:

I actually thought that Hopkins had beat him,but Calzaghe got the win. The white boy comment did Hopkin no favours,ironic as it was a white boy who knocked him out the ring and that's how his career ended in his last fight.Calzaghe was never even thought of as a cheat and the cocaine thing was when his career had finished and it's a recreational drug tbf not a ped as such . 

He lives up the road from me. Went to school with my ex mrs. I've been to the gym, he took no drugs during his career

1 hour ago, Jobi said:

Why would you want to fight in Saudi Arabia over fighting in the States, is it really going to be that much more money. The conspiracy theorist in me thinks it may be something to do with AJ's vitamin supply. I don't think over the pond he can get away with it so easily. 

Money Jobi mate that's the reason why if it's over there and also it' will be seen as  neutral and both fighters must have agreed to it to get the rematch made ! A heavyweight title fight over there is almost a licence to print money. Khan got over 7 million just for fighting Billy Dib.  Don't worry about testing Hearn and Haymon will make sure that there respective opponents are well drug tested and any parties notified of any tue usage id expect. Both Hearn and Haymon are shrewd businessmen and there is a lot of money to be made for the winner of this fight . 

Edited by MickC
  • Like 2
13 hours ago, MickC said:

Gnash I wouldn't say I've fell into any trap I'm just like the rest of the boxing fans and want to see the best fight the best and not interested in taking sides I'd just like to see the fights to get an undisputed champion. Your right about the sport being more corrupt than ever with governing bodies and promoters,just look at some of the strokes that Hearn has pulled but it done a remarkable job in getting Joshua to global stardom. Be nice to see what comes out of this Whyte situation and this failed test with Hauser reporting it as Dianabol metabolites which where found which has been on the banned list for years,if it is indeed a fail for something recently banned then Whyte had done nothing wrong in my eyes. As for the 600 days keeping Whyte away from Wilder well that is Whytes fault entirely as he refused the eliminator with Ortiz (Brezeale was the mandatory and had to wait a good while for his shot) and it's not the only eliminator that Whyte has refused. My thoughts are that America has always dominated Heavyweight boxing but after the Klitschko era when Fury dethroned Wlad and then Joshua took over picking the three belts ups it has started an America v Britain war now over who is going to rule the division with the Americans having the upper hand at the moment with all the belts being held by two American fighters. Haymon has pulled strokes for Wilder and Hearn has pulled strokes for Joshua. That is why I mentioned in a earlier post that there all at it and all as bad as each other. Who knows what comes next at Heavyweight.

I agree to a point but ultimately the ring is the proving ground for fighters and as fans or indeed just normal fair human beings nobody likes to see fighters get away with snidey slippery conduct,which for me Fury is....whether you are a Joshua or Whyte fan doesnt matter you have to respect the fact they are willing to have tough fights and are not simply taking pointless nothing fights waiting for the big one to come along....Fury having these joke fights is simply wrong.....Usyk ( who i think could do some damage as a heavyweight ) being put straight in as a number 1 contender having never had a fight at heavyweight is simply wrong.

For all the politics and boring uninteresting drivel that surrounds heavyweight boxing there is a debt of honour to the sport and the sportsmen that have gone before them to engage in combat to the highest level possible and establish a notable name in the era to take forward...otherwise you risk being the generation to destroy the very essence of what sport is about and beyond money this is the precarious position the powers of the sport currently face.

• Like 4