Boxing At The Weekend...

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The THL fight club

Joshua really is just a straight acting kid no frills and tassles he doesnt fall into all the silly stuff that is popular with fighters these days he has the mindset that if he is good enough he will

f****n embarrassing the whole event !....now we're all going to have to listen to these mma divs saying their fighters can hang with pro boxers well played Fury you big melt ! And we're supposed

Posted Images

On 21/07/2019 at 21:18, MickC said:

Gnash it's good to see Whyte win and he is improving which is nice to see but I disagree with him being a breath of fresh air as his predicament is one of his own doing due to the opportunitys he has turned down and did he not also refuse the Joshua fight because he said he was worth more ? As for media whore he's as bad as any of them,have you seen how many videos he has up on social media etc ? Quite a few of them complaining about how long he has been waiting for a WBC Title shot yet it was he himself who refused well over a year ago to fight Ortiz for the WBC mandatory position,refused to fight Pulev for the IBF mandatory position and the one I can't get my head round is refusing to fight Joshua for the four belts. Like you mentioned Whyte has grafted to get back in the mix after losing to Joshua nobody can take that away from him,but refusing the Joshua rematch !?! I'm of the opinion now that Whyte beats Joshua which would have been an epic win for him but he let the opportunity pass. I also think that now Joshua has lost that Hearn is showing Whyte a bit more attention. As for the WBC well they have also done him a favour as they allowed him to fight there no10 ranked fighter for the mandatory position after he refused to fight there no4 ranked fighter (Ortiz). Being fair, now that last nights win has made Whyte the WBC mandatory the WBC should make Wilder fight Whyte after the Ortiz rematch and stop prolonging the fight,however I have a feeling that should Ruiz beat Joshua again Wilder will go after Ruiz and leave Whyte out on the sidelines and as a unification trumps a mandatory there will be nothing that Whyte can do about it.

When i said media whore Mick i didnt mean interviews,all fighters have to do interviews i accept that... im talking in terms of the social media popularity and selling sob stories to a gullible public to gain career momentum instead of winning competitive fights to gain momentum....every man has his price and Dillian isnt willing to sell himself out he knows he is not the finished article and wants to win the title not just get all the trappings of what comes with fighting for it so i can see the logic in being picky,what puts him above others as a sportsman is he isnt willing to sit about waiting having silly staged bouts or like i say whore himself out to gain position he is FIGHTING his way into stronger positions......the ins and outs and fannying about always has and always will go on only now its open for public scrutiny where it was always behind closed doors.....but this jostling for position by NOT fighting is a peculiar new thing that has come into the sport,and certainly for the worse in my opinion,hence i find Whyte a breath of fresh air.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, gnasher16 said:

Tragic news....i cant really put my finger on why but these incidents certainly seem to be on the rise again over the last few years.

Is it a dehydration thing you think ? or should refs and ring side judges be more aware of punishment fighters are taking ? I know there is big money involved but Ive seen many a fight go 1 or 2 rds to far................who knows? and can it be eradicated? 

12 hours ago, gnasher16 said:

When i said media whore Mick i didnt mean interviews,all fighters have to do interviews i accept that... im talking in terms of the social media popularity and selling sob stories to a gullible public to gain career momentum instead of winning competitive fights to gain momentum....every man has his price and Dillian isnt willing to sell himself out he knows he is not the finished article and wants to win the title not just get all the trappings of what comes with fighting for it so i can see the logic in being picky,what puts him above others as a sportsman is he isnt willing to sit about waiting having silly staged bouts or like i say whore himself out to gain position he is FIGHTING his way into stronger positions......the ins and outs and fannying about always has and always will go on only now its open for public scrutiny where it was always behind closed doors.....but this jostling for position by NOT fighting is a peculiar new thing that has come into the sport,and certainly for the worse in my opinion,hence i find Whyte a breath of fresh air.

We all just have to see how it all turns out Gnash, certainly some good fights to be made now. Lets hope all the fights we want to see do happen because if Haymon ends up with all the belts in America he will do his best to make sure they stay over there .

Edited by MickC
  • Like 1
12 hours ago, delswal said:

Is it a dehydration thing you think ? or should refs and ring side judges be more aware of punishment fighters are taking ? I know there is big money involved but Ive seen many a fight go 1 or 2 rds to far................who knows? and can it be eradicated? 

