Net Making..........first Attempt.

I prefer spun nylon as I cant stand hemp, To stop most treads turning on them selfs I put the spools on a rack with a bar going thought so they are free to move.

just keep trying you will get there in the end, it always a great feeling when you catch in a net you have had yourself.

I have taught my youngest daughter to make nets and she getting quite good at it, it just practicing and practicing

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

get knitting you don't know what your missing. 75600 knots later.     TC

I new that one was coming I seen it in my binoculars hahaha

So far, I've got a nice pile of pink spun poly in the bin ! Can't stop it twisting around itself - I've tried all the tips given so far, but no joy.........     Still, at least I'm having fun ! (Wh

well just had a go and second time almost lucky " aint pretty but works fine " first attempt had to scrap it at 9 rows, on row 7 i flunked 2 knots and it was easier to start again ,it took an age and somehow a couple of meshes are slightly out where i started tapering back down and struggled a bit attaching the last ring,got to admit i enjoyed it (a bit like tying flys) recon it will take a while to get up to speed though but going to stick at it for the same reasons as i tie flys and reload my own ammo "i just enjoy catching with something i made myself" think i need to get a smaller needle, i have to push this one very hard to get it through the ring ,i started with some 6z nylon i had about for mending the longnet but think the spun will be better ,it feels it anyway ,couple a week and im set for the next season

You've all a lot more patience than me. Had a go once and sacked it off as a bad job.

Best of luck with it Blackbriar

:laugh: get knitting you don't know what your missing. 75600 knots later.

2009_0418net50yd0006.jpg

TC

• Like 7

You've all a lot more patience than me. Had a go once and sacked it off as a bad job.

Best of luck with it Blackbriar

:laugh: get knitting you don't know what your missing. 75600 knots later.

2009_0418net50yd0006.jpg

TC

:laugh: not a chance. You have my respect :thumbs:

Keep it up mate. I was taught by a lovely Welsh keeper when I was a lad. I still have the playing card gauge he gave me.

I make some every few years but have always forgotten the process in between.

Hemp twine only for me!

Any pictures fella?

Is hemp better than spun poly ?

I keep getting foiled by the poly twisting on itself...........

Without any other information I would guess you are using a traditional needle and standing the ball of twine on it's end to load the needle?

TC

Yes mate. The needle is 8" Osprey, loaded off a vertical spool. I think I know where!you're going with this.......

Just for practise, I made one 6 meshes wide and 10 long. Getting g the hang of the technique, but the net is twisting around itself as I'm making it !

Any help greatly appreciated........

It could be the way the twine was loaded on to the spool, nothing to do with you. Try, putting the spool horizontal with the twine coming off the top of the spool, ( a small box does this job well) pull a yard or so of twine off the spool and cut it and let the end you cut drop, if it spins it is more than likely that it is a fault with the spool, if it does not spin then it is the way you are loading the needle that is causing the twist.

TC

Just another thought, you say your left handed and as you say all the videos are for right handed people. Have a look at this post that I made regarding repairing nets scroll down to the part where knots is in bold. Every right handed person knits from left to right, so when you make the bite on the knot the twine is exiting the knot the way they are travelling, (that is why people turn the net over to get the twine all running the same way) to do that they throw the loop to the left of the knot they are about to make, then go around the back up through the loop and exit on the right hand side.

Instead of starting a row on the left hand side as in the videos, start on the right and instead of going up through the half mesh above go down though it, and throw the loop to the right and exit the knot on the left hand side so the twine is flowing in the direction you are knitting. The reason being if you are putting a twist in the knots that in turn will make the netting twist as it grows.

TC

Edited by tiercel
  • Like 1

what size needle do you experienced guys use on 1" rings ?

Im not a pro but the fella who taught me gave me a split 2" ring to start the net on. Then when i get to the end i cut the string from the needle leaving about 8"inch left loose on the net then hand stitch on to the 1" ring and then take the 2" split ring off the other end and then hand stitch the other 1" ring on.

Others may have better ways but this is the way ive learnt how to do it.

• Like 2

Just for practise, I made one 6 meshes wide and 10 long. Getting g the hang of the technique, but the net is twisting around itself as I'm making it !

Any help greatly appreciated........

It could be the way the twine was loaded on to the spool, nothing to do with you. Try, putting the spool horizontal with the twine coming off the top of the spool, ( a small box does this job well) pull a yard or so of twine off the spool and cut it and let the end you cut drop, if it spins it is more than likely that it is a fault with the spool, if it does not spin then it is the way you are loading the needle that is causing the twist.

TC

Many thanks TC.

I'll try this, and your other tips, later mate.

Keep it up mate. I was taught by a lovely Welsh keeper when I was a lad. I still have the playing card gauge he gave me.

I make some every few years but have always forgotten the process in between.

Hemp twine only for me!

Any pictures fella?

Is hemp better than spun poly ?

I keep getting foiled by the poly twisting on itself...........

When I used to make my own I always preferred spun poly, the bit of stretch in it really kept those knots tight imo. Soon f****d off hemp. One thing that used to piss me off was snapping the twine when pulling a knot shut a bit too forcefully!

Great making your own nets but I could never work fast enough to really make it worth while. Useful skill to have though for repairing bought nets.

• Like 1