Leaving Shot Foxes.

It depends where you are. Generally I want to have a look at the critter, just part of the deeply ingrained hunting experience I suppose. Then usually in a hedge bottom out of sight but one keeper I go out with is just happy to leave them where they drop for the carrion eaters.

Very often I'll watch the carcass over the weeks out of interest, they'll have minimal sign of being scavenged for a couple weeks, then all of a sudden just disappear. Personally I reckon there isn't too much that eat fox other than the larger predators, fox and badger.

Edited by Born Hunter

We generally chuck them in a hole, or out of sight in a hedge somewhere.

Interestingly enough, a few weeks back I sat watching two badgers mooching around a hedge bottom where I knew a fox carcass was, watching them through the nv scope it was interesting to see one started to tuck in, then tried to drag it away, moved it maybe 20-30 yards then left it, next day it had dissapeared

• Like 3
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have to get mine disposed of, that generally means incinerated, but fortunately I have free use of several sites. (contra deals)

Not much other than maggots eats the fox in my experience, unless they are desperate, whilst a whole deer carcase can disappear in a week, and rabbits overnight, foxes can often linger!

I believe some French are partial to a bit of Charlie for dinner... :bad:

Always go and have a look at the sex and condition of the critter.Then bush it away from public access.

Apart from when said animal is causing trouble for the landowner.Then leave it for them to see .To show your doing your job.

Interestingly enough, a few weeks back I sat watching two badgers mooching around a hedge bottom where I knew a fox carcass was, watching them through the nv scope it was interesting to see one started to tuck in, then tried to drag it away, moved it maybe 20-30 yards then left it, next day it had dissapeared

Now that is very interesting mate, as I have shot them and put them in a discreet location well away from the public gaze (as I always do) only to find a few days later its gone, now this is not an isolated incident, it has happened a few times, I have always suspected Brock,but never had anything to back up my theory, but your observations certainly seem to suggest Brock will eat them, which in itself is not a bad thing, if he has a belly full of tasty fox meat :bad: he is far less likely to want to go looking for a Lapwing's nest, or dig out that nest of baby rabbits.

• Like 3

Now that is very interesting mate, as I have shot them and put them in a discreet location well away from the public gaze (as I always do) only to find a few days later its gone, now this is not an isolated incident, it has happened a few times, I have always suspected Brock,but never had anything to back up my theory, but your observations certainly seem to suggest Brock will eat them, which in itself is not a bad thing, if he has a belly full of tasty fox meat :bad: he is far less likely to want to go looking for a Lapwing's nest, or dig out that nest of baby rabbits.
Yes I will say i am glad I saw it with my own eyes as I always wondered, and now I know for certain it happens, not sure how common a thing it is, or even if what I saw was an isolated thing, but I saw it, and that's proof enough to me Brock will eat them and move them around.

Suite me fine as I will happily keep feeding Brock as much as possible lol, he doesn't bother my poultry so gets a free pass.

I was recently talking to two people, both showed an interest in wanting foxes, one for the coat, and one lady wants as many skulls as she can get, she hydro dips them, and turns them into ornaments, must say the ones she showed me looked pretty smart, now if I can only talk her into paying for them............

Strange that they'll share the same earth too. Brock probably wouldn't tackle a live fox for satisfying his hunger. It's easier to pick on a shot one or road kill victim

Foxes, rabbits, squirrels whatever you are reducing, my policy is to inspect them, remove them and dispose of them with care and responsibly

Throwing them in a ditch creates problems down the line and if Joe public see a Carcase of any sort it's another mark up against the shooting fraternity, it's so easy to clear up behind you, takes five minutes at the most, keep it tidy no one knows you've been apart the absence of targeted species

The landowner on a bit I have permission on goes out with his mate and leaves 30 or 40 rabbits lying around all over the farm where the footpaths are nearby, the complaints he gets are numerous

If you clear all debris away and tell the farmer your tally for the night and say you've cleared all signs up of being there he'll appreciate that far better than a complaint from the numerous walkers and footpath users finding shot animals

Patrol

• Like 1

I'd normally agree that nothing much will want to feed on a dead fox...

But over the last few weeks I've shot two in the same field and put them in the same hideaway, both were eaten away within days by something. Down to bones and fur left.

Strange.

As for leaving them, I usually tuck them away in the nearest hedge or ditch out of the way of passers by and more importantly they're not going through the mower when it comes to silage!

i thought other foxes / badgers would eat another dead fox, if they were hungry enough .!!

I'd normally agree that nothing much will want to feed on a dead fox...

But over the last few weeks I've shot two in the same field and put them in the same hideaway, both were eaten away within days by something. Down to bones and fur left.

Strange.

As for leaving them, I usually tuck them away in the nearest hedge or ditch out of the way of passers by and more importantly they're not going through the mower when it comes to silage!

i thought other foxes / badgers would eat another dead fox, if they were hungry enough .!!

Ive seen an eagle eating a road kill. I brought a couple of tails home once for a pup to drag round and a bitch ive got stripped out the meat and bones and ate it ha ha.

when i get a fox i take the scalp of it and throw the body in the black berrys. a scalp is worth 10 bucks in victoria.

Many years ago, my local tannery would take the fresh fox pelts off of you for £3.00 a pop in those days a considerable amount of money, bit of a shame there isn't a market now.

Never see a fox laying around then