Don't know the stats, but I'd think that with the improvements in strength training, in sports in general, but especially in boxing, fighters are getting hit harder, therefore taking more 'dangerous' headshots. 

There was a move to try to ban boxing some years ago. Don't know if that'd be the answer, with all the money it generates now. And apart from blows to the head being disallowed, as in some martial arts contests, I can't think what else could be done.

Be good to know the stats of ko's by headshots from say up til the 70's and to the current day

There are other sports with a higher loss of life than boxing has unfortunately. Since the Watson tragedy the BBBOC are now probably the best in the World.Banning it would only drive boxing underground with no legislation and very doubtful then for any medical attention/procedures.

https://www.boxingnewsandviews.com/2016/03/31/boxing-is-safer-than-11721/

Edited by MickC
  • Like 1
4 minutes ago, MickC said:

Im sure I read before that there are other sports with a higher loss of life than boxing has unfortunately. Since the Watson tragedy the BBBOC are now probably the best in the World.Banning it would only drive boxing underground with no legislation and very doubtful then for any medical attention/procedures.

Yeah, I don't think banning boxing would do any good mick. And again, same as many potentially dangerous sports, the people that participate know what they are getting into and have to sign medical and legally binding contracts etc. 

• Like 1
15 hours ago, gnasher16 said:

Tragic news....i cant really put my finger on why but these incidents certainly seem to be on the rise again over the last few years.

It's probably down to the level of the heights of strength and conditioning recently. Rugby players are starting to suffer life threatening injuries in the last decade. With sports science these days the atheletes are bigger stronger men than decades ago. Everything is finally tuned to the last detail. They are hitting much harder with perfect diet and training. The brain is just a sponge lying in a sack of water and can't take the increase in power. All across sports it's a completely different level. Take ronaldo as a footballer for example. George best or pele couldn't leap like him. He is as close to a robot as a human can get.https://images.app.goo.gl/JruiBJ8VMCpA6oV88

On 24/07/2019 at 13:01, jiggy said:

It's probably down to the level of the heights of strength and conditioning recently. Rugby players are starting to suffer life threatening injuries in the last decade. With sports science these days the atheletes are bigger stronger men than decades ago. Everything is finally tuned to the last detail. They are hitting much harder with perfect diet and training. The brain is just a sponge lying in a sack of water and can't take the increase in power. All across sports it's a completely different level. Take ronaldo as a footballer for example. George best or pele couldn't leap like him. He is as close to a robot as a human can get.https://images.app.goo.gl/JruiBJ8VMCpA6oV88

Im just not sure,i remember 25 years ago almost to the day we tragically lost a lad i was close to from the local area after a British Title fight,and speaking to the neurosurgeon who worked on him and listening to him saying that ring deaths would be a thing of the past over the coming years....partly due to what was learned by the Watson thing,partly due to 15 rounders being cut to 12....but mostly due to the pressure people like him were putting on governing bodies to ensure referees stopped fights sooner rather than later....and thinking back to that conversation it makes me wonder if referees are simply getting it wrong and stopping the wrong fights early.....using Anthony Joshua as an example i dont think some of his fights should have been stopped as early as they was......quick blow outs like that are completely different to a sustained beating over rounds but referees seemingly stop the crash bang wallop type of fights early but can get lulled into the long gruelling wars and almost become a spectator....i wouldnt like to put it all on them but its maybe something worth thinking about. 

Edited by gnasher16

We will just have to wait and see what comes out of these Whyte rumours of a failed test and even worse with both Hearn and BBBC allegedly knowing about it and not informing Rivas and his camp or the WBC.Remember what I said on the last page that Haymon will do his best to keep all the belts over in America ? It does make you think, Wilder v Povetkin   Wilder v Ortiz  Wilder v Fury  and now Whyte allegedly fails a drug test and gets removed immediately as WBC mandatory and does anybody think that Ruiz is going to rematch Joshua in the UK now ? That is a very coincidental alleged drug test fail and  helps Haymon no end in all sorts of ways. These allegations/rumours need to be dealt with asap !

Edited by MickC
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

By the way would the chap off here who fought my old pal Jimmy Batten get in touch....no big deal just a natter about something.

And my apologies for forgetting your name.....blame the referees ? 

Edited by gnasher16